Blake Baker

Advertisement
Him and Stroud are really underwhelming
Stroud was a great addition as an analyst but is a horrible addition to the coaching staff. An old fart who is nothing more than a journeyman. After 3 years of innovative coaching at DL we've found ourselves a coRch.

Manny is surrounding himself on defense with nothing but his very limited coaching network and it's starting to cost us.

Advertisement
That 4th and 17 blitz was classic Manny stuff. You're kidding yourselves if you think he wouldn't have called something like that as a DC, but, now as the HC, he needs to have the perspective to change it up. There are uncountable alternatives in that situation that would get home and end that play in the backfield, or 10 yards short of the marker.

This thread needs to be the main thread on the board for a full week

Baker is FCKING TERRIBLE

You know what we saw out there last night guys? We saw the original manny diaz defense from his first season, you know the one i'm talking about. The one where he sends these stupid blitzes that everyone and their mom knows is coming. Manny was smart enough to dump that crap and adjusted very very well.

But guess what? That's what blake baker runs and has run. He runs what he learned from manny and he hasn't adjusted or maybe even had to adjust it yet.

If diaz has a sack he will pull the play calling duties from baker and take over the defense. If he does that, crazy as it may sound right now, we may run the table. Enos pulled his head out of his *** last night and showed remarkable improvement, now the defense needs to do the same. That was NOT diaz's defense or miami's defense last night no way no how nope nope nope.

Pack your bags baker, this D looks like a pile of sh*t and it's on you.
My thoughts exactly. The people who are saying that what we have seen is typical Manny have not been paying attention. Yes Diaz started off like that but he learned quickly that it wouldn't cut it and he adjusted beautifully culminating in a great year for the defense last year. Baker is still running the Diaz base defense with all the annoying crap that never worked and ****ed off the fans and I don't think he knows anything else.

I have no problem that Baker came from La Tech as many excellent coaches get their start at those types of schools. What I do have a problem with is that we can see now that Baker's knowledge is limited and he just was not ready to be a DC at this level. That makes it a lazy short sighted hire on Manny's part. I agree that Diaz needs to be fully prepared to take back full control of the defense. He is the head coach and ultimately he is responsible. He can't afford to have Baker ******* things up.

Unless we see tremendous growth and adjustments from Baker this year, Diaz will have no choice but to fire him. It's not just Baker either. To me these are the other position coaches on the hot seat. Rumph, Banda, Patke, Stroud and Stubblefeild. Have not been the least bit impressed with any of them. Rumph is a good teacher but the problem is that he can't recruit so what ends up happening is eventually when the CBs are all guys Rumph recruited it starts to look like it did last night. Basically like ****.

We HAVE NO ******' LBs, Fake Manny running a 4-11 scheme. Our starting alleged LB's will go undrafted

Advertisement
Baker - Another coach who tries to do too much with this scheme/play calling.

Manny learned after 2016 that it wasn’t necessary, and he made the adjustments.

Manny filled the staff with a bunch of green, no coaches that he had a relationship with. Biggest name is Enos who Manny only hired because he killed Manny when at Arkansas. But then he gave Enos full autonomy in choosing his offense staff and we end up with an assistant OL caoch and Air Forces WR coach. Does Air Force even throw the ball? Might as well hired GT's guy, at least they are Power 5.

Advertisement
Our linebackers are really overrated especially Shaq
So ******* slow. Also love how every time a QB steps up from the pocket and might run for it Shaq immediately abandons his assignment and runs straight to the QB. Why do we seem to have the dumbest players every year?

Did Baker blow the coverage for UNC's first TD or did Bandy? People kept complaining that Hill needed to play more but every time he was in and Carolina ran the ball, they went right by him. All the missed tackles, they run drills in every practice, but the players keep whiffing on them in games. I'm not saying Baker doesn't have his share of blame, he does, but it's more than just Baker.

No offense, but this is a very Al Golden-era excuse....

We're not penetrating, attacking or setting the edge, and we don't seem well prepared; there are problems at all levels of this defense but it starts with the fundamental approach on the defensive side of the ball. I don't hear loud noises and there's no unwavering violence. In fact, we look very passive and unwilling/unable to dictate the terms of the game with our physicality.

The offense--and mainly QB play--has improved since last season and game1, but there remains room for significant improvement. The defense is just the opposite and the two have one common denominator... New coordinator.

Last edited:
Blitzing wasn't the problem yesterday. It was the fact that we left our CBs out on island all day despite them continuing to get beat. We were too scared of their ******* running game and we couldn't adjust when it turned out their QB was doing all the damage.
I love Gurvan Hall potential and what he could be but he just played his assignments pretty bad on the 4th and 17 play and the game winning touchdown pass. On both plays it looks like he has the outside corner with help on the inside. He gets beats to the outside on both plays cause he gets caught up inside. If he plays the 4th and 17 play the right way I think Gilbert F. gets to the quarterback and we are talking about this in another light

Advertisement
4 plays that went for over 25 yards tonight.

Gifting opponents position inside our half one every 3 drives basically.

We had them pinned on their side of the field late in the game and he lets them convert a third and long run

I love Gurvan Hall potential and what he could be but he just played his assignments pretty bad on the 4th and 17 play and the game winning touchdown pass. On both plays it looks like he has the outside corner with help on the inside. He gets beats to the outside on both plays cause he gets caught up inside. If he plays the 4th and 17 play the right way I think Gilbert F. gets to the quarterback and we are talking about this in another light
This is tough to read. Our players sometimes just play so stupidly

Advertisement
Back