Bob Stoops

Mike Leach, Kevin Sumlin and Mark Mangino made Bob Stoops.

Defensive minded head coaches rise and fall with the success of their offensive coordinators.

Our next head coach must be an offensive guy a la Jimbo Fisher, Urban Meyer, Mark Helfrich, Jim Harbaugh, etc.

Advertisement
Some of you guys are so adamant about who or what kind of coach will or will not succeed here. THERE IS NO BLUEPRINT! It doesn't matter if you have HC experience, if you coached in the league, or if you were from the high school level...... If you can coach you will succeed at a school like Miami.

For every argument against a coordinator I can give examples of guys who have succeeded at college level. The same goes for coaches who failed miserably in the league and there are even a couple of examples of guys who came up from the high school ranks and succeeded in college without much of a learning curve.

For everyone who says this guy or that guy will not work please give the name of a (REALISTIC) candidate who will. Realistic meaning a coach not named Butch Davis, or one who will require at least 5mil salary. Take your emotion out of it and try being realistic.

I've been saying Rob Chudzinski for two months now. This is the guy I want.

Mike Leach, Kevin Sumlin and Mark Mangino made Bob Stoops.

Defensive minded head coaches rise and fall with the success of their offensive coordinators.

Our next head coach must be an offensive guy a la Jimbo Fisher, Urban Meyer, Mark Helfrich, Jim Harbaugh, etc.

So the argument for Trestman is that you could get him for cheap, and he failed in the NFL like Petrino. Sounds like a great plan.

How about all the guys who failed in the NFL and also in college? Just because you failed in the NFL doesn't mean you're going to be the next Petrino.

And the "we can get him cheap" horse **** needs to be retired. If we're looking to go cheap again for the fourth straight time, then just shut this **** down.

Kids don't want to come play for a quirky nerd. No thank you on Trestman. Stoops has been in a powerhouse program for something like fifteen years and can't win the big one. He would be a huge improvement but also very expensive. I don't think he has south Florida ties either, pass.

Advertisement
Trestman would be a poor choice for UM for two reasons.

1) Trestman is a terrible recruiter. Trestman is a smart and good guy, but he doesn't like recruiting, he has no salesmanship skills, he doesn't possess the inherent traits to sell the program to 18 year olds. Trestman didn't even recruit at NC State.

And with regards to the idea that Trestman would be fine as long as he surrounded himself with a number of strong recruiting assistants, we've already been down that road. Coker was a subpar HC recruiter who had one of the best recruiting coordinators in the nation in Curtis Johnson. After a few seasons, Miami could buy a WR recruit.
Erickson also had a great staff, but Miami's recruiting progressively worsened in the 1990s because Erickson, himself, was also not a great recruiter.

In order to have a successful program, your HC needs to be a good recruiter. Trestman is not.

2) Miami needs a hard *** HC to push the players to becoming the best player they can be. Someone the players not only respect, but fear. That's the recipe of success.

And again, Trestman's not that. Trestman is a nice, cordial guy. But Trestman is a milquetoast coach. We've already been down that road with Coker. We need a respected coach who's not afraid to get a player's face. Trestman is not that type of coach.

Trestman would be a disaster.......

Schiano is a ********** and never won a thing.....

Cristobal is too much of a bro for me....

Butch.....not sure he can catch lightning in a bottle again.....he is up there in age.....

The only guy that gets me excited is Chud. He is a better version of Jimbo Fisher.

Advertisement
Stoops King of The Hill status is gone in the Big 12. Struggles to beat Snyder and KSU, struggles to win his division with the addition of TCU and Baylor's and struggles against an underachieving Oklahoma State team. I give him kudos for playing a tough out of conference schedule every year, but the Oklahoma product is not better.

Fire Alf now, and in 5-7 days we'd get great names that would come outta da woodworks to get the top job. For the right coach, winning would not take long here.

Trestman would be a disaster.......

Schiano is a ****sucker and never won a thing.....

Cristobal is too much of a bro for me....

Butch.....not sure he can catch lightning in a bottle again.....he is up there in age.....

The only guy that gets me excited is Chud. He is a better version of Jimbo Fisher.

Chud has been my pick all year, but now Butch more and more looks like the ONLY choice. Three huge things: 1) Butch has been here and don that --gotten up out of even bigger mess. 2) Big bargain pricing to help offset BOT stupidity over Al's contract. 3) The biggest of them all is that Butch Davis is instant blood clotting for the arterial bleeding of the program. Given his history of players making NFL $$$$$ and fame, he immediately stands toe to toe with Saban, Jimbo, and Urban. Butch equals a good 50 million in facilities. He did it with sand pits not waterfalls. What frigging recruit does not want to be like the old Canes? Anyone Butch recruits immediately gets more attention from NFL scouts -- they remember HIS boys. We are not sure Chud wants to come back, we know Butch does.

Advertisement
Can we fire Folden first then worry about who we are going to hire???

Or FFF = BBB.

Should be coming available pretty soon.....do we make a play for him after AG is fired? (Patience Grasshopper, he will be)
Marc Trestman? Worked for Howard in the early 80's, successful in the wide open CFL, but not everyone is cut out for the NFL. (Saban, Spurrier, Petrino, Jim Harbaugh, even Chuckles.)
would Trestman be a good fit here?

**** no.

Marc-Trestman.jpgAre you kidding me?? Isn't he one of the guys that JJ was forced to keep on staff his first year? And was fired the next for undermining JJ. Elementary schools and children's hospitals wouldn't let him in the door.

Last edited:
Advertisement
No to Trestman.... He's Kosar's boy and all but would not be able to walk in a So. Fl home looking like where's waldo and Recruit.
Personality of a penny...

In Order -
Chud (only because he's younger than...)
Butch
Schiano (At least Defensively we'd be aggressive. Has to bring in a monster OC)
NFL Assistant/Coordinator maybe
Coley (Fall Back) - Mario (even at this point)

JC

I would take Stoops in a heart beat as long as he left his psychopath brother Mike behind. He would coach a better D then No D but players wouldn't like him. He's an ******* and not likeble.

Advertisement
Back