Bolden and K Smith

Everybody keeps saying how hard Carter hits but when you’re never in position to make a big hit then it doesn’t matter. His hitting ability is overrated af to me honestly he is not anywhere near one of the hardest hitters to have played safety for us in the past.

Bolden does dive tackle a lot but he never avoids contact... I’ve seen him lay the wood as well, he did against UAB knocked the ball carrier back sideways and he got up like it was nothing.

Just saying I disagree with the narrative that Bolden and Carter are equally flawed... Carter doesn’t have what Bolden lacks. Carter is honestly not a good safety at all imo. He isn’t nearly as bad as Ivey or McCloud at their positions but at the same time he isnt what I would consider a starting UM caliber player.

No one said they are equally flawed guy. Just saying carter when he hits you he hits you. But that’s the key word.. WHEN he hits you. Problem is he is never there to hit. Bolden on the other hand will dive at ankles as I said but he doesn’t pop like that. Everyone has moments where they make good hits, this is football after all.. but bolden makes lots of tackles they are just low leg and ankle tackles but he don’t miss often. Obviously carters flaws are worse. And you do not have to be a big hitter to be a good safety, it’s just more fun and better for the team if you can lay the lumber.

Advertisement
No one said they are equally flawed guy. Just saying carter when he hits you he hits you. But that’s the key word.. WHEN he hits you. Problem is he is never there to hit. Bolden on the other hand will dive at ankles as I said but he doesn’t pop like that. Everyone has moments where they make good hits, this is football after all.. but bolden makes lots of tackles they are just low leg and ankle tackles but he don’t miss often. Obviously carters flaws are worse. And you do not have to be a big hitter to be a good safety, it’s just more fun and better for the team if you can lay the lumber.
I counted three big hits from bolden against uab. Probably more than he had last year in total. If he keeps up that physicality, I think he’s the best dB on the team and it’ll be clear come draft time.

I counted three big hits from bolden against uab. Probably more than he had last year in total. If he keeps up that physicality, I think he’s the best dB on the team and it’ll be clear come draft time.

They looked pretty routine to me but to each his own. The one where he jumped up hyped he and someone else hit dude so that’s why he fell straight back.

Advertisement
Did any body else see Christian Williams lined up at safety the other night in the 4th. Was this just because we were in cover 3 that play?

Carter and Nesta were tied with 5tackles Thursday which was 2nd on the team to Jennings 6. I don’t get the people here clowning on Carter

Advertisement
Yeah I didn't want to rain on the parade here, but right now he has strengths and weaknesses. His primary strength at this point in his career is in pass coverage. He covers a lot of ground and has real good instincts at this stage of his career. He also chases run plays well and made a couple plays on the backside.

The area where he was a liability at times last night was when the ball was run at him. I suspect that's what you're alluding to. He's not a big kid right now. He's listed at 215 but doesn't look it. He'll get bigger and stronger and will be able to overcome this, but right now he's best suited to passing downs.

I do share everyone's enthusiasm that he's going to be a really good player for us. Just needs a get a little bigger.

I think (from what everyone is saying) kid will be real good, but I just didn’t see it game 1. Honestly I didn’t expect either

SMith got a little too big to me, I have to rewatch the game, but he looks like a linebacker, I like Frierson their over anybody

Advertisement
I was at the game and had seats close to the field in the end zone. I was impressed by Bolden during warm ups (looked like a smaller Sean Taylor) and told my friends "can't wait to see him crush somebody in the game". Quite frankly I was disappointed in what I saw as I felt he ran around a lot and seemed to avoid hitting people when he could have made a statement to their receivers on several occasions. Maybe it was rust and he will now pick it up and play to his advertised potential. I wish him the best after our investment and for the sake of the program.
You can not be Sean Taylor in football anymore. That was an age of football that is never coming back.

Advertisement
And you have Harrell tae kam and James Williams (might switch positions) behind them
have to close on them..we have had nightmares on NSD. Until they sign anything can happen and it doesn't matter win or lose. Bag season comes late

Last edited:
Because this is a free year if McCloud and Carter come back we are *****. SCREWED. Because somehow carter will keep a crap ton of talent off the field cause he is a grandpa and manny likes that for some reason. McCloud same situation. They both suck so bad. We’re gonna potentially have a safety room next year with hall bolden harrel tae balom kam and jw. And carter is gonna rob minutes from straight studs man. And at linebacker we got brooks huff steed and tac who need to play.

Advertisement
Back