Blake Baker’s use of Defensive Ends

The defense is not the problem. Can you imagine being a defensive coach with Enos's offense. Must be so frustrating.
I can't get behind this and I don't know how you guys all say this with a straight face. ALL of it is a problem. This defense consistently couldn't get stops when needed. Also it faced ZERO good offenses this year. Who was the best? Louisiville? LOL. How you guys watch the defense week in and week out and yet think they aren't an issue is mind boggling. As mentioned in this thread by countless examples, our best players aren't being put in the best position to succeed. Enos is absolutely garbage don't get me wrong but he competed against a number of good defenses this season unlike Baker. UF with Trask hangs 45 on a Baker led Defense.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This guy needs to be shown the door. What I saw from him tonight standing Patchan up as a rush end is just unacceptable. I saw him drop Patchan into coverage out of that stand up end position. I already haven spoken about his misuse of Roseau and garvin but tonight was another level of incompetence. This guy schematically is as bad as Enos. (I don’t want to hear that they “shut down” La Tech) That is what their supposed to do against a school of that level.

Not necessarily defending Blake but how do you argue that Rousseau was misused when he finishes 2nd in sacks in the nation? I can agree he should have started earlier, but a guy on the dline that finishes in the top 2 in sacks seems to me is not being misused. And we already heard stories of how Garvin pretty much checked out this season. Can't blame that one on Blake.

I can't get behind this and I don't know how you guys all say this with a straight face. ALL of it is a problem. This defense consistently couldn't get stops when needed. Also it faced ZERO good offenses this year. Who was the best? Louisiville? LOL. How you guys watch the defense week in and week out and yet think they aren't an issue is mind boggling. As mentioned in this thread by countless examples, our best players aren't being put in the best position to succeed. Enos is absolutely garbage don't get me wrong but he competed against a number of good defenses this season unlike Baker. UF with Trask hangs 45 on a Baker led Defense.

Not saying it is perfect, but it was not the problem this year. Offense was the biggest problem by a large margin. Once that gets fixed I will worry about other areas.

The best part was when the broadcasters were talking up Rousseau before a critical 3rd and long and Baker called some delayed stunt where 15 just slammed into a brick wall of linemen in the middle of the formation. Perfect encapsulation of this defensive season.

That play happened multiple times - i laugh every time i see it.

1 - you're handcuffing your best dlineman with a BS stunt instead of letting him just eat.
2 - our stunts and delayed blitzes are some of the worst executed i see each week in college football. it's just bad. everything is telegraphed, robotic and SLOW

Advertisement
To a division two school. Whoopty ******* doo. This guy is TRASH too.

If you can’t see a drastic different level of play between the o and d I don’t know what to tell you. From rankings , statistics , eye test or team season averages being worse versus our d. It’s not even close.
Is the d great or good ? No, but the o is historically bad, it’s a stupid comparison.

Not necessarily defending Blake but how do you argue that Rousseau was misused when he finishes 2nd in sacks in the nation? I can agree he should have started earlier, but a guy on the dline that finishes in the top 2 in sacks seems to me is not being misused. And we already heard stories of how Garvin pretty much checked out this season. Can't blame that one on Blake.
It's truly incredible given the fact that Rosseau was legit taken out of countless amounts of sack opportunities based on design and scheme alone. If Rosseau was able to pin his ears back and get after the qb on obvious passing downs his sack total could have been unimaginable. I can't wait to see his highlight film from this year because I already know his sacks came from pinning his ears back and having 1 on 1 opportunities not dumb *** stunts or rushing 3 and having him play inside.

The best part was when the broadcasters were talking up Rousseau before a critical 3rd and long and Baker called some delayed stunt where 15 just slammed into a brick wall of linemen in the middle of the formation. Perfect encapsulation of this defensive season.

Saw that. Was infuriating. I was at the bar talking up Rousseau and explaining to a guy how they don't use him correctly and low and behold I had the exact example play out on the screen. The guy couldn't believe it.

Advertisement

45th in the country on 3rd down defense, facing the powerhouses of:

BCU, CMU, GT, DUKE, FIU, UNC

Baker sucks. Everyone is ignoring him because of Enos ineptitude.

45th in the country on 3rd down defense, facing the powerhouses of:

BCU, CMU, GT, DUKE, FIU, UNC

Baker sucks. Everyone is ignoring him because of Enos ineptitude.
You got a stat on 4th down also? Cause that was scary bad.

Advertisement
It's truly incredible given the fact that Rosseau was legit taken out of countless amounts of sack opportunities based on design and scheme alone. If Rosseau was able to pin his ears back and get after the qb on obvious passing downs his sack total could have been unimaginable. I can't wait to see his highlight film from this year because I already know his sacks came from pinning his ears back and having 1 on 1 opportunities not dumb *** stunts or rushing 3 and having him play inside.

The scheme is what it is. But to say he is misused with the sack production he has is nonsensical to me. Zone blitzes are common in most defenses. So Rousseau is not the only dline man that may drop back in coverage, but it seems to me he is sent to wreak havoc in the backfield more often than he goes back in coverage.

Advertisement
Back