Boston College at Miami (3-5-21) at 6 pm on the ACC Network.

I looked up Larranaga’s salary. According to a USA Today 2020 article it is $2.167 million. That ranks 54th among D1 coaches. We haven’t made it out of the 1st round of the NCAA’s since 2016, yet we pay this guy that kind of money. 🤦‍♂️🙅‍♂️

Last edited:
Advertisement
Does anyone know how much money Larranaga makes a year? I’ll bet it will make us all very angry. 😡

I looked it up. According to a USA Today 2020 article it is $2.167 million. That ranks 54th among D1 coaches. We haven’t made it out of the 1st round of the NCAA’s since 2016, yet we pay this guy that kind of money. 🤦‍♂️🙅‍♂️
I think that figure is low. That might be a base number that does not take into account any possible bonuses (which aren't exclusively tied to "on the court" success). With private schools like UM, total salary figures are never easily accessible.

If he can recapture the magic, and you see recruiting get back to where it was before the investigation, I give him an extension. That said, I would also make sure that said extension has a very Institution favorable buyout clause, in case something happens. I would also have my short list of candidates ready at all times(Which any AD should have anyway), in case it was more of a last hurrah. It's a tough situation, because L has proven himself to be a good soldier and leader, but you've also hit that rough patch.

College Basketball coaches are older on average than their football counterparts, so there's that, but I would also want to start planning on a succession strategy.
I’m really really tired of using the investigation as an excuse for our failures. As highlighted on the recruiting threads on this board, there are MULTIPLE local and in-state players who Miami should be all over. Instead, UF, FSU and others are courting them while we sit here twiddling our thumbs making excuses. You have legit superstars down the street from campus in the Thompson twins who Miami isn’t recruiting. It’s utterly baffling.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back