Blake James/Salary Question

You just lie over and over and over again.

We spend plenty of money on coordinators. We just gave Lashlee a big raise. If anything, we are technically OVERspending on coordinators, since we are paying Baker to do nothing for 2021.

We spend plenty of money on assistants. We just went out and threw a bunch of money at T-Rob. We just rehired a guy who was getting NFL money.

Our recruiting staff is NOT "headed up" by Mike Rumph.

We have analysts.

We have a recruiting budget (though we haven't had to spend it for a year).

We have no stadium? That's new information?

At least we know one thing for certain, NOTHING is going to prevent you from posting dopey, inaccurate porsts.

We don't even HAVE a defensive coordinator. We have Manny acting as both head coach AND defensive coordinator, and we have Blake Baker.... who has a DC title but not the responsibilities. You suggesting we're paying him what Clemson is paying Brent Venables?

Under Richt, we didn't have an offensive coordinator. We had Richt acting as both head coach AND offensive coordinator.

You mean to suggest that both of these men CHOSE to turn down offers of free money for staff? Bull ******* ****. NOBODY does that.

We grabbed Blake Baker out of obscurity, and the entire defensive staff were either GA's or coached in high school prior to getting hired by Manny. You're gonna tell me that we were paying them top dollar? Bull****. That has all the markings of a rinky dink budget.

Here's what the facts tell us - when Miami decides to spend in one area, they cut corners somewhere else. Spend money on Richt.... save money on an OC. Spend money on Lashlee and T Rob... don't hire a DC. Always half-assing, never doing what it takes to win.

Say what you want about that being Richt/Manny's call, I don't buy it. The whole narrative that the board offered them money and they turned it down is unsubstantiated message board horse****.

No.... seeing is believing. We have a GREEN staff, and we had a green staff under the previous coach as well. That tells me we have a cheapskate administration who pinches pennies at every turn, and is unwilling to invest in the football program.

That's what the EVIDENCE suggests. Everything else...all the stories about trustees being willing to spend but the coach just didn't want to.... nothing but hearsay and rumor.

Our admin is CHEAP. End of story.

Advertisement
The five highest compensated is required. It’s not optional. You have to put the 5 people that make more than $100k and are not elsewhere on Part VII as an officer or key employee. You also have to list former officers if they were active in the five previous years and are paid over $100k in the current year. Not optional.

Dee was listed partially because it was before the UHealth acquisition. Now we have physicians taking those spots for 5 HCEs.

Miami’s 990 is for the entire school including UHealth. However, a lot of public schools do not have to file, specifically if they are part of the state system. They are then considered 115 government entities. Other schools separate their athletic department. Georgia is set up this way.

Relax, I am just saying that the 990 salary disclosure does not have to be limited to just five people for "officers" or "highly-compensated". It can be more. Many entities try to provide as few as possible, and I was pointing out that the AD job does not necessarily constitute a "key employee" either. Without knowing everyone's roles who are listed on the 990, it is hard to predict exactly how many total employees will be listed, and there are certainly times when a person making a high salary will not be on the form, and a person making less (but meeting a different rule) will be listed.

He was asking why the AD is not listed on the most recent 990, and I was pointing out that the position is not an officer, director (regardless of title), trustee, or most highly compensated employee. Even before UHealth, Dee was the University's Vice President and General Counsel (since 1981), so there were several reasons why he may have been listed on the 990, as an officer or a past officer, in addition to his other jobs in the Athletic Department or with UHealth.

I don't know what Blake makes...it is way too much regardless.

You look at old forms (https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/590624458/2008_02_EO/59-0624458_990_200605) and you can clearly see Paul Dee in 2006 and he made $369K.

Definitely didn't say that artfully enough.

I'm not saying that the 2006 Dee salary is absolutely higher than the 2020 James salary, just that Dee was more likely to be one of the more highly-comped employees in his day. Dee was an officer of UM since 1981, I'm sure he was well-paid and didn't take a massive pay cut to be AD.

Without a doubt, salaries increase over time. Richt was making almost double what Coker was making 15 years earlier. But I would imagine that Coker was also one of the most highly-comped employees when he was at UM, even at a lower salary.

One thing that Blake James has going for him (as Dee did) was a longer tenure, though at a lower position within the University. Obviously, it's hard to prove without paystubs, but someone asked the basis for the guesstimation of Blake's salary. Based on the market and all available info, the range of 250K to 500K seems like the most likely range.

One thing that Blake James has going for him (as Dee did) was a longer tenure, though at a lower position within the University. Obviously, it's hard to prove without paystubs, but someone asked the basis for the guesstimation of Blake's salary. Based on the market and all available info, the range of 250K to 500K seems like the most likely range.

If Blake makes $500K (even if he made less), that would "essentially" make him the lowest paid AD in the conference. It would be a 40% difference between him and the next known salary (see below). Even though he deserves nothing, I doubt he gets paid that little. Plus we're known for waste and employing the unemployable.

Don't be shocked if made somewhere in the $700K-$900K range. See post #48 in this topic for more.

Source: https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-athletic-director-salaries/

b6ce8eba05130360ff1987596264c397981cc489

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back