Bracketology

Advertisement
No, virtually no shot at a 3 seed at this point. Quad 4 loss will kill us.
I really feel like you are going to die on the cross of that quad 4 loss. There are four Quad 1 teams with a Quad 4 loss, so while it’s not great, it’s not a put Miami on the 8/9 line type of loss.

I really feel like you are going to die on the cross of that quad 4 loss. There are four Quad 1 teams with a Quad 4 loss, so while it’s not great, it’s not a put Miami on the 8/9 line type of loss.

Did he say Miami should be 8/9? Seems like all he's saying is Miami won't be a 3...

Nobody said that it was, but history shows that the conference tourney's don't really move the needle much for the committee. That quad 4 loss will loom large. It hurts us at least on seed line. I think if we lose our first game in the ACC tourney, we will end up a 6 seed. If we win our first game, we will be a 5. If we win the whole thing, we will be a 4.

I know it’s fun to speculate but to0 often like what we did last year maybe half the seeded teams finish up where they should have. Don’t lose to much sleep where they put us.

Advertisement
Did he say Miami should be 8/9? Seems like all he's saying is Miami won't be a 3...
No. It’s called exaggeration. He keeps saying definitively there is no world or scenario that sees Miami come off the 5 line.

You do have others on here, that probably found out 2 weeks ago we had a basketball team, that had Miami lost to Pitt and their first ACC tournament game they would drop to an 8 seed.

In college basketball everything is fluid because you never know who else is going to lose.

Nobody said that it was, but history shows that the conference tourney's don't really move the needle much for the committee. That quad 4 loss will loom large. It hurts us at least on seed line. I think if we lose our first game in the ACC tourney, we will end up a 6 seed. If we win our first game, we will be a 5. If we win the whole thing, we will be a 4.
I can completely agree with this. I think 4 is there if we win the tournament but at the end of the day all 4 does is get you out of that 5v12 game.

We needed a 3 to avoid the 1 seed as long as possible and we blew that against FSU.

No. It’s called exaggeration. He keeps saying definitively there is no world or scenario that sees Miami come off the 5 line.

You do have others on here, that probably found out 2 weeks ago we had a basketball team, that had Miami lost to Pitt and their first ACC tournament game they would drop to an 8 seed.

In college basketball everything is fluid because you never know who else is going to lose.
Nowhere did I say that Miami can't come off the 5 line. I said that our best case scenario is to get to the 4 line. A 3 seed is simply out of the question. There is virtually no realistic scenario where we can get to the 3 line.

If we lose our first game in the tourney, I think there is a good chance we end up on the 6 line. Had we lost to Pitt, I think that would have brought the 7 line into the equation if we went 0-1 in the ACC tourney.

Nowhere did I say that Miami can't come off the 5 line. I said that our best case scenario is to get to the 4 line. A 3 seed is simply out of the question. There is virtually no realistic scenario where we can get to the 3 line.

If we lose our first game in the tourney, I think there is a good chance we end up on the 6 line. Had we lost to Pitt, I think that would have brought the 7 line into the equation if we went 0-1 in the ACC tourney.
You're devaluing our resume significantly

Advertisement
If we lose first game or the semis then I'm going with a 5 seed, make it to the championship 4 seed, win the ACC and get some help then we should get a 3 seed.

You're devaluing our resume significantly
I'm not at all. We look terrible in the metrics, and you get hurt quite a bit more by bad losses than you get credit for with good wins, and we have 2 REALLY bad losses.

I would agree with many in this thread that the metrics are hogwash, but we know for a fact that the committee considers the NCAA Net Rankings very heavily when establishing seeds and we are in the mid-30's in those rankings.

You can continue with your wishful thinking, but there is virtually no scenario where we can get to a 3 and a 6 seeds is absolutely something that is in the cards.

The good thing is that we are highly range bound between a 4 seed and a 6 seed. The bad thing is that we are highly range bound between a 4 seed and a 6 seed.

If we lose first game or the semis then I'm going with a 5 seed, make it to the championship 4 seed, win the ACC and get some help then we should get a 3 seed.

I agree with most of what you say here except the last part. We won't get a 3 seed, even if everyone ahead of us goes 0-1 in their respective conference tourneys.

A decent loss usually doesn't move the needle. Winning the whole **** thing is usually impactful and can put you over a couple of other similar teams. The committee likes teams that win things. They do.

Advertisement
A decent loss usually doesn't move the needle. Winning the whole **** thing is usually impactful and can put you over a couple of other similar teams. The committee likes teams that win things. They do.
Yes, they do, but they aren't going to overlook significant ugly losses and our home loss to FSU is probably the worst loss of any of the at-large bid teams. It really cannot be understated how bad that loss was. It was horrendous. No way around that and we deserve to get dinged a seed line because of it.

Yes, they do, but they aren't going to overlook significant ugly losses and our home loss to FSU is probably the worst loss of any of the at-large bid teams. It really cannot be understated how bad that loss was. It was horrendous. No way around that and we deserve to get dinged a seed line because of it.

Yes but you're changing the subject. We are solely discussing if it matters, with all things being equal (aka every minute and game we've played until this moment), if we can improve our seed, FROM HERE, by winning the ACC Tourney. While of course it matters what other teams do, I say we can certainly help our resume. These games do in fact, matter.

This isn't college football where nearly every single game is ride or die. The basketball season is a long one, with 30+ games for some. Slip ups happen. At one point or another a team is going to **** the bed and lose to an inferior team. It's the way of the college basketball world. IF Miami wins the ACC tourney, all should be forgotten and Miami would deserve a top 3 seed.

Advertisement
This isn't college football where nearly every single game is ride or die. The basketball season is a long one, with 30+ games for some. Slip ups happen. At one point or another a team is going to **** the bed and lose to an inferior team. It's the way of the college basketball world. IF Miami wins the ACC tourney, all should be forgotten and Miami would deserve a top 3 seed.

Agree the ACC tourney matters as I said, but nothing is ever forgotten in a subjective situation where humans seed a tournament, and the different in a seed can be a hair between two very similar seasons. Our bad losses will be compared to others teams bad losses, or lack there of.

Let's just go 1-0 on Thursday and go from there.

Agree the ACC tourney matters as I said, but nothing is ever forgotten in a subjective situation where humans seed a tournament, and the different in a seed can be a hair between two very similar seasons. Our bad losses will be compared to others teams bad losses, or lack there of.

Let's just go 1-0 on Thursday and go from there.
I don't see anyway they can seed the ACC regular season and conference champion lower than a 3 seed. Come to think of it, has it ever happened before? If there's a precedent then I'll rethink it, but if it's never happened before I don't think it should happen now. We win our next 3 games, then that would put us at 27-6. An ACC team with a 27-6 record, regular season champs, and ACC tournament champions still carries weight.

Yes but you're changing the subject. We are solely discussing if it matters, with all things being equal (aka every minute and game we've played until this moment), if we can improve our seed, FROM HERE, by winning the ACC Tourney. While of course it matters what other teams do, I say we can certainly help our resume. These games do in fact, matter.
I'm really not sure what you are trying to argue. Bottom line. If we win the ACC tourney, no matter what happens with every other team, the best we can hope for is a 4 seed. That's all that really matters. We aren't getting a 3 seed, period.

Advertisement
Back