Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

Col Taylor Small Batch
Single Barrell but much harder to find.

Give Plantation Rum a look. They have a 5 year, a bourbon barrel aged, a Fiji, that is pretty good and some others a little higher end.

downside of eh taylor single barrel is that it's so hit or miss. there's a lot of variance in that rickhouse and some come out horrible. i'll buy it if i see it, but usually use it for trading (same with blanton's). for the price i'd rather get 2 bottles of the small batch since it's consistently delicious.

Advertisement
The next time our team makes the trip up to Louisville you fellas should make the trip. Come a day or so early and hit up the bourbon trail. I live about 20 minutes from Buffalo Trace and have taken the tour a good twenty times. Well worth the trip if you're gonna be in the area. On a side note of rare and hard to find Bourbons, if anyone has a chance to grab a bottle of E. H. Taylor Warehouse C Tornado Survivor they should make the investment. They go for around $4,500 on the low end.

if they want to drink to drink, it's buffalo trace and sazerac all day. if they want to drink to enjoy, they pick the bottle with the reservation that the only thing other than whiskey in that glass is a small piece of ice if they want. if they want shots then they can provide the booze.
Same.

Bourbon is best enjoyed with friends. That said, that’s why my cart has wheels and I have another small cabinet ...

If you like Whistlepig's 10 year product, try Masterson's 10 year Straight Rye and Jefferson's 10 year Rye (if you can find it). WhistlePig has a lot of people who strongly advocate for it over the other two, and while I like it and generally have a bottle in my house, I think some of its hype is unwarranted. IMO WhistlePig pulled the wool over people's eyes by getting them to (falsely) believe they are some sort of craft whiskey product out of Vermont via slick marketing, when in reality its a Canadian product made at Alberta Distillers (a huge producer in Calgary similar to Indiana's MGP Distillery). Masterson's, with its old west theme and name, has made a similarly veiled marketing pitch, but at least the bottle has always stated it is a Canadian product. Jefferson's, too, has masqueraded as a craft distillery, though at least they do actually produce a bunch of American bourbons.

Anyway, Jefferson's 10 year straight rye, Masterson's 10 year straight rye, and Whistlepig's 10 year straight rye are all produced at the same distillery: Alberta Distillers. Major difference is Masterson's is bottled at 90 proof vs. Jefferson's at 94 proof vs. 100 proof for WhistlePig, so @RVACane (or anyone else who prefers a little less ABV), those may be more your speed. There are definitely some subtle differences in the flavor (Whistlepig tastes sweeter to me, for instance), which likely have to do with the difference in ABV and barrel options (they all use new American oak, but Whistlepig is finished in used bourbon barrels... not sure about the other two). Whistlepig claims it also ages (for some time, who knows how long??) its whiskey on its Vermont farm, so that could play a factor in the flavor profile.

Once upon a time, the best bang for your buck of the three was probably the Jefferson's 10 year straight rye, but the price steadily creeped up and it has been a minute since I saw a bottle at any of my choice liquor stores. I'm not even sure they still produce it or if its a seasonal thing now, to be honest.

start 80-90 proof with an ice cube and slowly wean yourself off of the ice. then jump to bottled-in-bond, then you can experiment with high proofs and barrel proofs.
I concur.

I started to drink high proof neat when the waitress randomly forgot whether I wanted Taylor Barrel Proof neat or with rocks, so she brought it neat and rocks on the side.

Had to try it neat. And it was worth it. Add some ice from time to time.

Advertisement
It’s shameful that @Dr.L.ThugU , a man of exquisite bourbon palate, is pestered by a bourbon newbie like me for recommendations, and each time he checks in to see how I liked the last bottle, he finds himself lowering the proof level on each subsequent recommendation because I’m a liquor puss. I’m almost back to wine at this point.
Incorrect. Not a man. A man lover perhaps, but not a man.

start 80-90 proof with an ice cube and slowly wean yourself off of the ice. then jump to bottled-in-bond, then you can experiment with high proofs and barrel proofs.
This is basically what I did. Started about 5 years ago with old fashioneds, then went to rocks, eventually making my way to barrel proofs neat.

My girl just made me quit drinking for the foreseeable future. Be careful with those barrel proofs :ROFLMAO:

As to recs: I am a Buffalo Trace guy. Regular BT & Eagle Rare are great for under $30. Another I would recommend is Evan Williams Single Barrel. Under $30 and great value. Don't let the regular bottom shelf Evan Williams scare you off.

If you like Whistlepig's 10 year product, try Masterson's 10 year Straight Rye and Jefferson's 10 year Rye (if you can find it). WhistlePig has a lot of people who strongly advocate for it over the other two, and while I like it and generally have a bottle in my house, I think some of its hype is unwarranted. IMO WhistlePig pulled the wool over people's eyes by getting them to (falsely) believe they are some sort of craft whiskey product out of Vermont via slick marketing, when in reality its a Canadian product made at Alberta Distillers (a huge producer in Calgary similar to Indiana's MGP Distillery). Masterson's, with its old west theme and name, has made a similarly veiled marketing pitch, but at least the bottle has always stated it is a Canadian product. Jefferson's, too, has masqueraded as a craft distillery, though at least they do actually produce a bunch of American bourbons.

Anyway, Jefferson's 10 year straight rye, Masterson's 10 year straight rye, and Whistlepig's 10 year straight rye are all produced at the same distillery: Alberta Distillers. Major difference is Masterson's is bottled at 90 proof vs. Jefferson's at 94 proof vs. 100 proof for WhistlePig, so @RVACane (or anyone else who prefers a little less ABV), those may be more your speed. There are definitely some subtle differences in the flavor (Whistlepig tastes sweeter to me, for instance), which likely have to do with the difference in ABV and barrel options (they all use new American oak, but Whistlepig is finished in used bourbon barrels... not sure about the other two). Whistlepig claims it also ages (for some time, who knows how long??) its whiskey on its Vermont farm, so that could play a factor in the flavor profile.

Once upon a time, the best bang for your buck of the three was probably the Jefferson's 10 year straight rye, but the price steadily creeped up and it has been a minute since I saw a bottle at any of my choice liquor stores. I'm not even sure they still produce it or if its a seasonal thing now, to be honest.
The old Jefferson’s 17 and 18 (which were basically old stocks of stitzel-weller) put those guys on the map. Nothing they have put out since has come close.

Advertisement
it's an actual drain pour. they had samples at a local place once and i had to spit it back into the cup. one of the worst alcohol-related things i've ever tasted.
I poured that $55 bottle down the drain. I couldn’t drink it not even as an emergency stopgap bottle.

It’s shameful that @Dr.L.ThugU , a man of exquisite bourbon palate, is pestered by a bourbon newbie like me for recommendations, and each time he checks in to see how I liked the last bottle, he finds himself lowering the proof level on each subsequent recommendation because I’m a liquor puss. I’m almost back to wine at this point.
I’m not a bourbon guy yet, but somebody turned me on to angels envy. It’s finished in port wine barrels. May be a good one to try if you haven’t yet

Does rye burn more - like drink hotter or does it just add spice?

A 90 and a 93... found these in homestead about 5 years ago
1610038650755.jpeg

Advertisement
Does rye burn more - like drink hotter or does it just add spice?

it adds spice and eliminates some of the sweetness (on the opposite end, wheat adds sweetness like in maker's and weller). the heat mainly comes from proof and less time in the barrel. jack daniels single barrel rye fantastic (and i absolutely hate most jd products). super smooth for a high proof, brown sugar and the brown-foreman banana notes.

Last edited:
downside of eh taylor single barrel is that it's so hit or miss. there's a lot of variance in that rickhouse and some come out horrible. i'll buy it if i see it, but usually use it for trading (same with blanton's). for the price i'd rather get 2 bottles of the small batch since it's consistently delicious.
Agree wholeheartedly. Small batch is always on point, and the single does vary. Just so hard to come across anymore, it is always worth a shot, because the good batches are some of the best.

Tried posting a picture of my bourbon bar downstairs. I think I have around 70 bottles at the moment. If you’re new to bourbon I would be happy to point you in the direction of some solid bottles that won’t break the bank.

Advertisement
I don't know DC at all, just have shopped from his store online before and know he is DC based.
You should come to Texas. Bottles like that are on every shelf, ER a little less so but not that uncommon.
I would fly southwest when I went to Texas. Would load up on Weller and check it.
In Nov I flew to Ohio. Hunted for 2 days and drove back the haul. Brought back 44 750 ML Weller and 7 half gallons of Weller

Advertisement
Back