Bracketology

More than anything, the reason the 4 seed is more appealing to me than the 5 seed is that getting the 4 seed makes it much more likely that the 1st/2nd round games Miami gets drawn into are played in Orlando. The top 4 seeds get protection from being placed into a situation where there is a 'home crowd disadvantage' during the second round. If Miami is a 5 seed, we likely don't get Orlando as a result. But if we are a 4 seed, given the lack of teams in the Southeast that will get a top 4 seed (and the ones that will like Alabama/Tennessee/Virginia are closer to Birmingham and Greensboro), we probably will get to play in Orlando.

That's much easier for travel purposes, and probably puts Miami in the best position to have more fans there.

Advertisement
Let’s take an updated look at the clown rankings otherwise known as NET. A comparison of two teams….

Team A: 19-6 record. Two losses this week (one at home) to unranked opponents. Quad 1 record - 4-2; Quad 2 record - 4-4; Road games - 4-3. NET ranking - 3 (unchanged)

Team B: 20-5 record. Two wins this week, no losses. Quad 1 record - 5-4; Quad 2 record - 3-0; Road games - 5-4. NET ranking - 32 (down two spots)

I don’t give a **** about “defensive or offensive efficiency, etc.”. Games and championships are decided by wins and losses. Someone please explain how in the **** the ncaa plans on using this joke of a system when seeding teams for the tourney.

Team A is Tennessee who didn’t move a single spot with two losses this week to unranked teams. #3.

Team B is Miami.. who fell to #32 after last night. Two spots behind….. DUKE!

Criminal.

Let’s take an updated look at the clown rankings otherwise known as NET. A comparison of two teams….

Team A: 19-6 record. Two losses this week (one at home) to unranked opponents. Quad 1 record - 4-2; Quad 2 record - 4-4; Road games - 4-3. NET ranking - 3 (unchanged)

Team B: 20-5 record. Two wins this week, no losses. Quad 1 record - 5-4; Quad 2 record - 3-0; Road games - 5-4. NET ranking - 32 (down two spots)

I don’t give a **** about “defensive or offensive efficiency, etc.”. Games and championships are decided by wins and losses. Someone please explain how in the **** the ncaa plans on using this joke of a system when seeding teams for the tourney.

Team A is Tennessee who didn’t move a single spot with two losses this week to unranked teams. #3.

Team B is Miami.. who fell to #32 after last night. Two spots behind….. DUKE!

Criminal.

Lol alright. Try taking a Zanax.

It's a flawed metric, like every other metric in the world. And just like every other metric, you need to understand it and consider it in the proper context for it to be useful.

As has been said thousands of times over the years, a team's NET rating is largely irrelevant to the committee. It's mostly used to separate teams' opponents into the quad system.

Hence why despite the #3 NET, Tennessee is now being seeded as a 3. Hence why despite a higher NET than us, Duke is being seeded 2 entire seed lines lower than us. You've created some crazy strawman argument, based on a complete misunderstanding of how the NET is used, and worked yourself up into a tizzy.

I'm seeing us as a 4 seed or a 5 seed in every bracket this morning. That seems extremely fair.

It's a flawed metric, like every other metric in the world. And just like every other metric, you need to understand it and consider it in the proper context for it to be useful.

As has been said thousands of times over the years, a team's NET rating is largely irrelevant to the committee. It's mostly used to separate teams' opponents into the quad system.

Hence why despite the #3 NET, Tennessee is now being seeded as a 3. Hence why despite a higher NET than us, Duke is being seeded 2 entire seed lines lower than us. You've created some crazy strawman argument, based on a complete misunderstanding of how the NET is used, and worked yourself up into a tizzy.

I'm seeing us as a 4 seed or a 5 seed in every bracket this morning. That seems extremely fair.

Lol worked myself into a tizzy? Nah I’m actually perfectly fine…. Just pointing out how flawed the NET “rankings” are.

And let’s not forget these “metrics” were in use last year straight up ******* the “down” ACC only to see three teams in the final 8.

If the committee doesn’t pay attention to them then care explaining why Tennessee is “largely on the 3 line this morning”? - which is ahead of where Canes are being seeded. When the **** metric they use shows, Miami has the stronger resume.

The SEC better than the ACC or something?? ….I’m sure they were last year too, until Miami anal raped 2 seed Auburn…. 🙄

Our strength of record rank is 14 and Tennessee is 20. And they are consistently being seeded above us in projections. That isn’t extremely fair.

O/D efficiency metrics are terrible ranking systems because there’s too many confounding variables that are not accounted for and badly skew the rankings.

Advertisement
Lol worked myself into a tizzy? Nah I’m actually perfectly fine…. Just pointing out how flawed the NET “rankings” are.

And let’s not forget these “metrics” were in use last year straight up ******* the “down” ACC only to see three teams in the final 8.

If the committee doesn’t pay attention to them then care explaining why Tennessee is “largely on the 3 line this morning”? - which is ahead of where Canes are being seeded. When the **** metric they use shows, Miami has the stronger resume.

The SEC better than the ACC or something?? ….I’m sure they were last year too, until Miami anal raped 2 seed Auburn…. 🙄

It's actually pretty simple, but it does not sound like you have any interest in understanding. You just want to ***** and moan.

Tennessee has a big advantage in 3 areas the committee looks at. They have better top-end wins (we beat UVA at home; they beat Texas at home and KU on a neutral floor). They don't have any quad 3+4 losses (we have a hideous loss to GT). And they have a huge advantage in the predictive metrics (BPI, Sagarin, Kenpom).

The committee looks at 2 resume based metrics: KPI and SOR. We have a slight edge in SOR, but they have an edge in KPI.

Looking at their publicly-stated criteria, being a seed or two below Tennessee seems very fair. We have an edge in a couple of areas, but they have an edge in more.

Of course, I don't think you actually care about any of this.

Is getting a 4-13 game really much better than having a 5-12. Very wide open tourney this year. There will be more "shocking" upsets than ever (which are really NOT upsets).

Look at our league -- not one dominant team in the ACC. And, you can say that about pretty much every league. Is Purdue really that scary? They weren't even ranked coming into this season (if Edey gets injured or in fouls trouble ...). Tennessee was thought to be potentially great; now, they can struggle to score 50 pts. Alabama is good but ,... that rout at Oklahoma???

Historically, getting a 3 seed is the biggest deal to me. Usually there are 1-3 really, really good teams in CBB and if you are a three you avoid them until the regional final, at worst.

I know its more fun to discuss the various rosy outcomes, but can anyone sensibly capture the potential downside? Let's say we lose all of the last 5, or maybe 4. Would we be in danger of bubbletime, or need a tourney win then? It's of course possible we can win out, but its not exactly IMpossible to "lose" out.

Beat NC tonight put all this hand-wringing to bed, of course ... GO Canes!

I know its more fun to discuss the various rosy outcomes, but can anyone sensibly capture the potential downside? Let's say we lose all of the last 5, or maybe 4. Would we be in danger of bubbletime, or need a tourney win then? It's of course possible we can win out, but its not exactly IMpossible to "lose" out.

Beat NC tonight put all this hand-wringing to bed, of course ... GO Canes!
I guarantee you without any doubt whatsoever unequivocally, we will not lose out.

Advertisement
You have that little faith in this team?

What exactly would lead you to believe that we’re just going to suddenly lose 4 games in a row when we haven’t done that all year?
I've seen too much inconsistent and sometimes downright awful basketball along the way to be real real confident... but its sorta like an "expect the worst" reverse jinx :)

Advertisement
Advertisement
You have that little faith in this team?

What exactly would lead you to believe that we’re just going to suddenly lose 4 games in a row when we haven’t done that all year?

A basic understanding of probabilities. And it's 5* in a row, counting the ACCT.

It's highly unlikely to happen. But the odds are not 0%. They're effectively 0%, but they're not 0%.

Maybe Wong tears his ACL, Miller strains a hamstring, and Omier gets in foul trouble in a couple of games. Idk. It'd likely take a couple of instances of pretty bad luck to finish that poorly.

If we lose all 5, we finish 21-10, 12-8. That’s probably still enough to make the NCAAT, but with a 5 game losing streak, including a home less to FSU, I'd be nervous about it on Selection Sunday.

I think 1 more and we're a true lock.

Advertisement
Back