Blackman, Tate, and Delaney

Dan Sileo JR

Band
Banned
SIAP, but wanted to bring forth this brief article by David Hale.

It's not that Florida State's rookie QB James Blackman has been bad in his first two starts, but he has looked inexperienced, and that has distinctly impacted the Seminoles' offense.

For one, Blackman has been laser focused on his favorite receiver, and when Auden Tate hasn't been open, things have gotten ugly. Blackman is 11-of-14 passing and averaging 13.2 yards per attempt when targeting Tate. On all other throws, he's completing less than 50 percent and averaging just 4.8 yards per pass.

"Auden has played our best," Jimbo Fisher said. "He had our best camp of anybody, so he definitely is our No. 1 guy, so I think that's part of it, too. I think as they get used to each other and get used to playing and how we call the game and the more that James can expand and do, I think all those things will factor in."

Despite his struggles elsewhere, James Blackman has been very good against the blitz.

When opponents have brought an extra pass-rusher, Blackman has been excellent. He has recognized the blitz, known where his hot read is and gotten rid of the ball quickly. The results -- 67 percent completions, 13.5 yards per attempt, no sacks -- are impressive.

But ask Blackman to throw into coverage or go through his progressions and the waters get muddier. When the opposition rushes just four (or fewer), Blackman completes 54.5 percent of his throws, averages less than 4 yards per pass and has been sacked nine times.

Still, this makes for an interesting matchup Saturday against Miami. Through three games, Miami ranks ninth among Power 5 defenses in blitz rate (36 percent of dropbacks) and has been slightly below average at pressuring the QB when not bringing an extra pass-rusher.

Tate's going to be key for the nole offense, and I assume Diaz is putting Delaney on him (I believe Ariz mentioned that as well on one of this week's podcast).

We'll probably make sure Delaney has plenty of safety help, but it's time for him to make that NFL check he came out here for.

Shutting down Tate+what will likely be a rainy game+Campbell (nole WR2) questionable with injury = things can get out of hand very quickly for that Nole passing game.

Advertisement
Does anyone know how Delaney did against fsu his last trip up there? Any video?

Haha this could get interesting considering Manny loves his cute little blitzes even when they aren't working. We have been best in nickel rushing just 4. Hopefully he notices that Blackman has a problem going through progressions when there are more players in coverage.

Advertisement
I am fine with the blitzing. Just mix it up and disguise it better.

It seems like Pinckney is the only that gets home on the blitzes. I’m not a fan of all the blitzing just rush four and play coverage.

I think disguising coverages will be more important than blitzing this kid excessively. If we get front 4 pressure in addition that's perfection and will make our blitzes much more effective as a tool rather than a strategy.

Advertisement
Diaz needs to take it easy on all the blitzing. Time for our dline to show what they can do.

The thing is, that's his thing. That was one of the questions about his overall philosophy. He wants constant pressure and that often means frequent blitzes. Looks great when it works, gives up big plays when it doesn't. Thought that was what many posters loved about him, wanted that aggression.

Seemed like on more than one occasion vs Duke all our blitzing did was make a hole for the QB to throw in to. The delayed blitz from the DB's/safeties kills me too, we seemingly never get to the QB.

Advertisement
It'd be nice if he went against tendencies and faked the blitz, and let the DL control the LOS.

Advertisement
[TWEET]916347093324791809[/TWEET]

Also this is funny
giphy.gif

I don't get why people are saying don't blitz. Every coach blitz different and also uses different coverages behind it. I want them to mix it up. Throw every thing at this kid, where he gets no time to kinda figure what is going on. Also blitz will increase the likelihood of him getting hit, after a few his eyes may drop. I just wanna win

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back