BLASPHEMY! Are the 2019 Buckeyes as good as the 2001 Canes?

Short answer is NO...........Long answer is **** NO

hell no8.gif

Last edited:
Advertisement
ESPN pays some dumbass to generate clickbait articles. Quality and accuracy are secondary concerns. Then people spread said clickbait on forums, facebook, etc. People all point and laugh and debate. Meanwhile, the article gets read by a wide audience and the dumbass becomes a respected reporter because look at all the clicks and subsequent revenue they generate. Then people wonder why ESPN has gone downhill.

Their only decent win is against Wisconsin
...the operative word being decent. Wisconsin looked great until they didn't. Worse thing that could have happened to OSU is the Wisky looking to the Illini the week before. Live by the cupcake, die by the cupcake.

lol the 2001 canes are not #1 on any of their bullshyt lists but when it comes time to hype up another team they roll us out as the bar, phucking frauds

Advertisement

Ridiculously idiotic comparison! Comparing a (for now) undefeated team that hasn’t won anything yet to the greatest team/collection of talent of all time!
**** NAW!!

OSU can’t beat Bama without Tua, no chance against Clemson, and LSU will dog walk them in a revenge game for Burrow.

OSU have influential alum in media and very powerful boosters. They fully expect everyone to be just as obsessed and delusional about the Buckeyes as they are. Bunch of robots 🤖

It works for espn.. People still watch espn & click on their website.

But yea; The 2001 Canes was a team on a mission because the year before. The fiesta bowl seemed to be like a trap game. Chris Gamble played both WR and DB... People forget that everyone that covered ncaa football were basically saying they should have been in the bcs title game the previous year. They beat fsu during the season. & Oklahoma barely eclipsed double digits in the score.

Advertisement
Ohio State has an astronomical power rating, almost identical to where 2001 Miami was at this point. Obviously they need to keep going and finish things off. If that happens, this Buckeyes team will be compared to the 2001 Canes.

The top teams in college football are getting stronger and stronger. Elite talent is being monopolized. Apparently that is not well understood here. It is the reason there are so many nonsensical posts every offseason claiming Miami will run the table or nearby, due to weak schedule. Meanwhile the Canes are currently 26-27 points below Ohio State in averaging of the most reputable power ratings.

Ohio State never left the supreme top tier. Only the sustained ineptitude of JT Barrett made it appear that way. Barrett somehow managed numerous games below 4 YPA in an Urban Meyer offense and with top tier wide receivers.

Nothing is as mysterious when you keep track of the power ratings. The line movements are not baffling. The media buzz won't shock you. For many years after 2001 Miami the top teams in college football were in the 93 to 96 range in Jeff Sagarin's college football ratings. That has been creeping upward due to the monopolization. Alabama finished one season at 105, not far below 2001 Miami at 106. Now Ohio State is nearby the 105 range. This is not subjective malarkey. The same criteria are being supplied and spitting out these numbers. One of these days some team is going to run the table with a sky high power rating and either be compared to 2001 Miami or considered above.

Only knock on 01 canes is the coach was retarded. Almost lost to BC with that roster

Advertisement
Do you not believe that margin of victory matters?

-They played a very solid IU team on the road earlier this year. They won by 41.
-They played a Cincy team that is 9-0 vs. every team not named OSU. They won 42-0.
-Their "decent" win against a top 15 Wisconsin team was by 31 points.
-They haven't won a single game by less than 24 points.

They have been incredible this year, by any criteria: the eye test, advanced stats, NFL talent, etc. They have up to 5 games left, all against excellent teams (PSU, Michigan, Wisconsin/Minnesota, CFP semis, CFP finals). They'll have many opportunities to amass other "decent" wins.

But as of today, they look like a phenomenal team.

Wow, one of your arguments is Indiana, let me say that again, INDIANA, football................
another is Cincy, an American Athletic Conference team whose brutal schedule includes the likes of Tulsa, Uconn, East Carolina, and Marshall, just to name a few.
Don't get me wrong, osu does look good, but they really haven't played much of anyone. Big10 is highly overrated, as always.

Advertisement
Didn't they just have a ranking or something of the greatest CFB teams ever and the 01 Canes didn't come out on top? If that's the case why do they always compare current teams to the 01 Canes?

Ridiculously idiotic comparison! Comparing a (for now) undefeated team that hasn’t won anything yet to the greatest team/collection of talent of all time!

funny how the sports media outlets Rank Reggie Bush USC and Vince Young Texas Better than the 2001 UM Team but when it's time to do comparisons they always fall back to the 2001 UM Team. Kinda comical

Wow, one of your arguments is Indiana, let me say that again, INDIANA, football................
another is Cincy, an American Athletic Conference team whose brutal schedule includes the likes of Tulsa, Uconn, East Carolina, and Marshall, just to name a few.
Don't get me wrong, osu does look good, but they really haven't played much of anyone. Big10 is highly overrated, as always.

Indiana and Cincinnati are solid teams this year. They're as good as anyone in the Coastal. Per FPI, we are the best team in the Coastal at 26 overall. Indiana is at 28 and Cincinnati is at 29. Depending on how things play out, they could both finish the season ranked.

But my post is not about the quality of teams they have played. What I'm trying to communicate is that margin of victory matters. It's extremely indicative of a team's strength, and therefore highly predictive.

You shouldn't be impressed with OSU beating Indiana and Cincinnati. I fully agree with you on that. But you SHOULD be impressed that they beat them by 83 points combined.

Indiana and Cincinnati are solid teams this year. They're as good as anyone in the Coastal. Per FPI, we are the best team in the Coastal at 26 overall. Indiana is at 28 and Cincinnati is at 29. Depending on how things play out, they could both finish the season ranked.

But my post is not about the quality of teams they have played. What I'm trying to communicate is that margin of victory matters. It's extremely indicative of a team's strength, and therefore highly predictive.

You shouldn't be impressed with OSU beating Indiana and Cincinnati. I fully agree with you on that. But you SHOULD be impressed that they beat them by 83 points combined.

I will give you that. I just hate osu. That's all. And the Big10

Advertisement
Back