Booker T v. Central thoughts

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Central routed Booker T, 42-14. It was closer than the score, but Booker T made a ton of uncharacteristic mistakes that they can't make against a bigger, deeper Central program. Here are some of my thoughts on the top prospects (note- I got there mid-way through the second quarter):

Kadeem Telfort- Searels better get this guy. Physically, he looks like an NFL player in high school. Similar to Orlando Franklin and Ereck Flowers in that regard, although Telfort is more of a pass-blocker and less of a road grader than they were. He still needs some coaching, but based on his current pace of development he projects as a freshman starter.

Navaughn Donaldson- Best player in Dade, IMO. Donaldson reminds me of that big sloppy guy on the basketball court who crosses you over and hits Js in your face. Excellent athlete who gets to the second level with ease. Central used Donaldson at LT, RT and RG and he created canyons. Trent Williams 2.0 once he gets in a college weight program.

Waynmon Steed- I'm guessing Steed was banged up @waynejr31 but every series he played he made an impact. I counted two sacks and a TFL in three series. Steed doesn't pass the look test but he's fast and extremely smart. He always seems to play under control. He spied on Daniel Richardson and was very patient until it was time to close and strike. I wish he played more but I loved what I saw.

James Cook (2018)- I saw his brother on the same field and James has the same speed. The difference between the brothers is strength- Dalvin bounced off defenders and broke arm tackles. James is still slight. Central didn't give him a ton of carries at RB but used him as the QB taking direct snaps and even at H-back. Cook quieted a lot of doubters when he erased the angles on his second TD.

Sharrod Johnson (WR, Booker T, Syracuse Commit)- This is one of my favorite under-the-radar players in the 2017 class. Johnson had good size in person and showed toughness over the middle. He is also athletic enough to take direct snaps and return kicks. Expect him to make plays on Saturdays.

Owen Carney- I was a little underwhelmed by Carney. He didn't look as big as I expected and his athleticism didn't blow me away. Aside from a nice inside move that led to a hurry, Telfort ragdolled Carney on every snap I saw.

Seth McGill (QB/WR #17 )- McGill is an underclassmen (not sure which year) but he looked to have a lot of promise. Very fast and throws a nice ball. He's a little guy, but I could see him producing as Central's QB.

Daniel Richardson- Very bad game for a good player. Richardson played much better in Booker T's other high-profile games. He made a lot of mental mistakes, including his failure to get out of bounds before the half and secure a final play.

Chris Metayer (S/LB 2018)- Hialeah transfer with an intriguing skillset. He wears Jamel Cook's #35 and looks like him at safety (they are both in the 6'3 range), but Metayer is more physical and less of a WR. I could see him bulking up and playing more of a LB role. He had a big tackle on 4th down to close the game and almost had a pick 6.

Richard and Rishard Dames
- I just wanted to give some recognition to these twin CB prospects headed to FIU. They embody Booker T-- small, tough playmakers who can do a little bit of everything. These guys can play like linebackers in the box or cover like corners.

HIGHLIGHTS- Week 5: Central vs. Booker T. « CBS Miami

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Chris Metayer (S/LB 2018)- Hialeah transfer with an intriguing skillset. He wears James Cook's #35 and looks like him at safety (they are both in the 6'3 range), but Metayer is more physical and less of a WR. I could see him bulking up and playing more of a LB role. He had a big tackle on 4th down to close the game and almost had a pick 6.

Week 5: Central vs. Booker T. « CBS Miami

I was this kid's teacher a few years back, and trust me, he will blow up. He started off as a WR, but made the move to DB. Smart kid. Late bloomer in just about everything (except his size), but once the light clicks on for him, it clicks. UF is already on him (!).

PS: He also has a little brother in 8th grade who's already bigger than he is. I threatened him and told him I'd make sure he fails unless his bro goes to the U. The next day he brought me the lanyard UF had sent him. Message received.

Pete or anybody else in the know, what are our chances of prying Telfort away from the ******* gators? We need these kind of savages in our classes now that we have a legit staff.

Dmoney/Geo....Considering our OLine situation, is it safe to say that Telfort could be the #1 "need to flip him" prospect on our board? (talking realistic; Jeudy and Leatherwood are not realistic to me at this point)

Dmoney/Geo....Considering our OLine situation, is it safe to say that Telfort could be the #1 "need to flip him" prospect on our board? (talking realistic; Jeudy and Leatherwood are not realistic to me at this point)

For sure

Advertisement
Good to hear Steed producing in big games. Felder will fix the eye test. Tons of upside with Steed in our S&C program.

Go Canes!

Chris Metayer (S/LB 2018)- Hialeah transfer with an intriguing skillset. He wears James Cook's #35 and looks like him at safety (they are both in the 6'3 range), but Metayer is more physical and less of a WR. I could see him bulking up and playing more of a LB role. He had a big tackle on 4th down to close the game and almost had a pick 6.

Week 5: Central vs. Booker T. « CBS Miami

I was this kid's teacher a few years back, and trust me, he will blow up. He started off as a WR, but made the move to DB. Smart kid. Late bloomer in just about everything (except his size), but once the light clicks on for him, it clicks. UF is already on him (!).

PS: He also has a little brother in 8th grade who's already bigger than he is. I threatened him and told him I'd make sure he fails unless his bro goes to the U. The next day he brought me the lanyard UF had sent him. Message received.

Give him a D to make sure you need the commitment.

Advertisement

Telfort has been my number 1 flip....

South Florida all of a sudden is producing better ol targets...THE TOP GUYS should never leave..we should keep those guys.
Telfort has gotten into some better shape, transferred to BTW and is playing better talent and holding it down. A class of him and Donaldson is prime grade a, as Donaldson is a certified beast as well, getting two bookends from the county to go with Hillary and the kid from Iowa (Dykstra) is nice to getting the talent level up on the OL.

Even better considering the LSU transfer would be considered in this class as a rs soph, and the fact that Bar Milo looks to be an interior Lineman.

Good analysis. I forgot about the LSU transfer and Milo's development. This OL with the top guys you mention could match some of the talented line of our past when it's all said and done.

Games won on the interior! No doubt someone has to get Telfort to understand his importance to the hometown. As for Milo, he doesn't appear to be that guy we thought. Bothers me when top talent leaves SOFl when the hometown and local fans want them here. What about Big Boy (??) from American Heritage? How's he playing and is he still an option?

Central routed Booker T, 42-14. It was closer than the score, but Booker T made a ton of uncharacteristic mistakes that they can't make against a bigger, deeper Central program. Here are some of my thoughts on the top prospects (note- I got there mid-way through the second quarter):

Kadeem Telfort- Searels better get this guy. Physically, he looks like an NFL player in high school. Similar to Orlando Franklin and Ereck Flowers in that regard, although Telfort is more of a pass-blocker and less of a road grader than they were. He still needs some coaching, but based on his current pace of development he projects as a freshman starter.

Navaughn Donaldson- Best player in Dade, IMO. Donaldson reminds me of that big sloppy guy on the basketball court who crosses you over and hits Js in your face. Excellent athlete who gets to the second level with ease. Central used Donaldson at LT, RT and RG and he created canyons. Trent Williams 2.0 once he gets in a college weight program.

Waynmon Steed- I'm guessing Steed was banged up @waynejr31 but every series he played he made an impact. I counted two sacks and a TFL in three series. Steed doesn't pass the look test but he's fast and extremely smart. He always seems to play under control. He spied on Daniel Richardson and was very patient until it was time to close and strike. I wish he played more but I loved what I saw.

James Cook (2018)- I saw his brother on the same field and James has the same speed. The difference between the brothers is strength- Dalvin bounced off defenders and broke arm tackles. James is still slight. Central didn't give him a ton of carries at RB but used him as the QB taking direct snaps and even at H-back. Cook quieted a lot of doubters when he erased the angles on his second TD.

Sharrod Johnson (WR, Booker T, Syracuse Commit)- This is one of my favorite under-the-radar players in the 2017 class. Johnson had good size in person and showed toughness over the middle. He is also athletic enough to take direct snaps and return kicks. Expect him to make plays on Saturdays.

Owen Carney- I was a little underwhelmed by Carney. He didn't look as big as I expected and his athleticism didn't blow me away. Aside from a nice inside move that led to a hurry, Telfort ragdolled Carney on every snap I saw.

Seth McGill (QB/WR #17 )- McGill is an underclassmen (not sure which year) but he looked to have a lot of promise. Very fast and throws a nice ball. He's a little guy, but I could see him producing as Central's QB.

Daniel Richardson- Very bad game for a good player. Richardson played much better in Booker T's other high-profile games. He made a lot of mental mistakes, including his failure to get out of bounds before the half and secure a final play.

Chris Metayer (S/LB 2018)- Hialeah transfer with an intriguing skillset. He wears Jamel Cook's #35 and looks like him at safety (they are both in the 6'3 range), but Metayer is more physical and less of a WR. I could see him bulking up and playing more of a LB role. He had a big tackle on 4th down to close the game and almost had a pick 6.

- I just wanted to give some recognition to these twin CB prospects headed to FIU. They embody Booker T-- small, tough playmakers who can do a little bit of everything. These guys can play like linebackers in the box or cover like corners.

Yes, he didn't practice all week due to a sore knee so they didn't play him but for about 5 plays. I didn't agree with it but, I guess when you have guys in there all week practicing, you don't just pull them for a guy that hasn't done anything all week. Plus the other guys were handling their business so it wasn't any pressure to put him out there. I really just want him to make through this season healthy so he can get in the weight room with Gus this spring.

Advertisement

Yes, he didn't practice all week due to a sore knee so they didn't play him but for about 5 plays. I didn't agree with it but, I guess when you have guys in there all week practicing, you don't just pull them for a guy that hasn't done anything all week. Plus the other guys were handling their business so it wasn't any pressure to put him out there. I really just want him to make through this season healthy so he can get in the weight room with Gus this spring.

I didn't realize that he was an early enrollee....very nice! What a huge advantage for the kids that can do it to get a head start on learning the playbook and getting their bodies ready for the fall.

Youth football in miami/broward county switched to no weight class strictly age so now these big boys who before had to wait to highschool play now are beginning much earlier. The lineman from down here will get better and better

Advertisement
Youth football in miami/broward county switched to no weight class strictly age so now these big boys who before had to wait to highschool play now are beginning much earlier. The lineman from down here will get better and better

Am I reading you correctly?

So, youth football in Florida didn't have an "unlimited" league for the bigger kids? They had to wait until high school before they could play on organized teams?

So, youth football in Florida didn't have an "unlimited" league for the bigger kids? They had to wait until high school before they could play on organized teams?

Im speaking for Miami and Broward county but yes up until about 4 years ago the their was only age groups and the age groups was the weight class. For example 70's was for 7 year olds, 80's were for 8 years old , 105 were for 10 year olds and so on. So kids who were born big didnt play youth or had to play above their age. Since they changed this rule and its only age and no weight class you see much more traditional looking lineman playing throughout optimist as oppose to waiting until highschool. This will be a big reason why lineman only get better from down here

Im speaking for Miami and Broward county but yes up until about 4 years ago the their was only age groups and the age groups was the weight class. For example 70's was for 7 year olds, 80's were for 8 years old , 105 were for 10 year olds and so on. So kids who were born big didnt play youth or had to play above their age. Since they changed this rule and its only age and no weight class you see much more traditional looking lineman playing throughout optimist as oppose to waiting until highschool. This will be a big reason why lineman only get better from down here

pretty much what he said.

Unlimited stated about 10 years ago and hence you see lil better lineman skills.

I couldnt play optomist ball at my correct age range because of my size...ran to death tryna make weight an never making it was a waste of time..especially sinjce i was bigger and faster than any other kids on the team...a few kids that went div 1 later on as well

Advertisement
Back