Bracketology

As someone who has watched New Mexico all year, we definitely do not want that matchup, especially to open up the Tournament.
It's funny you mention New Mexico. I was just telling a friend of mine this weekend how nice it would've been to recruit Mashburn (who attended Gulliver Prep) who is killing for the Lobos and have him on this team. Can you imagine Jamal, Jr. with Wong, Pack, Miller and Omier? That starting 5 would've looked sick. Only if...

Advertisement
Lmao, ranked and a 7 seed.
I wouldn't worry too much. Last season we ended the month of January with a 16-5 record, very similar to this season's 17-5. We've got 8 games left, with 5 at home and 3 on the road. If we can win 5-6 of the remaining 8 regular season games and another win in the ACC tourney, that would put us at about 23-24 wins with 8-9 losses. That should be good enough for a top 5 seed come tournament play.

As someone who has watched New Mexico all year, we definitely do not want that matchup, especially to open up the Tournament.

I’ve actually watched them frequently as well and in person while visiting a friend. House is a problem. Coach Pitino is a good coach. They’re not that big though, and they don’t seem to have someone like an Omier. Wouldn’t be a great matchup but certainly don’t think they have an advantage. I just want to avoid the West Coast at all costs. Give me South or East. This team deserves to play in Orlando

Advertisement
Just how good is FAU this year? I haven't watched them play this year, but 21-2 in C-USA is pretty impressive.

Just how good is FAU this year? I haven't watched them play this year, but 21-2 in C-USA is pretty impressive.
They went on a 20 game win streak that was just snapped by UAB yesterday.

But they’re a really good shooting team & have a deep backcourt with a good Guard depth lead attack with Johnell Davis, Alijah Martin, Nich Boyd, Mike Forrest & Bryan Greenlee.

They average around the same amount points as we do, they play at fast pace & like to get out on the fastbreak & run. They’re biggest weakness though is they don’t rebound the ball all that well & they’re pretty average from the Free Throw line.

Advertisement
They have had a cake walk schedule. Only solid teams they played have been Florida (won by 2) and a loss to old Miss. (by 13). Have not played a ranked opponent

Lunardi has us at 6 out west in Denver. ... arghh!!
Hope they don't send to that rarified air... it would kill a high motor team like ours.

He must have updated it, because we're a 6 in Columbus playing the winner of Boise/Okie State

Advertisement
ESPN truly hates us. Read the bubble watch article that came out today and Miami isn't even considered a lock.

It’s stunning how overlooked we are. Go take a look at updated NET rankings if you want a really good laugh.

By most all of the metrics they use, ours dwarf multiple teams ahead of us (including Duke who we curb stomped last night). How can the canes with a 6-4 quad 1 record be behind 3-7 quad 1 Duke and Arkansas who’s 1-5 quad 1 games?!? Not to mention Canes having a better overall AND true road games record than both! And there’s plenty more teams ahead of us in NET that don’t stack up resume (and eye test) wise.

Make it make sense!!!

It’s stunning how overlooked we are. Go take a look at updated NET rankings if you want a really good laugh.

By most all of the metrics they use, ours dwarf multiple teams ahead of us (including Duke who we curb stomped last night). How can the canes with a 6-4 quad 1 record be behind 3-7 quad 1 Duke and Arkansas who’s 1-5 quad 1 games?!? Not to mention Canes having a better overall AND true road games record.

Make it make sense!!!
I'm sure if we beat Louisville Saturday by next week they'll put us in the locked category.

By most all of the metrics they use, ours dwarf multiple teams ahead of us (including Duke who we curb stomped last night). How can the canes with a 6-4 quad 1 record be behind 3-7 quad 1 Duke and Arkansas who’s 1-5 quad 1 games?!? Not to mention Canes having a better overall AND true road games record than both! And there’s plenty more teams ahead of us in NET that don’t stack up resume (and eye test) wise.

Make it make sense!!!

Seriously - this is not a joke - it’s all Kenpom’s fault.

What is weighing us down is our defensive efficiency metrics (why we have had some close games against mediocre teams)… especially from early in the season.

It is SO SO SO SO stupid, but the early season games that were closer against mediocre (or worse) teams are killing our efficiency metrics rating which is what drives KenPom and net.

For example our RPI is 17 and strength of record is 16.

OTOH, we’re 31 in kenpom combined offensive and defensive efficiency ratings… and ranked like 118 in defensive efficiency.

Advertisement
Moved up 9 spots in NET, now #30

I think this team is a 4-5 seed (plus I really want them to play in Orlando) but metrics say ACC is bad so 🤷🏽‍♂️

Win 2/3 against UNC, Wake and VT, and I think this team is no worse than a 5 seed.

Advertisement
Back