Bleak's Cane grades from the Russell Atheltic Bowl

blackvern

All-ACC
Banned
Not gonna grade everybody just the ones who stood out good or bad...You get a better feel of how players perform when your at the game..

Chad Thomas- Best game he has played as a Cane!! he looked quicker and more explosive.. He didnt make many plays like he did when he chased dwn the QB on that scarmble and made him fumble... Looked liked he was shot out of a cannon..Maybe he was injured this year? Although he missed the quarterback a few times in the backfield he was "Flying Around" My suggest for him is get a little more leaner and quicker. He better beast next year!!!

Courtel Jenkins- Dam he looked like the best DT out there. He better not transfer. Dude was creating havoc all night. Came back after a scary knee injury.

Joe Jackson- WIll have double digit sacks next year Dam that boy is explosive.. He has that bend

Darion Owens- man was he terrible.. He looked like a fish out of water out there. Skyler was embarassing him in the open field.. Another OP said he is not back from knee injury..I hope that was the case because he was a lianility on defense. West Virginia was going at him purposely. Even the WV fans saw it. HE needs to be moved to rush end in my opinion

Shaq Quarterman- Is always where he's suppose to be. He is a very good linebacker. Needs a little more speed to be elite. If i was him I'd work on all speed and explosion drills. Very Bright Future

Zach Mcloud- Took a big step up today this was also his best game as a cane. He was flying everywhere and reading plays. It was amazing to watch. Looked like he wasnt thinking out there and was playing super fast.

Mike Pinckney-IMO he is our best linebacker. Future is so bright for us mane. Limitied time due to the ejection but was making plays while he was out there like always

Maleek Young- Secondary didnt really get tested down the field. THey threw a lot of RB/WR screens to his side and reverses. He needs to work on his strength because he wasnt able to get off the blocks and we gave up some chunk yardage on those plays. Being a true freshamn this isnt overly concerning and he is expected to be weak. One of the problems when u lack depth at the position. He brings the much needed speed to the postiion..Hit that weight room Maleek because you will be starting next year.

Jamal Carter
- Poor game....Man I really think he should have grown into a LB here, Dude has no safety awareness at all. That PI call was embarassing. His only hope at making it in the league is switching over to WLB like Ray Ray

Rayshawn Jenkins- Had a good game..Has Ed Reed type instincts but average athleticism. He had a pretty good career minus the embarassing missed tackles. Wouldnt be surposed to see him make an NFL roster.

Corn- Team was purposely staying away from him... best player on the defense this year..Will have a long career at nickel corner in the league..and possibly outside corner. Has legit strength, speed(Remember when he hawked down cook) instincts and he is very quick twitchy.. Is a natural corner and outstanding tackler one of the best on our team.

Stacy Coley- Had a good game minus the drop. Kaaya overthrew him several times. Great route runner and great blocker he was mauling corners down the field. Needs to stay discipline way too many holding calls this year and last night. Strenth has improved tremendously from freshmen and sophmore years. Only thing is Ive never recalled a player getting slower as they got stronger. He was much faster his freshman year.. Plays like a a 4.55-4.59 guy. SHould get drafted in the middle rounds hope he stays healthy.

Mark Walton- Man is he a football player..not the greatest running back weve ever had but he is great at playing football. Definitely has the heart, strength and toughness. You cant work on vision thats natural but he can work on explosion.. He is tenth of a second away from being semi-elite. Definitely more explosive and stronger than last year if he can improve just as much next year he will be the best back in the ACC, Crossing my fingers

Joe Yearby- DOnt know what he did to fall out of the coaches graces..most instinctual RB on the team. SHould have found some more ways to get him the ball last night.

Kaaya- He came back to play well but starting out the game with 6 three and outs in a row with no first downs was flat out embarassing. Dude is madly inconsistent. If he comes back great if he doesnt

Ahmon Richards- Oh my that boy is special..Dam!!!!

Ok gotta go feel free to add anything first bowl win in 12 years!! BEating NEvada 21-20 in the MPC bowl doesnt count!!

Advertisement
I wouldn't be surposed about Jenkins either, he is supprosed to be a good player

WR's in general have stepped up lately. No drops this game or the last few if my memory serves me well. This was a major issue at the beginning of the season

I'm going to miss Njoku, man. What a ******* monster. I'll give Golden props for this find. I don't think he goes as the first TE taken, but I think he'll be the best one of the class.

Small thing... shout out to Travis Homer for being a special teams ACE all season. Last night was all physical mistakes, but he closes on returners quickly and makes sure tackles. I didn't think that interference call should have been called; he murdered that guy AFTER the ball hit him. Whatever. Nice to see special teams cover well (for the most part).

This is cheesy as ****, but I'm going to give a special shout out to some of our seniors:

Isidora was a rock for us throughout his career. I think he'll make an NFL roster
Coley was so fun to watch at his best. He killed the Noles every time we played, so I have love for him. I wish his sophomore season never happened, but what can you do. His freshman year was legendary and he was a solid weapon this year. He did score 9 TDs after all
Malcolm Lewis Man this kid was the definition of perseverance and is a Cane til death. I was so excited to see him score last night. Scored in his first game vs BC, scored in his last game. His career was derailed in Atlanta, there is no doubt, but he stuck it out and made some nice grabs for us this year. Loved this guy
Dobard Salute to Standish. He didn't have the career I thought he would have here, but he seemed like a great teammate and everyone appears to love the guy. He also brought us Willis, who is a certified lunatic
Corn consistently our best player on defense. Some (many) questioned how good he would be when we signed him late, but I knew from watching him in high school that he was an elite athlete. He locked down half the field for us year round and was extremely physical his entire time here. And of course, there was that little return in Durham, NC. Going to be a great nickel corner in the league
Jenkins came back from a bad injury and was solid. I think he can make an NFL roster
JRock As Vern said, should have been a linebacker. Guy was a physical freak but was pretty average. Might be a good NFL player if he changes positions

Last by not least, my man Justin ******* Vogel. All this dude did was transfer in and flip fields for us. Punting doesn't matter until you don't have it. Guy was MONEY on our own end of the field and pinning teams deep. We will miss him.

Advertisement
To answer your question Vern, Chad was injured this year, he played with a broken hand for most of the season...

Still lead the team in TFL's & was 2nd in Sacks...

I agree with everything you wrote fam, great write up.

Started with 5 3 and outs, not 6. That 6th drive we got a PI then a 15 yard catch. Dead ball late hit got us -15 but still got a first down on a penalty and a 2nd on a pass. While that drive did nothing scoring wise, it set us up to pin them deep to flip the field, which we did and scored on the first play following the punt.

Good post, Vern!

Our boys came to play last night. Them boyz looked like they wanted no part of that ****. Courtel looked like a possessed man out there. Our D is straight up nasty. We can still improve on offense. As long as Richt stays aggressive in his play calling and doesn't go all conservative we should be able to put up points. The talent is definitely there.

Advertisement
Good stuff OP, I'm very excited for our LBs. McCloud definitely played his best game as a Cane, and the other two played well. Very excited for their futures.

I'm going to miss Njoku, man. What a ****ing monster. I'll give Golden props for this find. I don't think he goes as the first TE taken, but I think he'll be the best one of the class.

Small thing... shout out to Travis Homer for being a special teams ACE all season. Last night was all physical mistakes, but he closes on returners quickly and makes sure tackles. I didn't think that interference call should have been called; he murdered that guy AFTER the ball hit him. Whatever. Nice to see special teams cover well (for the most part).

This is cheesy as ****, but I'm going to give a special shout out to some of our seniors:

Isidora was a rock for us throughout his career. I think he'll make an NFL roster
Coley was so fun to watch at his best. He killed the Noles every time we played, so I have love for him. I wish his sophomore season never happened, but what can you do. His freshman year was legendary and he was a solid weapon this year. He did score 9 TDs after all
Malcolm Lewis Man this kid was the definition of perseverance and is a Cane til death. I was so excited to see him score last night. Scored in his first game vs BC, scored in his last game. His career was derailed in Atlanta, there is no doubt, but he stuck it out and made some nice grabs for us this year. Loved this guy
Dobard Salute to Standish. He didn't have the career I thought he would have here, but he seemed like a great teammate and everyone appears to love the guy. He also brought us Willis, who is a certified lunatic
Corn consistently our best player on defense. Some (many) questioned how good he would be when we signed him late, but I knew from watching him in high school that he was an elite athlete. He locked down half the field for us year round and was extremely physical his entire time here. And of course, there was that little return in Durham, NC. Going to be a great nickel corner in the league
Jenkins came back from a bad injury and was solid. I think he can make an NFL roster
JRock As Vern said, should have been a linebacker. Guy was a physical freak but was pretty average. Might be a good NFL player if he changes positions

Last by not least, my man Justin ****ing Vogel. All this dude did was transfer in and flip fields for us. Punting doesn't matter until you don't have it. Guy was MONEY on our own end of the field and pinning teams deep. We will miss him.

Agree on all points.

I'm going to miss Njoku, man. What a ****ing monster. I'll give Golden props for this find. I don't think he goes as the first TE taken, but I think he'll be the best one of the class.

Last by not least, my man Justin ****ing Vogel. All this dude did was transfer in and flip fields for us. Punting doesn't matter until you don't have it. Guy was MONEY on Malcolm Lewis Man this kid was the definition of perseverance and is a Cane til death. I was so excited to see him score last night. Scored in his first game vs BC, scored in his last game. His career was derailed in Atlanta, there is no doubt, but he stuck it out and made some nice grabs for us this year. Loved this guy
Dobard Salute to Standish. He didn't have the career I thought he would have here, but he seemed like a great teammate and everyone appears to love the guy. He also brought us Willis, who is a certified lunaticour own end of the field and pinning teams deep. We will miss him.

Good Calls on Isidora, Vogel, Dobard & Malcolm Lewis

Last edited:
Pinckney is a beast, as well as Shaq. McCloud played lights out last night.

If he plays like he that next year, along with our nasty D-line, our D will be top 10.

Only question mark will be the secondary. Dean will be a very important get, as well as Edwards.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not gonna grade everybody just the ones who stood out good or bad...You get a better feel of how players perform when your at the game..

Chad Thomas- Best game he has played as a Cane!! he looked quicker and more explosive.. He didnt make many plays like he did when he chased dwn the QB on that scarmble and made him fumble... Looked liked he was shot out of a cannon..Maybe he was injured this year? Although he missed the quarterback a few times in the backfield he was "Flying Around" My suggest for him is get a little more leaner and quicker. He better beast next year!!!

Courtel Jenkins- Dam he looked like the best DT out there. He better not transfer. Dude was creating havoc all night. Came back after a scary knee injury.

Joe Jackson- WIll have double digit sacks next year Dam that boy is explosive.. He has that bend

Darion Owens- man was he terrible.. He looked like a fish out of water out there. Skyler was embarassing him in the open field.. Another OP said he is not back from knee injury..I hope that was the case because he was a lianility on defense. West Virginia was going at him purposely. Even the WV fans saw it. HE needs to be moved to rush end in my opinion

Shaq Quarterman- Is always where he's suppose to be. He is a very good linebacker. Needs a little more speed to be elite. If i was him I'd work on all speed and explosion drills. Very Bright Future

Zach Mcloud- Took a big step up today this was also his best game as a cane. He was flying everywhere and reading plays. It was amazing to watch. Looked like he wasnt thinking out there and was playing super fast.

Mike Pinckney-IMO he is our best linebacker. Future is so bright for us mane. Limitied time due to the ejection but was making plays while he was out there like always

Maleek Young- Secondary didnt really get tested down the field. THey threw a lot of RB/WR screens to his side and reverses. He needs to work on his strength because he wasnt able to get off the blocks and we gave up some chunk yardage on those plays. Being a true freshamn this isnt overly concerning and he is expected to be weak. One of the problems when u lack depth at the position. He brings the much needed speed to the postiion..Hit that weight room Maleek because you will be starting next year.

Jamal Carter
- Poor game....Man I really think he should have grown into a LB here, Dude has no safety awareness at all. That PI call was embarassing. His only hope at making it in the league is switching over to WLB like Ray Ray

Rayshawn Jenkins- Had a good game..Has Ed Reed type instincts but average athleticism. He had a pretty good career minus the embarassing missed tackles. Wouldnt be surposed to see him make an NFL roster.

Corn- Team was purposely staying away from him... best player on the defense this year..Will have a long career at nickel corner in the league..and possibly outside corner. Has legit strength, speed(Remember when he hawked down cook) instincts and he is very quick twitchy.. Is a natural corner and outstanding tackler one of the best on our team.

Stacy Coley- Had a good game minus the drop. Kaaya overthrew him several times. Great route runner and great blocker he was mauling corners down the field. Needs to stay discipline way too many holding calls this year and last night. Strenth has improved tremendously from freshmen and sophmore years. Only thing is Ive never recalled a player getting slower as they got stronger. He was much faster his freshman year.. Plays like a a 4.55-4.59 guy. SHould get drafted in the middle rounds hope he stays healthy.

Mark Walton- Man is he a football player..not the greatest running back weve ever had but he is great at playing football. Definitely has the heart, strength and toughness. You cant work on vision thats natural but he can work on explosion.. He is tenth of a second away from being semi-elite. Definitely more explosive and stronger than last year if he can improve just as much next year he will be the best back in the ACC, Crossing my fingers

Joe Yearby- DOnt know what he did to fall out of the coaches graces..most instinctual RB on the team. SHould have found some more ways to get him the ball last night.

Kaaya- He came back to play well but starting out the game with 6 three and outs in a row with no first downs was flat out embarassing. Dude is madly inconsistent. If he comes back great if he doesnt

Ahmon Richards- Oh my that boy is special..Dam!!!!

Ok gotta go feel free to add anything first bowl win in 12 years!! BEating NEvada 21-20 in the MPC bowl doesnt count!!

LMFAO!!!! Black, great write up! And I have to agree with you with Nevada !!

Is it possible to post without posting these long previous post. I'm pretty sure that most of us can try your answer to the correct post...

Advertisement
Back