Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

Advertisement
Col Taylor Small Batch
Single Barrell but much harder to find.

Give Plantation Rum a look. They have a 5 year, a bourbon barrel aged, a Fiji, that is pretty good and some others a little higher end.
Is it a company like Zocapa or Barcela, each in their own country, or are they sourcing runs from different countries and putting their label on it - kind of like Layer Cake does with wine?

The Whiskey craze makes it tough to recommend bottles sometimes since what you find on a shelf varies drastically by state or even city. Let alone if the state allows secondary pricing. I live in DC so I can get just about anything but you will pay for it dearly.

I thought we had a real nice list in that other chat of generally easy to find whiskey that are solid bottles. Always happy to help folks out with questions (I have about 150 or so right now)

Is it a company like Zocapa or Barcela, each in their own country, or are they sourcing runs from different countries and putting their label on it - kind of like Layer Cake does with wine?
French Distillery who bought a Barbados Rum distiller I believe and and has some smaller places throughout the tropics. They do all of thier own work or in collaboration, nothing is just labeled.

Advertisement
The Whiskey craze makes it tough to recommend bottles sometimes since what you find on a shelf varies drastically by state or even city. Let alone if the state allows secondary pricing. I live in DC so I can get just about anything but you will pay for it dearly.

I thought we had a real nice list in that other chat of generally easy to find whiskey that are solid bottles. Always happy to help folks out with questions (I have about 150 or so right now)
The Japanese pay heavily for much of the product and Sazerac which is Buffalo Trace and has labels like Blantons, Rock Hill Farms, Stagg, Wellers, Pappy, Col. Taylor, etc. has created an allocation type market in the states where they are distributing less at retail making the demand higher and aftermarket prices pretty much insane, since they are getting higher whole sale from the Japanese.

For example, Blantons 5 years ago was $57-$65 retail Rock Hill $49. Now Blantons is still $65 but may find it once every 2-3 months if that, based on where you live.

Rock Hill is next to impossible and $400 aftermarket. Absolute insanity.

One more I will add, they have 1792 which is readily available but 1792 has a sweet wheat which is awesome and nearly impossible to find. So **** frustrating, all of this.

Last edited:

I was in DC last week and was shocked at some of the bottles sitting on shelves that are gone elsewhere.

Advertisement
I was in DC last week and was shocked at some of the bottles sitting on shelves that are gone elsewhere.
DC, and Maryland are pretty much the only distribution market that hasn't been affected by this. Los Angeles being the other.

New York City believe it or not has been affected more by this nonsense.

Do you shop at Prav Saraff's stores in DC? He usually has good selection of store picks, but can be pricey.

Do you shop at Prav Saraff's stores in DC? He usually has good selection of store picks, but can be pricey.
There’s a spirit shop on 5th and L NW that had Buffalo Trace, Angels Envy, I think Eagle Rare and others just sitting on the shelf last week. Not a massive selection but some good drinking bottles.

Advertisement
drunk guys GIF

The Japanese pay heavily for much of the product and Sazerac which is Buffalo Trace and has labels like Blantons, Rock Hill Farms, Stagg, Wellers, Pappy, Col. Taylor, etc. has created an allocation type market in the states where they are distributing less at retail making the demand higher and aftermarket prices pretty much insane, since they are getting higher whole sale from the Japanese.

For example, Blantons 5 years ago was $57-$65 retail Rock Hill $49. Now Blantons is still $65 but may find it once every 2-3 months if that, based on where you live.

Rock Hill is next to impossible and $400 aftermarket. Absolute insanity.

One more I will add, they have 1792 which is readily available but 1792 has a sweet wheat which is awesome and nearly impossible to find. So **** frustrating, all of this.
I love 1792 12 year.

I have bought from the DuPont shop. Their barrel Picks are great. The other bottles are way over priced. I am from Baltimore so will
Hunt up there. The other thing now is with Covid- restaurants and bars can sell bottles, so DC has even more allocated whiskey available for purchase.

Advertisement
There’s a spirit shop on 5th and L NW that had Buffalo Trace, Angels Envy, I think Eagle Rare and others just sitting on the shelf last week. Not a massive selection but some good drinking bottles.
I don't know DC at all, just have shopped from his store online before and know he is DC based.
You should come to Texas. Bottles like that are on every shelf, ER a little less so but not that uncommon.

I have bought from the DuPont shop. Their barrel Picks are great. The other bottles are way over priced. I am from Baltimore so will
Hunt up there. The other thing now is with Covid- restaurants and bars can sell bottles, so DC has even more allocated whiskey available for purchase.
Nice. I've heard about ppl scoring great bottles from restaurants unloading their inventory. I'm mostly on secondary pages and auction sites now. I still go out hunting when I can, but that usually ends in disappointment.

Advertisement
Back