Bracketology Watch

Advertisement
Too close for comfort. No room for error left after Saturday's debacle. Win our last 2 games and we are in, regardless of the ACCT. But slip up in either of these last 2 (especially at BC - that would be a terrible loss), and we will need to depend on the ACCT and some luck to stay in.

Too close for comfort. No room for error left after Saturday's debacle. Win our last 2 games and we are in, regardless of the ACCT. But slip up in either of these last 2 (especially at BC - that would be a terrible loss), and we will need to depend on the ACCT and some luck to stay in.
Agreed, must beat BC tomorrow and lock up a double bye in the ACCT.

Syracuse played UNC very tough AT Chapel Hill last nite. Hopefully, that loss took a lot out of them in this disappointing season. The Carrier Dome is a tough place to play, though, what with the odd sight lines for shooting.

I believe Jerry Palm had Miami splitting their last two and still getting in. 1-1 likely locks up the double bye in the ACC tourney and you'd probably want at least a win there to cement a bid.

Advertisement
Here's how I see it:

Finish 2-0, and we are in no matter what happens in the ACCT.
Finish 1-1, and we may have to win a game in the ACCT to be safe, especially if the loss is to BC.
Finish 0-2 and we need to go on in a run in the ACCT to get back in.

The standings, as they are right now, would put our first game in the ACCT against Wake, most likely. Assuming we finish the last 2 in a split, with the loss being to Syracuse, a loss to Wake in the ACC quarters would probably not knock us out, but would put us in first 4 territory. That is, of course, assuming teams don’t steal bids by winning their conference tournaments. A team like say UVA, who has almost zero chance of getting in without winning the ACCT.

Syracuse played UNC very tough AT Chapel Hill last nite. Hopefully, that loss took a lot out of them in this disappointing season. The Carrier Dome is a tough place to play, though, what with the odd sight lines for shooting.
I'm more afraid of the early start times on the road then actually playing away. The game at the Carrier Dome is scheduled for a 1pm tip-off. Hopefully, Larranaga will have the boys up for this game. Can't afford to come out flat.

Best part to all of this is that Miami still controls their own destiny. Win out and we're in. We couldn't ask for anything more than that.

GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Jerry Palm has us in the 6/11 game with Houston. Houston is one of the best defensive teams I've seen. We're a very good offensive team. Would be interesting. Hopefully we're higher than an 11.

Our NET is staying at 60, even after a double digit road win. VT is at 33. Wake is at 36. I swear to God........

Jerry Palm has us in the 6/11 game with Houston. Houston is one of the best defensive teams I've seen. We're a very good offensive team. Would be interesting. Hopefully we're higher than an 11.

Our NET is staying at 60, even after a double digit road win. VT is at 33. Wake is at 36. I swear to God........
I'm still perplexed as to why the models still have VT and Wake 25-30 spots higher than us.

Houston would be a terrible matchup for us. They're big and extremely physical. They remind me of an old school Big East team. Exactly the kind of team we do NOT want to face. We have played our best basketball against finesse teams.

I agree with Bleacher Report here. Regardless of if we lose to Cuse and the first ACC tourney game, I think we sneak in thanks to Quad 1 record (but probably in a round 1 play in game)

Miami Hurricanes​

5 OF 7

1. hi-res-c811341ebef8fa7e636029957801d601_crop_exact.jpg

Wilfredo Lee/Associated Press
    Miami has been messing with fire all season, and Jim Larranaga's squad is starting to get burned.
    In ACC play alone, the Hurricanes have been in 10 games decided by five points or less. Over the last two weeks, both Virginia and Virginia Tech have clipped the 'Canes—who are seeking the program's first NCAA trip since 2018—to nudge them dangerously close to the dreaded bubble.
    Miami is guaranteed no worse than the No. 4 seed, so its opening clash will be against Wake Forest, Virginia or Virginia Tech. While the Hurricanes are 3-3 opposite that trio, every contest has been a hard-fought win or a loss anyway.
    They can sneak into March Madness anyway thanks to a strong Quadrant 1 record, but an immediate exit in the ACC tourney would make for a nerve-wracking Selection Sunday.

Advertisement
I do not get it! I consider myself as a somewhat broad and open minded indivdual. However, for the first time this afternoon I looked at some of these so called bracketolgist and find there ranking very complexing. Example; one had us ranked 60th, even though our record is better than 15 schools ranked ahead of us, and another 8 had the same record. Additionally another 14 schools who have good records play in a weaker (not power 5 or conferences such as big east), schedule than us. ACC down year or not, the basketball teams year in and year out are much stronger than the majority of teams around the country and except for a very few teams in weaker conferences. But some how we are on the edge of being on the bubble. Hello, we are 13 and 6 in a
big time conference and 21 and 9 overall, and we are a bubble team. To make matters even stranger we are ranked 32 slots behind V. Tech, (that's32),
31 behind Wake, as well as substantially behind NC and domers. All teams have close games , so that is a joke of a reason.
I just do not get it! I guess these so called experts just compile numbers in a fashion that gives them their desired results.

End of the day it comes down to your total body of work. NET, KP etc.. are tools the committee will use as PART of the decision. NET has more input into the 4 QUADS, our record in Q!/2 and stellar road record is what is keeping us firmly in the bracket. Now let's win a few more and help our seeding

Basically we need 1 more win to lock up a NCAAT spot, barring mass chaos in conference tourneys.

So either @ Syracuse or that ACC Quarterfinal.

Advertisement
I do not get it! I consider myself as a somewhat broad and open minded indivdual. However, for the first time this afternoon I looked at some of these so called bracketolgist and find there ranking very complexing. Example; one had us ranked 60th, even though our record is better than 15 schools ranked ahead of us, and another 8 had the same record. Additionally another 14 schools who have good records play in a weaker (not power 5 or conferences such as big east), schedule than us. ACC down year or not, the basketball teams year in and year out are much stronger than the majority of teams around the country and except for a very few teams in weaker conferences. But some how we are on the edge of being on the bubble. Hello, we are 13 and 6 in a
big time conference and 21 and 9 overall, and we are a bubble team. To make matters even stranger we are ranked 32 slots behind V. Tech, (that's32),
31 behind Wake, as well as substantially behind NC and domers. All teams have close games , so that is a joke of a reason.
I just do not get it! I guess these so called experts just compile numbers in a fashion that gives them their desired results.

But those guys know what they're doing and they are usually pretty close on this stuff. And there isn't some grand conspiracy among all of the rankings and ratings and predictions to keep Miami basketball down. We are who we are.

The latest major brackets are out.

Lunardi moved us up to a 9, facing 8 seed Marquette and a possible second round matchup with 1 seed Baylor.

Palm still has us as an 11, facing 6 seed Houston (would be a horrible matchup for us), and a possible second round matchup with 3 seed Purdue.

I think the discrepancy is due to Lunardi being higher on the ACC than Palm. Lunardi has Duke a 2, Wake a 9, Miami a 9, ND a 10, and UNC a 10.
While Palm has Duke a 2, ND a 10, Miami an 11, Wake a 12 in a play-in game, and UNC as the first team out.

The latest major brackets are out.

Lunardi moved us up to a 9, facing 8 seed Marquette and a possible second round matchup with 1 seed Baylor.

Palm still has us as an 11, facing 6 seed Houston (would be a horrible matchup for us), and a possible second round matchup with 3 seed Purdue.

I think the discrepancy is due to Lunardi being higher on the ACC than Palm. Lunardi has Duke a 2, Wake a 9, Miami a 9, ND a 10, and UNC a 10.
While Palm has Duke a 2, ND a 10, Miami an 11, Wake a 12 in a play-in game, and UNC as the first team out.
Anything but the dreaded 8 vs 9 matchup, group of death type situation. Always a death sentence and almost ensures a first weekend exit. Would take 11 over 8 or 9 imo

I'm still perplexed as to why the models still have VT and Wake 25-30 spots higher than us.

Houston would be a terrible matchup for us. They're big and extremely physical. They remind me of an old school Big East team. Exactly the kind of team we do NOT want to face. We have played our best basketball against finesse teams.
Could not agree more! I'd give us a 10% chance of winning that particular matchup. Matchups are super important in the Tourney, for everyone, not just us.

Advertisement
Back