Bracketology (updated on the reg)

If we had won one of the FSU, Wake, ND, UVA games we would be in, but we didn't. Hopefully, we still make it. As bad as VA Tech is, it won't be an easy game playing them there.

No ACC road game is a gimme. 10 years ago a .500 league record in the ACC got you in the dance no questions asked. But the NCAA so hung up getting more mid-majors in the tourney that IMHO a lot of deserving teams from the larger conferences get left home when they should be in.

Advertisement
I think everyone would agree that a win (on it's own) at VT does nothing for our NCAAT chances. I suppose it would symbolize something. The win itself would be our 10th in the conference, 20th on the year and cement us at #6 overall.

In addition, a win over our likely first match-up in the ACCT (BC v. WF) would also do little to boost our chances in the NCAAT.

Now if the #6 ACC team, with 10 ACC wins (and a win at Duke, wins at Cuse and Pitt and wins over potential at-large teams Illinois and NCST) can't make the tourney without a good performance in the ACCT, I don't get it. The ACC on it's own can finish with 5 teams potentially in the top 15/20 and 2 #1 seeds.

Comparing Miami to NCST and Illinois

Miami
RPI: 65
BPI: 51
SOS: 61
Record against top 50 RPI: 2-6
Record against top 100 RPI: 7-7
Wins against Illinois and NCST
Game Left @ VT

NCST
RPI: 46
BPI: 40
SOS: 6
Record against top 50 RPI: 4-7
Record against top 100 RPI: 9-10
Game Left Syracuse

Illinois
RPI: 58
BPI: 52
SOS: 64
Record against top 50 RPI: 3-6
Record against top 100 RPI: 5-10
Game Left @ Purdue
Tied for 7th in their conference

Does beating other at large teams mean anything?

Hopefully Temple, Arkansas (just so the conference looks worse), Stanford and Davidson go down tonight.

A win against VT also means we'd have better overall and conference records, and the head to head win against Illinois and NCST. Selection committee doesn't want answer that question.

Advertisement
A win against VT does do something. 10 ACC wins and 20 regular season wins DOES mean something. Now, it means nothing if go 0-1 in the ACCT, but it puts us a step closer to the dance. It also helps our seed in the ACCT.

What's really holding us back now is our RPI. If we were 19-11, 9-8 with an RPI of 45 instead of 65, with our resume (wins at Duke, SU and Pitt) I think we'd be solidly in now.

lego.jpg

jory.jpg

How is Texas 3 games BELOW .500 in their conference and still ahead of Miami per all of the experts??????

Advertisement
RPI needs to be reworked.

Thank you! It's clearly out of whack. I'm pretty sure though that the talking heads have thus wrong and we are a shoe in if we simply win the next two games. I can't see us benig left out under with our record.

Advertisement
VT win is a absolute must.

Gets us into position to at least have a chance, to win 2 games in the ACC tourney, the bare minimum we need.

Told y'all those OOC losses to awful teams, and those GT, WF, FSU inexscusable losses were all disasters. Should be at least 12-5 in the ACC now, and a lock.

VT win is a absolute must.

Gets us into position to at least have a chance, to win 2 games in the ACC tourney, the bare minimum we need.

Told y'all those OOC losses to awful teams, and those GT, WF, FSU inexscusable losses were all disasters. Should be at least 12-5 in the ACC now, and a lock.

Should be 12-5? What team are you watching?

The team that blew out Duke, outplayed Notre Dame and UVA and choked , should have been able to beat those awful teams.

Advertisement
This team doesn't deserve to be in the tourney with our awful losses. It's amazing how we have a resume that should be a shoe in as an at large team is beyond me right now. NC State, Texas, Illinois, and half the SEC teams don't deserve to be in more than us.

Of course VCU getting hammered by Bubble Davison. Just the A-10 beating up each other. But dont worry im sure VCU's 6-7 seed is safe despite losing 6 of last 9. and 6th place in the A-10. Still living off a 2ot win in dec over Niowa as there staple win lol. We get crucified for losing to E kentucky, WF Gtech but they have lost to Richmond twice, St Bonaventure, Lasalle. And dont have many good wins. There's numerous teams safely in with resumes like these. I cant explain this years Bracketology.

Our 2 OOC bad losses are to E kentucky and Wisc GB. Both are #2 in the OVC and Horizon only behind ranked Murray st and Valpo. But OOC wins vs Illinios and Florida (who was ranked #8 at the time)

Advertisement
Back