Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

Advertisement
Good advice here. I'm still a whiskey novice and my budget isn't the highest so it's always good to hear what's worth the extra scratch. I have a friend who works for one of the big liquor distributors and she was able to track me down a bottle of 10 year Michter's a few years back for a very reasonable $150. It was quite nice but I think I'd rather have three $50 dollar bottles.

My usual go-to for ****tails is Bulleit. Good enough to drink on ice but I don't feel like I'm wasting it if I use it in a whiskey sour.
For something to sip on, I really enjoy Angel's Envy but the price has jumped up quite a bit like most everything else.
I've been enjoying Clyde Mays Rye recently too.
My personal favorite rum is Plantation Stiggins Pineapple. It's not pineapple flavored, they just add pineapple rinds to the barrel when they age it. Quite delicious.

Good advice here. I'm still a whiskey novice and my budget isn't the highest so it's always good to hear what's worth the extra scratch. I have a friend who works for one of the big liquor distributors and she was able to track me down a bottle of 10 year Michter's a few years back for a very reasonable $150. It was quite nice but I think I'd rather have three $50 dollar bottles.

My usual go-to for ****tails is Bulleit. Good enough to drink on ice but I don't feel like I'm wasting it if I use it in a whiskey sour.
For something to sip on, I really enjoy Angel's Envy but the price has jumped up quite a bit like most everything else.
My personal favorite rum is Plantation Stiggins Pineapple. It's not pineapple flavored, they just add pineapple rinds to the barrel when they age it. Quite delicious.
I need to find Plantations products. Haven’t seen them.

Advertisement

Was it the Michters 10 bourbon or rye? That Michters 10 rye is special

I have a friend who works for one of the big liquor distributors and she was able to track me down a bottle of 10 year Michter's a few years back for a very reasonable $150. It was quite nice but I think I'd rather have three $50 dollar bottles.

I'm with you on that one. Most of the time I just rather drink more 🙂

M10 rye isn't easy to come by. I had to trade beer about $300 worth of beer for my bottle.

If you want something in the `$20 range then I strongly recommended Turkey 101. But that secret stays between us girls.

Just received a couple of bottles of Standard Proof Pecan Rye out of Nashville, TN. I'm into flavored/infused bourbons/whiskeys right now so don't judge. :)

Polishing off a bottle of Vanilla Whiskey from Mayberry Spirits out of Mount Airy, NC. Stronk! Just like the plethora of craft beer distilleries around here (Western NC), there are many small-batch craft distilleries popping up. They're turning out some adventurous stuff.

Advertisement
Did the bourbon trail a few years ago, strongly recommend if you get a chance. You'll probably get sick of hearing about how Bourbon is made (pretty much the same everywhere because how to make Bourbon is specified by law), but the tastings are usually worth it - and mostly free.

Go to's:
Buffalo Trace
Weller Special Reserve (thats my favorite bang for buck)
1792 Small Batch (underrated)

Decent but overpriced:
Woodford
Makers
**** Creek (more kick than the wheated bourbon that mostly make up my list)

One of the best and then one of the worst bottles I've ever tried:
Town Branch from Lexington. I don't actually recommend their bourbon, but they have a Bourbon barrel stout that is pretty good.

Full disclosure: I tend to like smoother/wheated rather than rye bourbons

Gonna be stealing some more off the beaten path recommendations from this thread.

Does rye burn more - like drink hotter or does it just add spice?

it adds spice and eliminates some of the sweetness (on the opposite end, wheat adds sweetness like in maker's and weller). the heat mainly comes from proof and less time in the barrel. jack daniels single barrel rye fantastic (and i absolutely hate most jd products). super smooth for a high proof, brown sugar and the brown-foreman banana notes.

What @db305 said. The result is people who don't drink much whiskey may find the rye more difficult to drink.

Basically if its whiskey it's traditionally some combination of rye, wheat, corn, and/or barley. Corn (think bourbon) similarly results in added sweetness. Barley (think single malt scotch whisky) packs a lot of bite and tends to result in a nutty or smokier (especially with peat) or toast-like flavor.

try out old forester rye if it's down there. way different mash ratios than other budget ryes and really cheap for what you get. wild turkey 101 rye is also a great shout at about $30/liter.

in my opinion, the best easy to find sippers for around $50 are old forester 1920 (if you want a cherry bomb at 115 proof) and pikesville rye.

I need to find Plantations products. Haven’t seen them.
I usually get it for Total Wine. I know there’s a couple different Plantation brands, each from different countries. The Pineapple one I like is from Trinidad.
Was it the Michters 10 bourbon or rye? That Michters 10 rye is special
It was just the bourbon. It was very good, at least for my unrefined palate but not mind blowing.

Advertisement
I’m not a bourbon guy yet, but somebody turned me on to angels envy. It’s finished in port wine barrels. May be a good one to try if you haven’t yet
I'm pretty new to bourbon too, and I have watched hours of video on youtube about easy drinking beginner bourbons, and I've tried them all from Eagle Rare, Bufallo Trace, Early Times, Angel's Envy, Michters American, Basil Hayden, Old Forester 86 & 100, Wild Turkey 101, etc. and they're all really good, not none of them are as easy to drink as Old Bardstown Kentucky Straight Whisky 90 proof, super smooth and no burn.
This is the one I would recommend to anyone just starting out then go from there. Plus it's only $23.
Let me know what you think.

Advertisement
drunk guys GIF
LOL. That reminds me of the last bachelor party I attended in Atlanta. Strip bar, gave the stripper a picture of my wife, broke glass, got sat down until everyone was ready to leave. Cot**** Crown Royal.

I usually get it for Total Wine. I know there’s a couple different Plantation brands, each from different countries. The Pineapple one I like is from Trinidad.

It was just the bourbon. It was very good, at least for my unrefined palate but not mind blowing.

the pineapple rum is real good stuff. also amazing to sub into a traditional daquiri for 1/2 part of the white rum.

Don't sleep on a good wine. Usually cheaper and will **** you up much faster

Yeah. I'm totally cool with liquor, wine or beer. As for bourbon, I don't love spending a ton of money on it, nor do I like chasing down limited bottles that have been driven up in value due to market demand. Bulleit, Redemption, and some bottles from small distilleries I've visited mostly work for my purposes. I have a slightly more expensive bottle of double oaked Woodford Reserve when the mood hits, and as for Scotch, a bottle of Lagavulin for when that mood hits.

Advertisement
Back