Bracketology

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
I guess since we're almost half of the way through the season we can start to look at this. Before the win over UVA, Lunardi had us as an 8 seed.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It’s still really early in the season & a lot will change between now & March.

My personal top 4 #1’s (right now) would be:
- UCONN
- Kansas
- Arizona
- Houston

I left out Purdue because I think they’re a very good team & will definitely get a #1 seed if they win the B1G, but I think Michigan, Indiana & Illinois will beat them before the season is over. Who knows what happens in the B1G tournament, but I don’t think Purdue will make it to the Final 4 this year, but I’ll probably be wrong lol

Texas & Baylor will give Kansas tough fights for the Big XII this year, but Kansas looks like they haven’t missed a beat from last year, they’re loaded with talent & Bill Self is arguably the best coach in CBB now.

The top Mountain West teams are all sneaky good & I think they’ll pull off some surprising upsets come tourney time.
New Mexico, UNLV, Utah ST, Boise ST & San Diego ST have good enough squads to compete with the P6 teams & make nice tournament runs, especially New Mexico & UNLV.

UCLA & Tennessee are the 2 biggest wildcards this season because they’re both good enough to be Final Four teams, but sometimes don’t always play up to their talent level, but when they’re on they can beat just about anybody.

My early guess for Miami’s seeding; I think if we make it to the ACC title game we’ll be a 3 or 4 seed, if we win, we’ll get a 2 seed. But depending on how this season continues to unfold, this may be a 25-27 win team in the regular season & the more good wins we get the more respect the committee will have to give us.

Advertisement
If you're a bracket junkie like me I highly suggest checking out Bracket Matrix. They compile literally every bracketology report on the internet known to man and update the page constantly. Overall it's a pretty meaningless exercise this early in the season, but it's fun to keep track of and see how much we jump win by win. Right now our highest is a 4 seed and lowest a 10 seed according to the posts

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

If you're a bracket junkie like me I highly suggest checking out Bracket Matrix. They compile literally every bracketology report on the internet known to man and update the page constantly. Overall it's a pretty meaningless exercise this early in the season, but it's fun to keep track of and see how much we jump win by win. Right now our highest is a 4 seed and lowest a 10 seed according to the posts

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
10 seed? Miami is 6-1 against likely tournament teams and just beat #6. I know it's early still but a 12-1 team who has multiple good wins and no bad losses as a 10 seed is ridiculous.

one game at a time but boy wouldnt it be great (if my math is right) to be around 18-3/17-4 heading into that Duke game.
I agree we have to get through at least half the ACC games before we can make any predictions. We are in need of a larger frontcourt and that’s going to haunt us at some point.

Advertisement
10 seed? Miami is 6-1 against likely tournament teams and just beat #6. I know it's early still but a 12-1 team who has multiple good wins and no bad losses as a 10 seed is ridiculous.

The composite has us as a 6 seed. Half of the ratings are just models working off tiny samples. It'll be more meaningful, with fewer outliers, later on.

Advertisement
Rutgers, Nc State, UCF, Providence, Cornell don’t count?
The only one of these teams that I would give better than a 50/50 chance to make the NCAA Tournament is Rutgers.

- NC State has beaten nobody of quality (best win is against a super disappointing Dayton. I wouldn't be surprised if Furman is looked at as the best non-conference win to date by the end of the year). They are just a mid-pack ACC team, and I don't think anyone other than the top five (Duke, Miami, UNC, Virginia, Virginia Tech) should be considered likely tourney teams out of the ACC. Could they emerge as the 6th best ACC team? Sure, but I could make the argument that Clemson is the 6th best ACC team, or Wake is the 6th best ACC team. I'd be surprised if the ACC got more than 6 bids in the NCAA Tournament at the end of the day, and I don't think they are the clear 6th best team in the league. Possible tourney team? Yes. Likely tourney team? No.

- UCF: They are the 3rd best team in the AAC, but the AAC has been a disappointment beyond Houston, Memphis, and UCF. It's no guarantee this league gets more than two bids. They need to get 1-2 wins against those top two to have any chance and only have 2-3 losses at the most against the rest of the league. Like NC State, they are a possible tourney team but not one I think would be favored to make it.

- Providence: They accomplished nothing in the non-conference. Their best win in the non-conference is against a 4-8 Rhode Island team? They will have chances to build a resume in the Big East, and the Seton Hall/Marquette wins are a start. Ed Cooley has done that before. But I can't consider them a likely team to make the tournament based on what they have done so far.

- Cornell: In a one bid Ivy League, Yale is the clear favorite to win the league.

The only one of these teams that I would give better than a 50/50 chance to make the NCAA Tournament is Rutgers.

- NC State has beaten nobody of quality (best win is against a super disappointing Dayton. I wouldn't be surprised if Furman is looked at as the best non-conference win to date by the end of the year). They are just a mid-pack ACC team, and I don't think anyone other than the top five (Duke, Miami, UNC, Virginia, Virginia Tech) should be considered likely tourney teams out of the ACC. Could they emerge as the 6th best ACC team? Sure, but I could make the argument that Clemson is the 6th best ACC team, or Wake is the 6th best ACC team. I'd be surprised if the ACC got more than 6 bids in the NCAA Tournament at the end of the day, and I don't think they are the clear 6th best team in the league. Possible tourney team? Yes. Likely tourney team? No.

- UCF: They are the 3rd best team in the AAC, but the AAC has been a disappointment beyond Houston, Memphis, and UCF. It's no guarantee this league gets more than two bids. They need to get 1-2 wins against those top two to have any chance and only have 2-3 losses at the most against the rest of the league. Like NC State, they are a possible tourney team but not one I think would be favored to make it.

- Providence: They accomplished nothing in the non-conference. Their best win in the non-conference is against a 4-8 Rhode Island team? They will have chances to build a resume in the Big East, and the Seton Hall/Marquette wins are a start. Ed Cooley has done that before. But I can't consider them a likely team to make the tournament based on what they have done so far.

- Cornell: In a one bid Ivy League, Yale is the clear favorite to win the league.

Silly to call Furman NCSU’s best win. Butler and Dayton are solid wins.

NCSU, UCF, and Providence are all good teams who are in the conversation and can absolutely play their way into the tournament. Providence has no bad losses and two nice conference wins already.

Re: Cornell - nobody has a crystal ball but they’ll absolutely challenge for the 1 bid out of the Ivy.

Rutgers would 100% be in as of today.

Advertisement
Back