Blake James interview 7-23-15

brock

All-American
FRIDAY BUZZ COLUMN

One thing that was made clear this week: Unlike Las Vegas odds-makers and some national college football reporters, the UM administration does not consider this a rebuilding year, a year when another mediocre season can be written off or excused.

With questions swirling about Al Golden’s job security beyond this season, make no mistake: The expectations from the top of UM's athletic department are much higher than they are nationally.

In fact, athletic director Blake James said he believes UM has enough talent to compete for the ACC's Coastal Division title this season.

“Al understands expectations of the program,” James said in a conversation this week inside the lobby in the Pinehurst (N.C.) Resort, where the ACC was holding its annual media event.

“Our conversation [this offseason] was [that] I expect us to be a winning program," James said. "He understands those expectations and I’m confident he will get us in position to win Coastal championships, win ACC championships and ultimately win national championships.

“Let’s start with winning the Coastal. That’s something we need to do. If you win the ACC, I’ve always said, you've got a great chance of winning the national championship in any sport…. Let’s go out and win the Coastal because I would feel very good about where we are nationally.”

I asked James what he tells donors and fans who ask what Golden must do to remain the coach beyond this year.

Here was James’ answer: “Al wants to win. I want to win. Our donors, our fans, our friends want to win. Anyone who has an affinity to the University of Miami wants to see us win.

“Al knows he needs to win. Our guys know we need to win. I know we need to win. I’m confident they are taking the steps they need to take to go out and take care of business this year.”

James’ vision for the program includes this: “I believe as we continue to get young men coming into our program that are elite players, we are going to see that return where’s it not rebuilding, it’s reloading. We are going to see that year after year. There is just so much talent not only in South Florida but in the state of Florida.

“The University of Miami has such a strong national brand, that we will continue to get players like Brad Kaaya out of California and throughout the country, like we’ve done historically. I do think, and people don’t always like to hear this, that there was that void when we were under the NCAA cloud. We’ve moved beyond that.

“When I look at all the names I’m signing [National Letters of Intents] for, I know our program is going in the right direction because we’re in conversations with all the elite players.”

Why does James expect more this season than what oddsmakers predict (UM’s over/under for wins in Vegas is 5.5 or 6)?

“I like the guys that we have coming back,” James said. “You have a great leader and quarterback in Brad Kaaya. I think we are going to see our defense continue to get better. I just think we’re going to be a better team overall. I don’t get caught up in what the media thinks or what Vegas thinks.

“The [UM players and coaches] are doing the things in the offseason that they need to do to put themselves in position to win. We didn’t execute at the level we thought we should have or could have in a lot of games last year. With that, you end up at a 6-7. If you execute to the level I think we can, we can have a lot of success.”

So is it reasonable to expect a 9- or 10-win season?

“I don’t get into looking at numbers but what I do expect to see is us executing at a higher level and performing at a higher level and going out and winning games,” James said.

“At the end of the year, we’ll look at the whole picture. You go into the season not looking to win 9 or 10 games. You go into the season looking to win every game. I hope and expect that for all of our coaches. I don’t want any one of our coaches or student athletes saying we are going to lose these four or three or two games or whatever. Let’s go win every game.”

Golden's contract runs through Feb. 1, 2020.

Incidentally, James, who has done great work upgrading facilities, said lights were installed on the practice field this week (costing about $500,000). He wants an indoor practice facility but UM needs a big donation (“a naming-type gift”) to finance it.

“Without that, it can’t become a reality,” he said. “….My goal is to go through the needs we have and scratch as many as you can off the list.”

CHATTER

### Regarding UM’s non-conference scheduling, “Al and I have talked about that,” James said. “We need to play a big game [every year]. This year, it’s Nebraska.” It’s Notre Dame in 2016 and 2017 and LSU in Arlington, Tx., in 2018 and Michigan State in 2020 and 2021.

“Big game every year and then we need to have a competitive one,” James said. “Cincinnati [which hosts UM Oct. 1] is going to be a very strong team in the American Athletic Conference this year. You could [supplement] that with Bethune Cookman. I believe in helping those programs out. I’d like us to continue to play FIU and Florida Atlantic.”

Also booked for future games: Arkansas State, Toledo and Rutgers.

UM athletic director addresses Golden, his own expectations for football team; Dolphins, Marlins, Heat notes; Radio chatter | Sports Buzz

Last edited:
Advertisement
Golden knows he is going to have to coach aggressive in games IMO(should have been doing this). Never seen flake James this stern, either way looking foward to seeing how this saga unfolds in the next 4 months. Either we win big or we get a new coach its that simple

"I don’t want any one of our coaches or student athletes saying we are going to lose these four or three or two games or whatever. Let’s go win every game.”

Best thing he's said in three years.

Still **** him until proven otherwise.

Advertisement
I have zero faith in this powerless puppet. On top of the fact he's not very intelligent he strikes me as having zero balls.

This issue here is the definition of "acceptability". The fact that fat piece of **** was given a mulligan after losing SEVEN games in his FOURTH full year with a team full of talent and a relatively decent schedule tells you everything you need to know.

Root for as many losses as earthly possible given that weak *** schedule.

He is Al Goldens *****.
Made sure to bring up the "cloud". Didn't commit to win total.
7-6 is a winning season and a success to AL and Blake.

Didn't make sense until I read OP's thread title again. Must be Black James, Blake James' heterosexual, aggressive Nubian cousin.

The guy would be the southern savage of AD's, wants the program to win above all else. Too bad we don't have him.

Advertisement
Didn't make sense until I read OP's thread title again. Must be Black James, Blake James' heterosexual, aggressive Nubian cousin.

The guy would be the southern savage of AD's, wants the program to win above all else. Too bad we don't have him.

lol my bad man

I have zero faith in this powerless puppet. On top of the fact he's not very intelligent he strikes me as having zero balls.

This issue here is the definition of "acceptability". The fact that fat piece of **** was given a mulligan after losing SEVEN games in his FOURTH full year with a team full of talent and a relatively decent schedule tells you everything you need to know.

Root for as many losses as earthly possible given that weak *** schedule.

It's funny, we NEVER heard him sound like this when shalala was the president... Hmmmm

****! Right on Flake. Is it just me or is Flake leading AL on the used car sales board this month???

Advertisement
One salesman loses his pitch so the other one tries to jump in. Lulz at this banana in the tailpipe

Advertisement
Golden will choke now for sure.

When you coach scared, you're afraid of making mistakes. And Golden can't keep up with the games as it is. D'Onofrio certainly can't. And Coobo gets excited and calls the same plays over, and over, and over.

Choke city.

He is Al Goldens *****.
Made sure to bring up the "cloud". Didn't commit to win total.
7-6 is a winning season and a success to AL and Blake.

What AD says a coach needs to win "this many games" before a season starts? Thats bad business for the AD and the team.
The entire season the team has a countdown in their head of how many wins it'll take for the coach to not get fired. ADs don't operate that way. Even the good ones.

Advertisement
Back