Braxton Berrios shows up early in hopes of staying late with patriots

CanesLifer2

Junior
Braxton Berrios shows up early in the hopes of staying late with the Patriots
Posted by Mike Florio on July 14, 2019, 10:33 AM EDT

New England’s rookies don’t report until July 21. A guy who spent his rookie season on injured reserve already is there.

As explained by Mike Reiss of ESPN.com, Braxton Berrios showed up early in the hopes of becoming one of the options on a depth chart that, beyond Julian Edelman and N'Keal Harry, is wide open. Reiss gives Berrios a real shot at landing a roster spot, based on a strong offseason program and the ability to return punts.

Standing at only five feet, nine inches, the 2018 sixth-round pick becomes a candidate to play in the slot — and maybe to eventually take over for a certain seventh-round pick who became Super Bowl MVP.

The key, as Reiss notes, will be staying healthy. If Berrios is able to suit up and compete on a regular basis, he could end up standing out in a crowded house at the position.

Currently, the Patriots have 12 receivers on the roster. Edelman, Harry, and special-teams captain Matthew Slater are guaranteed roster spots. Philip Dorsett, Dontrelle Inman, and Demaryius Thomas also are in the mix, and there’s a good chance at least one of them will get a short straw, especially since receivers at the bottom of the depth chart will be expected to contribute on special teams.
Berrios seems ready to contribute in any way that he can. That gives him an edge if, again, he can stay healthy.

Man this kid is awesome. I truly hope the best for him, met him a few times and is just a really good person, and an extremely hard worker. Just wish he didn’t play for the pats... wish him the best of luck though, a cane fan favorite for sure

Advertisement
Advertisement
Didn't watch the game, but he apparently had a strong showing last night

Here is what a fan site wrote about him: Really excited to see him running some of the staple routes from their scheme.

Winner: WR Braxton Berrios

Second-year wide receiver Braxton Berrios capped his best week of training camp with a very good outing in the preseason opener. While his stat-line does not exactly jump off the page — he caught three passes for 45 and had four punt returns for 35 — he looked comfortable out there as a route runner and when it came to getting open quickly. His whip route on a 4th and 2 conversion in the second quarter surely made Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola proud.

It's the Pats so I have a tough time pulling for them to keep a ton of Canes so give me Braxton or Dorsett if one of them takes each other's roster spot.

Funny how that article says Berrios is "only" 5'9" but then you see the Pats have Dorsett listed at "only" 5'10".

pats receiving corps has quite a bit of redundancy, doesn't it? Like how many under 6-ft possession guys do you keep? Wonder if Dorsett pushes out Berios :(

Advertisement
Will always root for a guy that not only went to UM, but also posts on this board. Look forward to reading his updates on here when he provides them.

Advertisement
pats receiving corps has quite a bit of redundancy, doesn't it? Like how many under 6-ft possession guys do you keep? Wonder if Dorsett pushes out Berios :(

I don't think so as they are playing different positions. Berrios would ultimately back-up edleman in the slot, they draft Harry in the first round so he will likely lock down one spot, with Dorsett as the last WR. Dorsett has the speed to take the top off a defense plus Berrios has been getting looks as a punt returner (again to spell edleman) so he may have added value as a special teamer.

Ahh, gotcha. No, that's superstar sports agent, Austin Pfenninger. A different white former Miami WR.
I know you're probably kidding, but.. David Kintigh, Aaron Moser, Jeff Popovich (before he got moved to safety).. I'm sure a few more I'm forgetting.

Advertisement
Not looking good. Did not even suit up after just one catch last week. I think with Gordon back he is toast. Dorsett had a good game.

Advertisement
Back