Blackman, Tate, and Delaney

Young passers are often more successful against the blitz because it simplifies their read. They're overwhelmed by playbook complexity, so when they finally know exactly what to do (hot route) they execute with confidence. Other side of the coin is, if he starts taking big hits, his confidence will plummet regardless. Diaz gonna Diaz, and I like our odds.

Advertisement
Sacks aren't only benefit of blitz. Forces a quick throw. Duke's Daniel Jones was 21-41 for 166 and a pick. I'll take that every time if it costs a couple of easy plays at midfield.

Advertisement
Why would we put Delaney on him as opposed to Young?

tumblr_m7qk5zRIDY1rrhe80o1_500.jpg

Advertisement
I seemed to remember when Ya'll ed that Doritos never blitzed

That's also because the three down linemen we had didn't try to get upfield. Instead, they held their ground, trying to two-gap, but when there's no runner, they look absolutely silly keeping the lineman locked without attempting to get by. The only guy we had trying to make a move was the Jack, and if the OL understands that, it's easy to gameplan against. If you don't send a blitzer shooting gaps, that defense would just keep getting pushed back and back. This line of thinking, even with a bend-don't-break mindset is useless if you're just bending and bending all the way to the end zone.

Some of the best d-lines combine the two philosophies ala Pete Carroll, but even he understood that in the college game, with limited practice time and reps, the best thing to do was to limit the thinking out there and to just attack. If you recruit LB and S well, then you have the horses to clean up any openings the runner may find.

Last edited:
I’ll take my chances with a true freshman against our blitzes. He might’ve did good against wake forest defense but they don’t have Pinckney, Quaterman & McCloud trying to knock your head off.

I am fine with the blitzing. Just mix it up and disguise it better.

Ya. Don't like it when the o linemen can see the blitzer from a mile away just waiting for it to get there. QB would have to drop a keg in the pocket for some of our blitzes to land

Advertisement
One of the big differences I've seen with Blackman is that due to his size, even getting the slightest grasp on him typically ends up as a sack. Other QB's may be able to spin off or stay upright long enough to throw the ball, but watching him against Wake it seemed like every time a defender got a finger on his jersey he was eating turf.

We need to play straight up and show that they can move the ball on the ground before bringing extra guys up. Jam their guys on the line and throw any rhythm Blackmon has off. Patrick doesn't scare me, Akers will do more damage than him. Let's make them show us what they can do and if they can't, the game is ours.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back