Bomani spitting that truth

J.
What Bomani is saying is at the core of what donna shalala mandated of her football coaches from Larry to Randy to Al. She wanted a lilly white program with lots of kids from outside of the 305. Her failures are the failures of UM football.

Bingo! Forget about the score for a second. Just look at the kids on Clemson's roster. They were faster, more athletic, and more physical than UM's kids. Aside from BK, Bush, and Elder, UM doesn't have any players that could start for Clemson.
Kids look bad when not coach properly. Like UF last year, night and day this year. We recruit the same players Clemson does. Period

This. Michigan is a good example too. Harbaugh has basically the same roster as last year's "terrible" team.

Advertisement
Hue Jackson coached Carson Palmer while USC's OC in the late 2000's. In 01-02' he was the Redskins RB coach where he had Stephen Davis performing like a beast. Then in 03 he was OC for Steve Spurrier (and actually allowed to call plays!!). Then he became WR's coach of the Bengals where he coached Ochocinco and Houshmandzadeh in 05 when they were absolutely killing it. All 3 of his years as WR coach, Ocho was a pro bowler. In 07, he was OC of the Falcons under Bobby Petrino. In 08-09 he was QB coach for the Ravens under Harbaugh where he was instrumental in drafting Flacco and developing him.

Then He went to the Raiders. Im a Raider fan and had Hue Jackson as our OC when we finally won 8 games for the first time in forever. With him we finished with the #6 offense in the NFL!! Then the next year when he was named HC and we went 8-8 again. He made possibly the stupidest trade for Carson Palmer and mortgaged our future for him. However, I always thought he was a great coach and he had a certain confidence about him. I remember being ****ed that Reggie McKenzie fired him.

Then after he is fired he has to work his way back up. He goes to Cinci as their Db coach or some defensive positional coach. Then he gets promoted to RB coach, where he coached Jeremy hill and Gio to be beasts last year. And now he is the Bengals OC, and has Andy Dalton playing at an elite level, when he clearly is just an average player at best.

To say Hue Jackson has had success everywhere he goes is an understatement. I personally believe he is the answer. The only question is will he stay for 5 years. Or will he leave as soon as he has a lot of success? Either way as of this moment, he will probably be in the conversation to be an NFL HC, so it wont be easy or cheap to get him, BUT definitely worth it.

Why is Hue Jackson even a name being brought up? has he stated interest in the job?. Otherwise I would believe he’s more suited for USC or an NFL job. Sorry if i’m missing something

Why is Hue Jackson even a name being brought up? has he stated interest in the job?. Otherwise I would believe he’s more suited for USC or an NFL job. Sorry if i’m missing something

His agent contacted UM last year after the firing rumors started. He wants to get back into college coaching

Advertisement
How much is UM expected to pay the new HC? According to some internet sites, the top assistant coaches in the NFL make in the range of $2 million, although I think guys like Norv Turner make much more than that. In any case, a top NFL assistant coach, DC or OC should be obtainable in the $2 million range. Will UM spend that much?

There are plenty of young coordinators who seem to be doing a decent job in the NFL and might accept the salary UM is willing to pay.

NFL DCs born after 1965: Matt Patricia (Pats), Kacy Rogers (Jets), Joe Barry (Skins), George Edwards (Vikes), Eric Mangini (49ers), James Bettcher (Cards), Sean McDermott (Panthers).
NFL OCs born after 1965: Josh McDaniels (Pats), Hue Jackson (Bengals, born 1965), Ben McAdoo (Giants), Kyle Shanahan (Falcons), Mike Shula (Panthers, born in 1965), Pete Carmichael (Saints), Harold Goodwin (Cards).

These guys are young enough to be hungry, should be able to relate to college players, and might view the Miami job as a stepping stone to a NFL HC job, as Butch did. Not everyone would be a good fit, but I think a guy with NFL credentials would have an advantage in recruiting. The players UM needs want to play in the NFL and a former DC or OC from the NFL can sell them on UM as a training ground for that goal. Howard Schnellenberger was OC with the Dolphins before taking the UM job. Butch was DC with the Cowboys. ****, maybe Dan Campbell would be a good fit after the Dolphins hire a new HC. The relationship between UM and NFL personnel was a factor in the team's glory years. NFL players trained in the off season in Miami with Canes. Renewing the link to the NFL would do more to revive recruiting and winning than new facilities. Really, who needs facilities when the bright lights of Miami Beach are short drive away?

Advertisement
Back