Bob Stoops

dstuart4

Freshman
Premium
Should be coming available pretty soon.....do we make a play for him after AG is fired? (Patience Grasshopper, he will be)
Marc Trestman? Worked for Howard in the early 80's, successful in the wide open CFL, but not everyone is cut out for the NFL. (Saban, Spurrier, Petrino, Jim Harbaugh, even Chuckles.)
would Trestman be a good fit here?

Advertisement
I'm confused. You're asking about Trestman but the thread is titled "Bob Stoops". Which do you want to know about?

Should be coming available pretty soon.....do we make a play for him after AG is fired? (Patience Grasshopper, he will be)
Marc Trestman? Worked for Howard in the early 80's, successful in the wide open CFL, but not everyone is cut out for the NFL. (Saban, Spurrier, Petrino, Jim Harbaugh, even Chuckles.)

Has Trestman ever coached in college other than his time at the U? Forget it. Answered it looked it up. He spent two years as OC at NCSU. I'd rather see somebody with more of a track record recruiting.

Advertisement
Trestman sucks

Completely disagree. He's a good offensive mind...whereever he ends up (likely college) I'd be willing to bet he shows a lot better than he did in the league.

People are quick to forget that there isn't much of a correlation between success in the league and success at the college level. Petrino sucked in the NFL, Saban sucked (you might be able to argue he was below average) and even Pete Carroll in his first go around got his *** handed to him.

The thing with Trestman is that you'd need an ace recruiter on the staff, which could easily be accomplished with one of the position coaches or coordinators.

If Butch or Schiano weren't an option I'd take a chance on Trestman before I went the Cristobal route.

I'm confused. You're asking about Trestman but the thread is titled "Bob Stoops". Which do you want to know about?

Both. Trestman is available, Probably not too expensive, not sure about a buy-out provision with the Bears, and Stoops? That's just a feeling that the Boomer Sooner Boosters are getting restless, his last MNC was 15 years ago and that *** woopin' by Dabo had to smart.

You'd save money on an "offensive coordinator" if you hired Trestman.

****...you could keep Coley on staff, let Trestman call plays....then promote Coley to "assistant head coach" and let him focus on nothing but recruiting. That structure should leave a decent amount of money in the budget for a good DC.

It's not the worst idea in the world. Many of you need to come to grips with the fact we're not going to get a splashy, big name who is hot right now. I think Trestman could be a Dennis Erickson type....who in my opinion in terms of pure gameday coaching ability was one of the better HC's we had here. His weaknesses obviously were in recruiting and on the defensive side, which are probably where Trestman's weaknesses would be as well.

Advertisement
Trestman sucks

Completely disagree. He's a good offensive mind...whereever he ends up (likely college) I'd be willing to bet he shows a lot better than he did in the league.

Paul Hackett and Dan Henning were also good offensive minds.
Collectively, they worked for Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, Marty Schottenhiemer, Joe Gibbs, Don Shula, Marv Levy, Bill Parcells to name
a few....and they both failed miserably as college head coaches.

Simply having a sound football mind with NFL coaching experience does not make one a sure-thing as college HC.

Petrino and Saban may have failed in the NFL, but they were already proven winners in college.
Just like Lou Holtz when he failed with the Jets.
No comparison between Trestman and those guys.

I would actually go with Cristobal over Trestman based on his experience and contacts in the
college game, and I'm not a Cristobal fan.

Trestman sucks

Paul Hackett and Dan Henning were also good offensive minds.
Collectively, they worked for Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, Marty Schottenhiemer, Joe Gibbs, Don Shula, Marv Levy, Bill Parcells to name
a few....and they both failed miserably as college head coaches.

Simply having a sound football mind with NFL coaching experience does not make one a sure-thing as college HC.

Petrino and Saban may have failed in the NFL, but they were already proven winners in college.
Just like Lou Holtz when he failed with the Jets.
No comparison between Trestman and those guys.

I would actually go with Cristobal over Trestman based on his experience and contacts in the
college game, and I'm not a Cristobal fan.

Check out the Trestman thread where I go into a little more detail. You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree with your take on Trestman....ESPECIALLY in relation to someone like Cristobal.

Agree to disagree.

Jim Harbaugh in a 3-year span went to two NFC conference title games and a Super Bowl. Suffice to say, you can't put him in the coaches category of those that can only succeed at the collegiate level.

Advertisement

The **** you smoking saying harbaugh failed in the nfl? Two nfc title games and 1 super bowl app in 3 years

Last edited:

The **** you smoking saying harbaugh failed in the nfl? Two nfc title games and 1 super bowl app in 3 years

For the life of me I don't understand when anyone criticizes Harbaugh. It's pretty obvious the only reason the Niners are firing him is cause of an ego ****ing match he had with the front office.

Huge mistake on their part. He's the kind of coach that will do well wherever he goes...college or pro.

I'd cut off a ******* appendage to have Harbaugh coach either the Dolphins or the Canes.

Advertisement

Didn't say he failed in the league just that he may not be a good fit. Yes, he was very successful in a short period of time but wore out his welcome pretty fast. His ego and people like Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones? Jesus! Not to mention superstar players. No, his true calling may be at the college level. He took Stanford further than Bill Walsh, Dennis Green, and Ty Willingham (though that's not saying much) ever did. Could be a better "fit" for his abrasive style.

If Tressman could succeed with Forte, Marshall and Alshon .i don't want him. He had Cutler slinging the ball all over the place and he had a top 7 RB. No thank you

Not everyone is cut out for the NFL, then you list Jim Harbaugh? Are you joking? in 4 years he got to 3 NFC championship games and 1 Superbowl. Every team that needed a coach was praying to get him. Michigan just happens to be his alma mater and offering him just as much/more money than other NFL teams were offering him.
Plus you don't even know if he was the problem in SF, It could have been the GM for all you know. If he was allowed to be in charge of all personnel decisions like Belicheck, he probably would have coached the 49ers for over a decade. He's great in college, but he's also great in NFL.

Plus, Golden isn't getting fired.

Last edited:
697467.source.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

Advertisement
Back