Blake James/Salary Question

All good bro - I feel ya

Yeah, I was just saying who we comp with. I’m sure the reasoning as to whycomp to these smaller state schools is not reasonable. Wouldn’t be surprised if we are just cheap.

The tax return you posted backs it up. If he was in the Top 16 compensated, he would be there. And he wasn’t.

It’s bullsh*t

There is the problem. We pay someone nothing. That someone isn’t qualified for this gig or a similar gig. That someone is a failure who thought it was a good idea to pay $4MM to Temple for the rights to promote a DC from a failed regime.

That $4MM alone could have went to an AD who was competent, passionate and qualified for the position. Give them autonomy and we’re in a much much much better situation and Diaz is in Philly.

Advertisement
There is the problem. We pay someone nothing. That someone isn’t qualified for this gig or a similar gig. That someone is a failure who thought it was a good idea to pay $4MM to Temple for the rights to promote a DC from a failed regime.

That $4MM alone could have went to an AD who was competent, passionate and qualified for the position. Give them autonomy and we’re in a much much much better situation and Diaz is in Philly.
Yeah, it’s awful. Why not get a $1 million valued Athletic Director and just downgrade the $2 million Urologist to a $1.5 million Urologist?

Advertisement
Do you have any reasoning behind that?
In a 2013 article,USA Today said the average salary for a D1 AD was 515K$. 7 years later, it’s safe to assume the average is higher than that so even if we are paying cheap for Blake, he could be around 500k$. Wouldn’t be surprise if he’s paid more by how soft our university is.

In a 2013 article,USA Today said the average salary for a D1 AD was 515K$. 7 years later, it’s safe to assume the average is higher than that so even if we are paying cheap for Blake, he could be around 500k$. Wouldn’t be surprise if he’s paid more by how soft our university is.

Averages can be greatly skewed. What was the median salary for a D1 AD?

Let's not ignore the POSSIBILITY that the AD salary is paid by the Hurricane Club.

1. Let's assume that Blake isn't paid directly by the university. Let's also assume he isn't a "Director" or "Key Employee" as per the Form 990. Aren't other coaches paid, at least partially from the Hurricane Club? Wouldn't that show up under (F) Estimated Amount of other compensation from the organization and related organizations?

2. What do you think his annual salary is TOC?

Advertisement
Let's not ignore the POSSIBILITY that the AD salary is paid by the Hurricane Club.
Don’t charge me for this legal question but IF he is paid by another entity, is he/ can he still be considered an employee of the university? And I have a follow up.

What difference does it make what he is paid, the question is who at UM is responsible for hiring or firing the AD?

Don’t charge me for this legal question but IF he is paid by another entity, is he/ can he still be considered an employee of the university? And I have a follow up.

Maybe that is why he is “employed” by the university. He is in this limbo universe, like Milton Waddams, where he was fired but due to a glitch in the system he still hangs around.

Advertisement
Why Cinn? Why not UVA?

Also, why doesn’t he show up on those tax forms?
He would show up if Miami considered him a key employee or he was one of the top 5 other highest compensated individuals. The second group will be physicians, coaches, etc. and certainly earn more than him. Unless the athletic department takes up 10% or more of the school’s activities, income, assets, or capital expenditures, he wouldn’t meet that definition either. I doubt the athletic department for Miami rises to that level.

He would show up if Miami considered him a key employee or he was one of the top 5 other highest compensated individuals. The second group will be physicians, coaches, etc. and certainly earn more than him. Unless the athletic department takes up 10% or more of the school’s activities, income, assets, or capital expenditures, he wouldn’t meet that definition either. I doubt the athletic department for Miami rises to that level.

In general:

1. I don't see how he is not a "key employee" when people employed in his department are on that list.

2. If we're going by "highest compensated", there are some that make ~$500K. You don't think the athletic director at our school makes more than that. Please note I am not talking about "trustees", I am talking about actual employees currently employed (or at least employed when those statements were filed).

What difference does it make what he is paid, the question is who at UM is responsible for hiring or firing the AD?

1. I am curious how much money they waste on his employment. It is more of a theme on how our BOTs and ADMIN run things here.

2. For your question, the BOTs and President could fire him. They would likely hire the next one too.

Advertisement
In general:

1. I don't see how he is not a "key employee" when people employed in his department are on that list.

2. If we're going by "highest compensated", there are some that make ~$500K. You don't think the athletic director at our school makes more than that. Please note I am not talking about "trustees", I am talking about actual employees currently employed (or at least employed when those statements were filed).
I’ll start this by saying 990s are the core part of my job and career. I work at a large 501c3 and prepare them in house and worked at a Big 4 accounting firm before in their exempt orgs group.

So to answer number 1. The people listed as compensated from athletics are under the five other highest compensated employees. That is independent from the he analysis of him being listed as a key employee. I think the school is probably a little light in the number of KE listed, but I can tell you a lot of organizations try to minimize the number of people listed on part VII for the obvious reason that comp is publicly listed. However, unless the AD makes up 10% of one of those above buckets, then he wouldn’t meet that definition.

2. The five highest compensated employees are the five employees of the school who are not officers, directors, or key employees. So take out Frenk, the provost, etc. You would then look at all of the school’s issues W-2s and report those next five people. That’s why they are all paid around $2m plus. There are probably a ton of UHealth physicians that make more than James too. Pretty much, there is no chance he would get reported under this bucket.

3. As to your question about the Hurricane Club and related income. The person would have to still meet one of the definitions above, but the Hurricane Club would have to be legally related to the school (subsidiary or brother-sister entity). If they were, they would be reported on Schedule R, which they aren’t.

The very legal answer is it depends. But the short answer is yes they could. There are a lot of situations where people are paid by multiple legal entities within the same organization, or where they are allowed to do work outside of their employment.

I dont know what he makes, but with the football HC track record he’s building, I’m sure the othe ACC schools would happily drop off some bags for UM to keep him right where he is. Besides, the women’s volleyball schedule is always in on time.

The very legal answer is it depends. But the short answer is yes they could. There are a lot of situations where people are paid by multiple legal entities within the same organization, or where they are allowed to do work outside of their employment.
That was my belief but wanted confirmation from a legal eagle. I can see how an employee’s salary could be paid through “donations” or through another avenue and be legally employed by a certain entity.

Advertisement
Back