Bowl Season is a Joke

Advertisement
Thankfully I wasn't able to catch the game, watched the highlights tho, and it looks like the same-old song of the last two years.

I watched OU-Arizona highlights and first-time HC Jedd Fisch has Ari freakin Zona looking like a playoff contender in his third year. Venables is also a first-time HC and won 10 games at OU after winning 6 in Year 1. Both offenses looked fun af.
sigh GIF

I think most would have been pleased with not being physically dominated by a 6-6 Rutgers team. We looked like we didnt belong and people are using it's a bowl game as the reason. Beyond pathetic.
I totally get what you’re saying. I’m saying that a huge chunk of the starters yesterday really DIDNT belong. In what world would a team with Lou Cristobal getting serious PT be a serious team?

Advertisement
I understand the point, but I’ll counter with a couple of my own.

Like @JHallCanes said in another thread, a lot of us aren’t necessarily mad about losing the bowl game. It’s more about how we approached it and called the game. The same issues that plagued Mario during the 2022 and 2023 season reared its ugly head again - undisciplined football, conservative play-calling on offense, poor clock management, woefully unprepared for a run-heavy team that only attempted 15 passes when we were missing just 1 starter in the front 7…that stuff drives me wild. If it’s a bowl game and we don’t care, why not try some new things out? Why not play more younger guys if Mario didn’t care instead of Lou Cristobal or Gore or Lichtenstein?

The other thing I’d say is it certainly matters to a lot of other teams. Watching Kansas St/NC State, Arizona/OU, USC, Boston College etc, they all absolutely cared. They played hard for their coach and battled. Even a USC that had a ton of opt outs took Louisville to the shed.

If we had won the game, people on here would be singing a different tune.
Well said

I mean, winning matters especially when trying to “build culture” like we keep hearing. Absolutely this was a massive game for the team if they win. You saw how Rutgers celebrated the win (or maybe had shut it off by then hopefully)

There’s people that will always fall back on the “stop lowering expectations” line and that’s fine, but it’s really saying absolutely nothing.

If we went out there and lost a game with a depleted roster that’s one thing, but what it really showed was the coaches have learned absolutely nothing from another mediocre season. A month to prepare for…that?

So really all it told me was they’re perfectly fine with how the season played out, and to them we are on track which is horrifying

Thankfully I wasn't able to catch the game, watched the highlights tho, and it looks like the same-old song of the last two years.

I watched OU-Arizona highlights and first-time HC Jedd Fisch has Ari freakin Zona looking like a playoff contender in his third year. Venables is also a first-time HC and won 10 games at OU after winning 6 in Year 1. Both offenses looked fun af.
sigh GIF
It’s funny that Venables is also known as a defensive guru, loves being physical and aggressive.

So isn’t he going to run an offense that protects his defense? Nope. He knows what it takes to win these days so that’s what he does on offense

Let me start off by saying that it's possible that next year's CFB playoff expansion has a positive impact on the post-season product.

Honest question, does anyone really give a **** about bowl games anymore?

Maybe I'm just a casual fan nowadays, or perhaps it's just because we've stunk for 20 years and I've become numb to our inevitable bowl losses... but I absolutely did not care about the Pinstripe Bowl yesterday. I don't care about bowl games enough to critique coaching decisions, personnel decisions, offensive play calling, refs, etc... it all feels trivial now. When you subtract the players who will be selected in the top 3-4 rounds of next years NFL draft as well as transfer portal casualties, the games lose some degree of meaning. Even some of the high-profile bowls have begun to feel more like spring games than conference championship games. It has become common to see third-string QBs facing off against each other! Guys on the field are auditioning for PT and NIL, willing to go anywhere that will throw them a bone.

Again, maybe I'm just numb. Maybe this is copium. Maybe I'm wrong.

But, if the players don't care about a bowl game, why the fvck should I?
No, you nailed it. The kids in the game try their hardest, otherwise they’d be at greater risk of getting injured or embarrassed. For the game itself though, if the best players aren’t on the field then it’s just a glorified scrimmage which because historically the bowl game was a rare chance to see two out of conference competitive teams go out at it for at least bragging rights and now it’s well yeah a scrimmage.

Advertisement
Missing the forest for the trees again LOL
Nah. I dont think he is.

You cant convince me that Saban and Kirby would have their teams ill prepared and careless for ANY bowl game.

Miami is in no position to treat any bowl game like it doesnt matter. Especially when we recruit all over the country and want to present a product that looks somewhat competent.

We legit didn't get a generational talent in Jeremiah Smith because of it and yall are trying to make this out to be no big deal. Gtfoh

Give the winning players a portion of the revenue. Great model to try out revenue sharing and gives kids incentive to want to play and to play like it matters.

Do not open the portal until after Bowl games.
The first idea is great.

However, I don't think it matters when you open the portal. If a kid knows he's going to the portal, he's not going to risk injury and play.

Advertisement
Allowing players to enter the Portal before bowl games has made those games absolutely meaningless and completely uninteresting for me. If I wasn't busy I would have watched the Pinstripe game but it was not a priority knowing how many players, including the starting QB, are gone!

I believe we will see bowl games going away once sponsors understand the lack of interest because the teams playing are not really the same teams from the regular season. Of course I wanted the Canes to win but it really is not much more than a glorified scrimmage...

Nah. I dont think he is.

You cant convince me that Saban and Kirby would have their teams ill prepared and careless for ANY bowl game.

Miami is in no position to treat any bowl game like it doesnt matter. Especially when we recruit all over the country and want to present a product that looks somewhat competent.

We legit didn't get a generational talent in Jeremiah Smith because of it and yall are trying to make this out to be no big deal. Gtfoh
Who was the coach of Alabama again in the last year of the BCS in 2013? The team that just missed out on the title game after losing to Auburn in the last week of the season. They went to the Sugar Bowl, had 5 turnovers, and lost by 2 TDs to Oklahoma who was a 17.5 point underdog.

5 turnovers seem pretty careless to me.

Let me start off by saying that it's possible that next year's CFB playoff expansion has a positive impact on the post-season product.

Honest question, does anyone really give a **** about bowl games anymore?

Maybe I'm just a casual fan nowadays, or perhaps it's just because we've stunk for 20 years and I've become numb to our inevitable bowl losses... but I absolutely did not care about the Pinstripe Bowl yesterday. I don't care about bowl games enough to critique coaching decisions, personnel decisions, offensive play calling, refs, etc... it all feels trivial now. When you subtract the players who will be selected in the top 3-4 rounds of next years NFL draft as well as transfer portal casualties, the games lose some degree of meaning. Even some of the high-profile bowls have begun to feel more like spring games than conference championship games. It has become common to see third-string QBs facing off against each other! Guys on the field are auditioning for PT and NIL, willing to go anywhere that will throw them a bone.

Again, maybe I'm just numb. Maybe this is copium. Maybe I'm wrong.

But, if the players don't care about a bowl game, why the fvck should I?

I absolutely care about bowl season, & believe it or not, the vast majority of kids who will never play in the NFL, the coaches who’s bonuses are tied to wins, and schools who have apparel contracts that have escalators for bowl wins, total wins absolutely care.

Advertisement
Who was the coach of Alabama again in the last year of the BCS in 2013? The team that just missed out on the title game after losing to Auburn in the last week of the season. They went to the Sugar Bowl, had 5 turnovers, and lost by 2 TDs to Oklahoma who was a 17.5 point underdog.

I hope to god you didn't think you proved something here. Do you think Saban said aw **** it it's a meaningless bowl game that year?

Fanbase Is Cooked!!!

Bowls don't matter therefore get off Marios .480 winning percentage ***? That's really what's being said here. Good to see so few are falling for your Mario slurping ***.

10 years ago? Just wow. Let me know when youre done moving the goal posts.

Friends Moving GIF

Advertisement
Back