Brandon Powell

Jassid82

Senior
Premium
Im not usually a "thread starter" but ****..I guess i am in just one of those moods today. Just wanted to give some feedback on BP. Got dragged out to the game by my homeboy. His sisters husband is BPs massage therapist so we got some free tickets.

- First off, IF deerfield had gotten ANY FARTHER in the playoffs we should have taken up a collection to put a hit out on their head coach. This dude OVER uses BP. Little dude plays RB, Slot, DB, PR and KR. FULL TIME. AND my homeboys sister husband said hes got a serious groin problem. Goes to him for therapy daily. BP was limping noticeably throughout the game and they were STILL riding him. I got to the point where I wanted to walk down on the field my **** self in the 3rd qtr when they were down 30-0, and tell the coach that the game was over. Give it up. BP has got bigger and better things to look forward to then to save your dumba$$ pride. Smh.

- Second, There is no way Powell should ever suit up at RB for us. Dude is too little. Smaller than Duke. And he is not as strong Dallas. (Pound for Pound Dallas might be the strongest guy on the team IMO.) I see why the coaches are still putting the full court press on Cook and Sony. We need another RB in this class. Powell aint it..BUT

- This kid would be a stud DB. He is fast, feisty, can mix it up, can tackle, isnt afraid, and wont back down. Reminds me of the first time i saw Greg Reid at an all star game. This kid could shut things down at DB if we gave him a RS. I see why we are kicking Turner to the curb. Seems like the staff plans on converting BP, gaining JCs commitment and turning Mayes into a safety. (I am guessing about Mayes. But it says alot about Mayes that BP is ALOT more physical then he is and Mayes is 6'1 190 and Powell is prob 5'8 175 on his best day.)

- Excited to have this kid on board. This is the type of athlete and football player Butch would have loved. Give him a RS and turn him loose.

Sidenotes:

- Tyrek Cole looks the part but he didnt get to do much because well..Deerfield ran BP even when Miramar had the entire team in the **** box. Smh. Deerfield QB sucks apparently.

- Deerfield DE/DT Jason Strawbridge was very underwhelming. He looks the part though. But lets just say his jersey was MIGHTY CLEAN for someone who plays in trenches. What does that tell you? Smh.

Advertisement
Great writeup.

I tend to agree. Powell is strong up top, but he's light in the lower body for someone as short as he is. CB/KR seems like the best role for him to excel.

I totally agree, this kid is a CB all the way. With his running ability and game breaking speed I fully expect to see him taking INT's to the house all the time. Miami is in serious need for explosive playmakers on defense, and BP is exactly that.

Possible CB Class:
Brandon Powell
Nigel Bethel
J.C. Jackson

That is next level recruiting right there.

Advertisement
Kid is way too explosive to not have the ball in his hands. Tavon Austin was too small to play RB. So should they have moved him to db?

Kid is way too explosive to not have the ball in his hands. Tavon Austin was too small to play RB. So should they have moved him to db?

Im in this camp as well. I really wanna see what we can do with Brandon Powell by getting him the ball in space. We landed Corn Elder in 2013 and I felt the same way but he got moved to DB. Im hopeful that we can use Powell on offense but I don't think I'd be disappointed if he played corner. Just a stud athlete and will be a big addition to our roster somewhere on the field.

Because he doesnt have that extra gear that Tavon Austin had, plain and simple. Now that is not to say the kid isnt a great athlete that cant do major damage at the next level. If anything I like the kid in the slot or on third down as a RB, but reports on here have been that he doesnt have the greatest hands. On the flip side the kid is physical and athletic enough to be a a serious contributor at CB. Remember he is small, but as a CB he will be asked to get in there with WRs, which is way different than dealing with LBs. I also see a DB, **** the kid looks physical enough to play safety, as another poster on here stated, Bob Sanders type game.

Advertisement
Pecos the Diver, when this kid actually had to go toe to toe with athletes just as good as him he had a hard time. Not because of speed or agility. He just couldnt take the pounding. You are thinking this kid is like 185. Hes not. He MIGHT be 175. Listen to ya boy when I tell you buddy reminds me of Greg Reid. Yeah he COULD be a good RB for us. But he could be a GREAT CB. JMO. And if we get DC there wont be a need for him at RB.

But there will be a need at DB. He will be a RS-Fr when Tracy/A.Crawford and Hope are seniors. Burns will be a JR and if you let folks on here tell it they expect him to leave early. So thats FOUR DBs gone that year alone. (Tracy COULD leave early next year also)

Point being, He has a higher ceiling and the need is more at DB.

Pecos the Diver, when this kid actually had to go toe to toe with athletes just as good as him he had a hard time. Not because of speed or agility. He just couldnt take the pounding. You are thinking this kid is like 185. Hes not. He MIGHT be 175. Listen to ya boy when I tell you buddy reminds me of Greg Reid. Yeah he COULD be a good RB for us. But he could be a GREAT CB. JMO. And if we get DC there wont be a need for him at RB.

But there will be a need at DB. He will be a RS-Fr when Tracy/A.Crawford and Hope are seniors. Burns will be a JR and if you let folks on here tell it they expect him to leave early. So thats FOUR DBs gone that year alone. (Tracy COULD leave early next year also)

46.png

i see him at RB. the difference i see with him and corn is that he has elite vision, its kinda undervalued on the high school level because of speed and sometime scheme but dude has IT

I like BP at DB. We need to put better athletes in the secondary and the front 7. I think we are making strides. We will see what happens to players like BP, Gray and hopefully JC Jackson too. Linebacker wise, we have a few athletes that are young now like grace, figeroa and will add Juwon Young and Darrion Owens..beasts

Advertisement

Duke was 5-10 176 his sr. Year of hs. Move him to corner? I'm not saying put him at RB either. If everyone is saying he's physical enough to play safety or corner then how would he not be physical enough to redshirt and put on some mass to carry the ball? You're basically saying he's not durable enough to take hits and carry the ball, so you want him to move to defense to make tackles and man up physically on wrs? Ok.

Isn't this what corn elder was for ? Everyone complaining about lack of depth at the ball carrier position while we move elder to db coupled along with some more young dbs , but you want to take the ball out of the hands of easily one of the most explosive players we have in the class? Seems legit. He'd make more of a positive impact on the game getting the ball 5-10 times a game instead of playing defense imo

Last edited:
Advertisement

Duke was 5-10 176 his sr. Year of hs. Move him to corner? I'm not saying put him at RB either. If everyone is saying he's physical enough to play safety or corner then how would he not be physical enough to redshirt and put on some mass to carry the ball? You're basically saying he's not durable enough to take hits and carry the ball, so you want him to move to defense to make tackles and man up physically on wrs? Ok.

Isn't this what corn elder was for ? Everyone complaining about lack of depth at the ball carrier position while we move elder to db coupled along with some more young dbs , but you want to take the ball out of the hands of easily one of the most explosive players we have in the class? Seems legit. He'd make more of a positive impact on the game getting the ball 5-10 times a game instead of playing defense imo

Manning up regularly against against WR is way different then DL and LBs. The difference between him and Duke was pure and simple the way they are built. Duke has a strong and bigger lower base, this allowed him to bulk up to 205 in his soph year and he will still get bigger and I see him at around 210-215 by the time he leaves. Powell on the other hand just wont get that much bigger, and Im willing to bet that. On top of that yes the kid is explosive, but I dont see Duke like explosive, and sure as **** dont see Coley type explosiveness.

- Deerfield DE/DT Jason Strawbridge was very underwhelming. He looks the part though. But lets just say his jersey was MIGHTY CLEAN for someone who plays in trenches. What does that tell you? Smh.

After watching the St. Thomas game, I cannot agree with this. That kid was everywhere and showed very good technique. Definitely a kid I would love to replace Chickilo. Makes it look stupid easy.

Also I see them using Powell as a Slot/running back. Dexter McCluster is the player I see being used like.

Last edited:
Too many people focus solely on a player's weight rather than how it is distributed. You need to take into account how he's going to be able to fill out. Also consider how they handle their current load compared to what they'll have to do in college. Tavon Austin is a bad comparison simply because he proved to be elite very early on. Austin never wore down in high school and played receiver in college. Sure they used him at runningback but he was incredible at avoiding hits. When you tackled him, you rarely got a clean shot.

Manning up regularly against against WR is way different then DL and LBs. The difference between him and Duke was pure and simple the way they are built. Duke has a strong and bigger lower base, this allowed him to bulk up to 205 in his soph year and he will still get bigger and I see him at around 210-215 by the time he leaves. Powell on the other hand just wont get that much bigger, and Im willing to bet that. On top of that yes the kid is explosive, but I dont see Duke like explosive, and sure as **** dont see Coley type explosiveness.

LMAO Duke is 190-192 at best lol... He is no where near 200 yet alone 205..

Advertisement
Back