Blake baker and company

Cane passion

Sophomore
I’m so sick of the bashing of baker. You have elite teams giving up a lot of points on defense like LSU and Bama to name a few. You got guys who are starters on defense who don’t execute proper technique like shedding blocks making open field tackles and not making a play on the ball when it’s in the air. You got defensive ends flying upfield on power and zone. Then you have podcasters saying “ we play to much zone” I’m not playing man coverage against a mobile quarterback like hendon hooker or the UVA QB who can run. I mean don’t you think guys like Rumph and Banda talk to Ed reed about best technique and scheme .. like duhh...and bolden has look like **** the pass couple of games and he’s light in the ***. He better stay another year. Blades sucks too like really some of you guys don’t know football I trust my eyes and you guys that constantly bash Rumph and baker don’t have a clue I’m telling yah. YES BAKER CAN DO SOME THINGS BETTER but the defense has displayed on many occasions that they can get stops when it counts! Case in point the last two games in the fourth quarter Ivey got a pick (HE MADE A PLAY) defensive line stepping up against NC State (ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF MAKING A PLAY) players gotta make plays bottom line. We are not littered with 5 Starr kids it is what it is. We have no consistency with backer play. Is baker the best coordinator probably not but it’s NOT HIM OR RUMPHS FAULT.

Advertisement
He called a good game against VaTEch. Very good plan. The plays VaTech made were breakdowns by individual players, not the scheme or gameplan. I really want to see the gameplans for Wake and UNC. That's when we will be challenged by good offenses especially UNC as they are multi-dimensional.

Advertisement
Called a great game against VT. Deserves credit for that. Everyone knows our team is poorly coached in their respective positional units because our defensive staff consists of 2 former GAs, a former HS coach, and a former average G5 coordinator - those were their jobs before being hired as an on-field coach at Miami.

Stroud's resume is the only one that you can look at on paper and say he's deserving of his job. Banda has developed a pretty good list of NFL caliber Safeties and seems to recruit fairly well.

Beyond those 2 guys - the staff has good chemistry but that's about the extent of it.

I watch a lot of CFB and have for serveral years now. People that trashed our D last year were just idiots. This year, it's fair game at times. It's been up and down but by no means should he get the backlash that he's gotten. Poor recruiting at several spots before he even got here hurts this defense right now.

I’m so sick of the bashing of baker. You have elite teams giving up a lot of points on defense like LSU and Bama to name a few. You got guys who are starters on defense who don’t execute proper technique like shedding blocks making open field tackles and not making a play on the ball when it’s in the air. You got defensive ends flying upfield on power and zone. Then you have podcasters saying “ we play to much zone” I’m not playing man coverage against a mobile quarterback like hendon hooker or the UVA QB who can run. I mean don’t you think guys like Rumph and Banda talk to Ed reed about best technique and scheme .. like duhh...and bolden has look like **** the pass couple of games and he’s light in the ***. He better stay another year. Blades sucks too like really some of you guys don’t know football I trust my eyes and you guys that constantly bash Rumph and baker don’t have a clue I’m telling yah. YES BAKER CAN DO SOME THINGS BETTER but the defense has displayed on many occasions that they can get stops when it counts! Case in point the last two games in the fourth quarter Ivey got a pick (HE MADE A PLAY) defensive line stepping up against NC State (ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF MAKING A PLAY) players gotta make plays bottom line. We are not littered with 5 Starr kids it is what it is. We have no consistency with backer play. Is baker the best coordinator probably not but it’s NOT HIM OR RUMPHS FAULT.

easy there, mrs baker.

"We are not littered with 5 Starr kids it is what it is. We have no consistency with backer play. Is baker the best coordinator probably not but it’s NOT HIM OR RUMPHS FAULT."

Isn't it their job to recruit & sign the best players they can?

And if we have no consistency with LB play, isn't that the LB's coach job to get them to play more consistent?

Are they accidentally coaches who are volunteering, or do they get paid to do their job???

Advertisement
"We are not littered with 5 Starr kids it is what it is. We have no consistency with backer play. Is baker the best coordinator probably not but it’s NOT HIM OR RUMPHS FAULT."

Isn't it their job to recruit & sign the best players they can?

And if we have no consistency with LB play, isn't that the LB's coach job to get them to play more consistent?

Are they accidentally coaches who are volunteering, or do they get paid to do their job???
Yes! Good post!

@Liberty City El yes it is their job to recruit the best players but we gotta win. And it is their job to get the backers playing more consistent it unfortunately the light bulb isn’t coming on. It’s like they got a hall of gamer to talk to in their defensive meetings and Diaz is a great defensive mind. It’s like when is it gonna dawn on some of you that these guys do collaborate in defensive meetings. It’s not all baker and Rumph is all I’m saying

Go eat a snicker...jeez
seinfeld snickers GIF

Advertisement
They have elite talent throughout all 3 levels of that defense..they just don’t execute properly..but talent wise there no rzn their defense should be playing like they are
Just because they were highly rated out of high school does not mean they are elite talents. Not exectuing properly is a tell tale sign of NON elite talents..

@Liberty City El yes it is their job to recruit the best players but we gotta win. And it is their job to get the backers playing more consistent it unfortunately the light bulb isn’t coming on. It’s like they got a hall of gamer to talk to in their defensive meetings and Diaz is a great defensive mind. It’s like when is it gonna dawn on some of you that these guys do collaborate in defensive meetings. It’s not all baker and Rumph is all I’m saying
No one is confused nor assumes that it's all Baker & Rumph...

Baker & Rumph's criticism comes from the fact their units on the field are poorly coached AND they in particular have underperformed as recruiters, which leads to people wondering what exactly are they doing if they're not doing a great job coaching or recruiting?

They (along with Patke) catch the most heat because it's what they've earned due to their poor performances, if they were great recruiters or great coaches people wouldn't criticize them as much as they do, that's how it works with fans.

Advertisement
No one is confused nor assumes that it's all Baker & Rumph...

Baker & Rumph's criticism comes from the fact their units on the field are poorly coached AND they in particular have underperformed as recruiters, which leads to people wondering what exactly are they doing if they're not doing a great job coaching & they're not doing a great job recruiting either?

They (along with Patke) catch the most heat because it's what they've earned due to their poor performances, if they were great recruiters or great coaches people wouldn't criticize them as much as they do, that's how it works with fans.

rumph is deserving of every bit of criticism he gets so far from the fanbase. baker has been here for a year adn while hes been a mixed bag, it does hamper him a bit that he did lose his best defensive player a day before fall camp. he does have to prove his recruiting worth esp at LB though.

Just because they were highly rated out of high school does not mean they are elite talents. Not exectuing properly is a tell tale sign of NON elite talents..
No. Not executing is a sign of a disconnect between coaches and players. That has very little to with a guy’s talent level. They have the requisite athletes to be better then what they are...put it like this, if we were recruiting at the level LSU has been with the guys they have in their 2 deep and our defense was having the type of performances LSU has had this szn who is getting the blame? Coaches or player’s?

Advertisement
Back