Bracketology

Advertisement
Rutgers would 100% be in as of today.

They don't have any wins away from home, beat a good not great IU team at home, and beat an NIT caliber Wake team at home. They have a lot of losses already.

I think they'll make it eventually but their resume so far isn't great.

Silly to call Furman NCSU’s best win. Butler and Dayton are solid wins.

NCSU, UCF, and Providence are all good teams who are in the conversation and can absolutely play their way into the tournament. Providence has no bad losses and two nice conference wins already.

Re: Cornell - nobody has a crystal ball but they’ll absolutely challenge for the 1 bid out of the Ivy.
Butler is mediocre at best. They are better than Georgetown and DePaul, but I'd take every other Big East team over them, and I'm not going to hang my hat on beating a 7-13 Big East team for a tourney bid at the end of the day. Dayton can at least get there, but they have shown nothing against any sort of top 100 team. Fortunately for them, there are very little of those type of teams in the A10 this year.

Dayton probably ends up the best win at the end of the day, and I don't think the Furman win looks special right now for NC State, but if they can get a 14-2 record and the bid out of a good mid-major league like the SoCon, there is value in that, and I could see that being the case at the end of the season. If Dayton doesn't right the ship in conference play, there is at least a path where the Furman win looks better, though I admit a lot would have to go right for Furman and things would need to continue to go wrong for Dayton to get to that point.

NC State/Providence/UCF absolutely have the opportunity at playing their way into the NCAA Tournament. And I'm sure at least one of them will, at the end of the day. My pushback is calling any of them likely tournament teams right now. Same with Cornell. There is a difference between challenging for the conference championship and being the favorite to win the league. Cornell and Princeton are the former, Yale is the latter.
Rutgers would 100% be in as of today.
I don't think its a lock (the Temple loss is not aging well), but yeah I think they are more likely to make it than not at the end of the day.

Butler is mediocre at best. They are better than Georgetown and DePaul, but I'd take every other Big East team over them, and I'm not going to hang my hat on beating a 7-13 Big East team for a tourney bid at the end of the day. Dayton can at least get there, but they have shown nothing against any sort of top 100 team. Fortunately for them, there are very little of those type of teams in the A10 this year.

Dayton probably ends up the best win at the end of the day, and I don't think the Furman win looks special right now for NC State, but if they can get a 14-2 record and the bid out of a good mid-major league like the SoCon, there is value in that, and I could see that being the case at the end of the season. If Dayton doesn't right the ship in conference play, there is at least a path where the Furman win looks better, though I admit a lot would have to go right for Furman and things would need to continue to go wrong for Dayton to get to that point.

NC State/Providence/UCF absolutely have the opportunity at playing their way into the NCAA Tournament. And I'm sure at least one of them will, at the end of the day. My pushback is calling any of them likely tournament teams right now. Same with Cornell. There is a difference between challenging for the conference championship and being the favorite to win the league. Cornell and Princeton are the former, Yale is the latter.

I don't think its a lock (the Temple loss is not aging well), but yeah I think they are more likely to make it than not at the end of the day.
Butler gave KSU their only loss of the season. They’re not a tournament team but they’re absolutely a decent team.

Regardless, Providence, UCF, Rutgers, NCSU, and Virginia are very solid wins at this point in the season and our only loss is a top-25 team in what was functionally an away game.

If we maintain our success, what do we have to do to be sent to Orlando for the first weekend of the tournament? Get seeded somewhere on the 1 to 4 line? Is that how it works?

Advertisement
If we maintain our success, what do we have to do to be sent to Orlando for the first weekend of the tournament? Get seeded somewhere on the 1 to 4 line? Is that how it works?
That would make sense especially, as of right now, we would be the highest seeded FL team. Be nice if that happened.

Still 7 in today's bracketology. How about some respect? How does a team ranked 14th have a 7 seed? Obviously way too early but jeez come on.

Don't you know anything? All Miami needs to do is win 20 more games to get a 4-seed.

This entire situation will completely work itself out with 20 more wins, just relax...

Per this, looks like we would need a 4 or 5 seed.

1672178966898.png

Advertisement
Vermont would have been a sure win and more experience for the young players. Too bad it was canceled, NC St and Duke are the toughest games of the next 8. Win six of the next eight and I'm impressed, win more than that and this team becomes a top five team.

Advertisement
The only one of these teams that I would give better than a 50/50 chance to make the NCAA Tournament is Rutgers.

- NC State has beaten nobody of quality (best win is against a super disappointing Dayton. I wouldn't be surprised if Furman is looked at as the best non-conference win to date by the end of the year). They are just a mid-pack ACC team, and I don't think anyone other than the top five (Duke, Miami, UNC, Virginia, Virginia Tech) should be considered likely tourney teams out of the ACC. Could they emerge as the 6th best ACC team? Sure, but I could make the argument that Clemson is the 6th best ACC team, or Wake is the 6th best ACC team. I'd be surprised if the ACC got more than 6 bids in the NCAA Tournament at the end of the day, and I don't think they are the clear 6th best team in the league. Possible tourney team? Yes. Likely tourney team? No.

- UCF: They are the 3rd best team in the AAC, but the AAC has been a disappointment beyond Houston, Memphis, and UCF. It's no guarantee this league gets more than two bids. They need to get 1-2 wins against those top two to have any chance and only have 2-3 losses at the most against the rest of the league. Like NC State, they are a possible tourney team but not one I think would be favored to make it.

- Providence: They accomplished nothing in the non-conference. Their best win in the non-conference is against a 4-8 Rhode Island team? They will have chances to build a resume in the Big East, and the Seton Hall/Marquette wins are a start. Ed Cooley has done that before. But I can't consider them a likely team to make the tournament based on what they have done so far.

- Cornell: In a one bid Ivy League, Yale is the clear favorite to win the league.
Providence knocked off Marquette lost week. All the teams I listed have legit chances to get into the tournament. Then add Virginia to the conversation.

I would say we are 6-1 against potential tournament teams at this point.

Vermont would have been a sure win and more experience for the young players. Too bad it was canceled, NC St and Duke are the toughest games of the next 8. Win six of the next eight and I'm impressed, win more than that and this team becomes a top five team.
That road game at NC State is going to be tough. ND too. Go 4-1 at worst going into the Duke game and I'll be happy. 5-0 would likely get us into the top 10.

Advertisement
I think Lunardi intermixed Miami and UNC.
UNC best win is OSU who isn't ranked anymore. Their losses are to Iowa State who got rolled by an Iowa who lost to Eastern Illinois, Indiana who has struggled the last few weeks, Bama who is legit, and Va Tech who has two bad losses. This reminds me of last year's UNC team who struggled during the year and got hot at the end.

Advertisement
Back