Brands with Potential

ball915

All-American
Brand by each P5 conference that doesn't have a Tier 1 past but has potential to get there after being a Tier 2 for some time.

ACC - Virginia Tech
B12 - Oklahoma State
B10 - Wisconsin
P12 - Washington
SEC - Texas A&M

Advertisement
I honestly don't see any of these programs ever being "tier 1" but it also helps if you could define your definition of tiers.

Brand by each P5 conference that doesn't have a Tier 1 past but has potential to get there after being a Tier 2 for some time.

ACC - Virginia Tech
B12 - Oklahoma State
B10 - Wisconsin
P12 - Washington
SEC - Texas A&M
Is this your take or coming from an article somewhere? I am curious what teams in the ACC you/they believe do have a Tier 1 past outside of Miami, Clemson and FSU, b/c I don't think I would include UNC as having ever been Tier 1 and I don't know if they could ever get there, but I would think they would have a better shot than VT at this point.

Advertisement
VT was only revelent due to a probation riddled Miami and Michael Vick. Other than that, well....... Washington hasnt been the same since that brutal beating in '01. A&M will always be on the outside looking in as long as Alabama and UGA are around. As for Wisconsin and Okla St, well in the words of the iconic Eddie King Jr, "You cant get it cause you aint got it."

The only list Vag Tech belongs on is a top 5 list of "major" programs that you're most pessimistic about their long term ability to have any real success/relevance.

Ol' Coach Neck Goiter along with a drunkard but highly functioning DC and a few extraneous factors breaking their way were the only reason that program was what it was. The environment is changing in ways that all work against that program now and Beamer/Foster ain't walking through that door again.

The Washington teams of 1990 and 1991 are seemingly immortalized in perception of the program. They're not consistent enough to be on this list.

Advertisement
As for The Turkey, without peak Beamer it isn't the same.

VT is going to suck until the second coming. I don't think they can hang in the new NIL era... Their spring game was free for attendees with optional donatio to NIL, which goes to show how hurt they are. I miss the days of them being relevant.
I miss the days of the University of Miami being relevant. Go Canes 🏈

Is this your take or coming from an article somewhere? I am curious what teams in the ACC you/they believe do have a Tier 1 past outside of Miami, Clemson and FSU, b/c I don't think I would include UNC as having ever been Tier 1 and I don't know if they could ever get there, but I would think they would have a better shot than VT at this point.
Personal opinion and agree that Miami, FSU and Clemson are the legit Tier 1's in the ACC. UNC very well might have a higher upside but just doesn't have the history that VT does for the sake of the post with history being part of the criteria. As another poster said VT likely had peaked under Beamer which is a fair point and really only were elite with Vick. Until Clemson went on their recent run they would have been the ideal pick for this post but have without a doubt elevated themselves into a Tier 1 program.

first, who is tier 1?

ACC- Miami, GT
B1G- Nebraska
Big12- Texas
PAC12- Utah, Colorado
Sec- Florida

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back