Brad Kaaya arm strength

I am not trying to down the kid, but that throw was against A&M so its not like it was against UL, FSU, etc.. He surely had some great plays, as shown on the ball to nearby, or even PD. But lets not forget what the scouts had to say about PD... How the **** does this guy only get 36 catches? Well, some of its play calling and some of it was the inability to make the throws that PD would thrive with. The deep out is something he should kill as the Cb is probably backpedaling pretty **** fast.... I'd be very interested to se one of those completion charts based on where the throw went on the field, I think you would see a high pct. inside of 15-18 yds and in the middle of the field. And that is fine, however part of his progression for me to think he'll be an elite pro is the ability to drive the deeper balls in there...

Advertisement
There aren't many QBs that can throw that 15 yard out to the wide side of the field. That's an NFL throw that takes more than just arm strength. Even the guys with cannons but lacking accuracy and timing won't throw that ball but, on the other hand, guys with subpar arm strength can throw it if they have the other attributes. Not a throw I'd ask a true freshman to make often, if at all.

Do you remember the latter days of Larry Coker? We all were begging to see throws over the middle again. You will never, ever hear me complain about a QB throwing the ball over the middle as long as I live, if they are completing passes.
My concern is that 90% of his completions came in the middle of the field. Dump offs to Duke, Clive. I think he struggles to throw the deep throws that aren't just chuck it out there bombs. We did not throw the 15 yard out to the wide side of the field, and we got away from the back shoulder throw as well. Those are ,timing and arm strength throws. I am looking for his vision to improve. Some of the times our offense looked bad were because they clogged up the box, in doing that they also clogged up the middle of the passing lanes.

Kid is a stud though. I think his arm strength is plenty good enough to do those things. Its just a matter of repetition and the confidence to make those plays. As with any College soph it would be nice to see him go through his progressions more too. a lot of those dumps offs were probably not the second read, when his first wasn't there he quickly went to the dump off. Which is why so many WR's numbers were down so much last yr.

I am not trying to down the kid, but that throw was against A&M so its not like it was against UL, FSU, etc.. He surely had some great plays, as shown on the ball to nearby, or even PD. But lets not forget what the scouts had to say about PD... How the **** does this guy only get 36 catches? Well, some of its play calling and some of it was the inability to make the throws that PD would thrive with. The deep out is something he should kill as the Cb is probably backpedaling pretty **** fast.... I'd be very interested to se one of those completion charts based on where the throw went on the field, I think you would see a high pct. inside of 15-18 yds and in the middle of the field. And that is fine, however part of his progression for me to think he'll be an elite pro is the ability to drive the deeper balls in there...

While Phillip Dorsett caught 36 passes, he was targeted a team high 72 times. Herb Waters was the target ~ 25 while he caught ~ 21 passes.

This was probably one of my favorite plays last year:

http://im.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-4001848593.gif

SlushyCalculatingAtlanticspadefish.gif

Kaaya was patient, found a wide open Yearby, and hit him in stride with a 50 yard bomb for a TD

Yes. They were in man coverage too.. See how open Yearby was?? 2nd or 3rd option. Kaaya nailed it.

Advertisement
Obviously, he was the second option, he looks his first option, and then looks for the rb, who happens to be streaking down the sideline against a safety that had jumped the out portion of the pattern. Not denying it was a good play.

I do recall the Coker days. I recall the RS days too when we were doing the same thing.

A lot of those targets where PD being the first read, open or not getting it thrown his way on a basic go route.... I was saying all year, where is the deep out, the deep in, the long crossing routes, where PD could use his speed to do something other than run a straight line...It felt at times like they had certain routes for certain guys, PD go the go routes, Coley got the bubble screens, Clive got the middle of the field and short intermediate routes along with the other guys sprinkled in... Herb got some ins and outs and Brax and mac got some third down looks. Duke got all the dump offs, so bad that at times we looked the first route and just dumped it to duke. Which is never a bad idea, but it was also the reason we got jammed up offensively at times because we were so predictable...

Again guys, I think some of it is BK and most of it is the OC. Which was why I have been saying that NO coach on this staff should get a reprieve if we under achieve. OC is a tool sometimes with his play calling. I think a guy like Mark Whipple and his plays would be insane with Kaaya. He got sold out by JH throwing into double coverage all the time and probably the worst wr play since I've followed the program. There were a crap ton of drops then..... but no need to bring that up...

I just want to see BK drive more throws into tighter windows to keep the passing game dynamic. I want to see him take the next step into complete domination. I actually think he will, it just may not be this yr under this staff... Might have to wait a yr...

great play...also the one where I think he is getting sacked and finds Duke last second 20-30 yes down field... Great vision
This was probably one of my favorite plays last year:

http://im.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-4001848593.gif

SlushyCalculatingAtlanticspadefish.gif

Kaaya was patient, found a wide open Yearby, and hit him in stride with a 50 yard bomb for a TD

Forgot that throw was as far as it was. One of our only true back breakers that we delivered over the past few years.

Advertisement
My concern is that 90% of his completions came in the middle of the field. Dump offs to Duke, Clive. I think he struggles to throw the deep throws that aren't just chuck it out there bombs. We did not throw the 15 yard out to the wide side of the field, and we got away from the back shoulder throw as well. Those are ,timing and arm strength throws. I am looking for his vision to improve. Some of the times our offense looked bad were because they clogged up the box, in doing that they also clogged up the middle of the passing lanes.

Kid is a stud though. I think his arm strength is plenty good enough to do those things. Its just a matter of repetition and the confidence to make those plays. As with any College soph it would be nice to see him go through his progressions more too. a lot of those dumps offs were probably not the second read, when his first wasn't there he quickly went to the dump off. Which is why so many WR's numbers were down so much last yr.

CloudyFondAnt.gif

hope he is better with his pre-snap reads. Look at Gus wide open at the bottom of the screen for an easy touchdown.

Advertisement

proxy.php

hope he is better with his pre-snap reads. Look at Gus wide open at the bottom of the screen for an easy touchdown.

I think this is where you'll see his biggest jump. Kid might win us 8 games on his own.

he made some dud throws, which was to be expected from a true freshman

but he also made some fantastic throws that i don't even think prime ken dorsey could've made

Most overrated attribute for a college QB.

Give me a QB that can consistently throw far enough to make first downs and you can keep the guy who occasionally throws the pretty long ball.*

*the latter reminds me of a recent loser but can't quite remember Randy's favorites.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back