Bracketology

Couple other quick notes I looked up quick. Providence and Rutgers both ranked. UCF 4-2 in conference with their only losses to Tulane and Houston who are 1 and 2 in the conf. Cornell is tied for 1st in the Ivy, UNC Greensboro tied for 2nd in their conference and Lafayette quietly putting things together in the Patriot but they likely dont have enough to win that league. IUP (totally irrelevant to our schedule but an update) is now 15-0 and #1 in D2.

NC State receiving votes.

Advertisement
Couple other quick notes I looked up quick. Providence and Rutgers both ranked. UCF 4-2 in conference with their only losses to Tulane and Houston who are 1 and 2 in the conf. Cornell is tied for 1st in the Ivy, UNC Greensboro tied for 2nd in their conference and Lafayette quietly putting things together in the Patriot but they likely dont have enough to win that league. IUP (totally irrelevant to our schedule but an update) is now 15-0 and #1 in D2.

NC State receiving votes.
Providence & Rutgers are definitely going to be Tournament teams.

UCF will be on the bubble but they’re a good team & depending on how they finish out the season & what they do in the AAC tournament could get them a spot in final 68.

Maryland is the team that has completely fallen off a cliff, after beating a good Illinois team they lost 3 straight to Wisky, Tenn & got blown out by UCLA & ever since then they’ve been pretty bad winning just 1 out of their last 4 games.

But from every mock tourney seeding I’ve seen has us a 4 or 5 seed, which of course could go up depending how we finish the season & how far we go in the ACC tournament. But our resume will be just fine.

Louisville is going to hurt every team in the league in these metrics. I can’t ever recall an ACC team being this bad.

Louisville is going to hurt every team in the league in these metrics. I can’t ever recall an ACC team being this bad.
I see a couple W's coming the Ville's way before this season ends. They only lost to Syracuse by 1 point, lost to Wake by 8, and NCSU in Raleigh by a dozen. Somebody's gonna be looking past them and pay for it.

I see a couple W's coming the Ville's way before this season ends. They only lost to Syracuse by 1 point, lost to Wake by 8, and NCSU in Raleigh by a dozen. Somebody's gonna be looking past them and pay for it.
Hope so. They seem to be playing a little bit better. When we went up there last month, I couldn’t believe how inept they looked.

Advertisement

I mean, it's hard to go 0-20 lol. But I don't see them winning more than 1 or 2.

You just listed their BEST performances. Every team, no matter how bad, is going to have some performances that are better than others. When their absolute best performances are still losses (two of them by 8+), that means you really stink. I think they go 1-19. I'd be floored if they won 3.

On the bright side, Miami still hasn't peaked yet and played its best basketball. Hopefully that is still to come down the stretch towards acc tourney and ncaa's. We need to beat Duke and pitt on the road coming up these next two weeks.

I mean, it's hard to go 0-20 lol. But I don't see them winning more than 1 or 2.

You just listed their BEST performances. Every team, no matter how bad, is going to have some performances that are better than others. When their absolute best performances are still losses (two of them by 8+), that means you really stink. I think they go 1-19. I'd be floored if they won 3.
Who's your one win against?

One or two sounds right. Coming from among their two games left with GaTech, and one with ND and BC (both of those on the road).

On the bright side, Miami still hasn't peaked yet and played its best basketball. Hopefully that is still to come down the stretch towards acc tourney and ncaa's. We need to beat Duke and pitt on the road coming up these next two weeks.

IMO their best basketball will come when Nijel Pack finally starts to turn the corner. Maybe that finally happens after this last game against Cuse, he was probably the main catalyst for the comeback (along with Omier), but he's been pretty bad most of the season, and he was most certainly nowhere near bad at Kansas State.

Remember, this kid wasn't playing at Barry. Kansas State is in a great league, so it's not like he's jumped up in competition and can't handle it. But he hasn't been the same player yet that I saw last year. Maybe it's because he's playing on a more balanced team and isn't the clear alpha here, I'm not sure. But he's only averaging about 2.5 shots less this year than he was last year, and only 3 less minutes per game, but his numbers are way down.

He shot 46% from the field last year, including 44% on threes.

This year he's at 40% from the field, including 37% on threes. He's also not getting to the line nearly as often as he did at K-State, but again that could be by design because the offense is different here.

But to me, this kid is a top shelf college basketball player who can really shoot and score the ball, and I don't think Miami hits their ceiling without him playing the way he's capable of playing. Again, maybe the Cuse game will be the springboard. He did go 5-9 on threes and scored 15 points, but last year he had 3 games with 30+ points, and 20 games of 15+ points.

This year he has 0 games of 30+ points (high is 23 against St. Francis), and only 5 games so far with 15+ points.

If he can give us more consistent scoring, this team can make a run again. We know guards dominate in March. Wong has been spectacular. Omier is a monster. Miller is a really good player. Wooga, Joseph, and now Beverly is really starting to take off, those are some solid guards who can defend and handle the ball. That's a really good college rotation if Pack can play like he did last year.

Advertisement
IMO their best basketball will come when Nijel Pack finally starts to turn the corner. Maybe that finally happens after this last game against Cuse, he was probably the main catalyst for the comeback (along with Omier), but he's been pretty bad most of the season, and he was most certainly nowhere near bad at Kansas State.

Remember, this kid wasn't playing at Barry. Kansas State is in a great league, so it's not like he's jumped up in competition and can't handle it. But he hasn't been the same player yet that I saw last year. Maybe it's because he's playing on a more balanced team and isn't the clear alpha here, I'm not sure. But he's only averaging about 2.5 shots less this year than he was last year, and only 3 less minutes per game, but his numbers are way down.

This year he's at 40% from the field, including 37% on threes. He's also not getting to the line nearly as often as he did at K-State, but again that could be by design because the offense is different here.

But to me, this kid is a top shelf college basketball player who can really shoot and score the ball, and I don't think Miami hits their ceiling without him playing the way he's capable of playing. Again, maybe the Cuse game will be the springboard. He did go 5-9 on threes and scored 15 points, but last year he had 3 games with 30+ points, and 20 games of 15+ points.

This year he has 0 games of 30+ points (high is 23 against St. Francis), and only 5 games so far with 15+ points.

If he can give us more consistent scoring, this team can make a run again. We know guards dominate in March. Wong has been spectacular. Omier is a monster. Miller is a really good player. Wooga, Joseph, and now Beverly is really starting to take off, those are some solid guards who can defend and handle the ball. That's a really good college rotation if Pack can play like he did last year.
Agreed with everything you said. We haven't really seen Pack and Wong have great performances together on the same night. It seems like when Wong is on, Pack is off and vice versa. Hopefully it finally happens at Duke on Saturday.

That said, even with Pack's subpar (for him) numbers, this team's biggest weakness hasn't been on offense. It's been on defense where at times this year (especially of late), we can't seem to string together stops. We played very good defense the last 8 minutes or so in the Syracuse comeback. Let's hope that carries over.

Keep in mind what made Miami an attractive landing spot for Nigel (NIL $ aside) was we'd let him be a point guard to help his value with pro scouts. That IMO is the main reason for the drop in his ppg. At some point his assists and steals should improve as he looks to be a facilitator

Hopefully Miami can surpass last year's elite eight team. But it will take a little luck also. I am not sure our whole team is consistent enough to do it. Time will tell.

I am rooting hard that Coach L can light a fire under these guys. We need to play with more discipline unlike at nc state and more like we did against auburn last year in the tourney. We have potential at times.

Advertisement

My eyes tell me that Pack doesn’t finish well around the basket… so I’m not sure about the viability of him getting to the line more.

No doubt L has his work cut out for him to bring Pack along to where he wants to be and we need him to be.

Miami is 2-2 in conference road games while the league-wide winning percentage is 32.8 for away teams.Miami is 41st in NET Rating and is powered by their 5-2 record in Quad 1 games following their loss to NC State getting promoted from a Quad 2 game to a Quad 1. Only two teams in the country have more Quad 1 victories in Purdue (seven) and Kansas (six). Duke is 26th, 4-5 in Quad 1/2 games as this will be a Quad 1 game for Miami and a Quad 2 game for Duke as it presently stands.

Last edited:
My eyes tell me that Pack doesn’t finish well around the basket… so I’m not sure about the viability of him getting to the line more.

No doubt L has his work cut out for him to bring Pack along to where he wants to be and we need him to be.
Agree. He's not at all like Wong in terms of being able to penetrate to the hoop successfully on any sort of regular basis.

Is it just me but I swear Pack seems actually more accurate over this season from what would be an NBA 3 pt distance than from behind the college arc. Am sure that's just a coincidence but ...

Advertisement

We went 0-18 in the Big East.....so....

I agree but it’ll only happen once though then the league will be on enough alert. 1-19

Advertisement
Back