Billy Donovan next coaching stop...................MIami (Pure Speculation)

Da_Lucky_One

All ACC
This is pure speculation with no "sources" close to the situation but let's look at the trend happening in OKC right now. Paul George and Jerami Grant have been traded to start an obvious rebuild. The front office is taking calls regarding Russell Westbrook and he along with his agent are open to him being traded. The next question is.
What will Billy Donovan do?

He could coach the team through the rebuild which rarely happens, normally the coach gets fired sometime during the process. Billy could resign after Russell Westbrook gets traded before the season to create a market for himself for his next job, the question then becomes will it be in the NBA or does he return to college basketball.

Let's say he resigns from OKC in October and takes a job at the SEC network for one year. This immediately makes him the best available coach on the market and puts multiple coaches on the hot seat even if the seat is not warm. Donovan can take a year to look at conferences, rosters, pick potential assistant coaches and also target potential recruits if he wants to return to college. Granted this is all hypothetical but it could happen.

I should have said this in the beginning but most of you know this by now. I am a firm supporter of Coach Larranaga, Coach Caputo, Coach Fischer and Coach Courtney. I think Coach L is the best coach in Miami basketball history. Yes, he is under contract until 2023 (if I am not mistaken) and he is expected to finish out that contract. The only issue I have ever had with Coach L and his staff is their failure to use all 13 scholarships. With that being said, the reality is, like it or not, college basketball is a business until it involves paying that "student athletes". Then it is an amatuer athletic competition. Sure, yeah right.

The new standard for Miami basketball is 20 plus wins, compete for the ACC championship and make the NCAA tournament. Especially in the Larranaga era. Yes, last season was a disappointment but you do have to ask yourself, was that a one time occurrence or is this the start of a trend. I believe it is a one time occurrence but if Miami does not make the NCAA tournament in 2020 and Donovan is available, then that presents an interesting situation.

To pursue Donovan or not pursue Donovan, that is the question?

No smart AD would fire or ask Coach L to retire without contacting Billy Donovan's agent to gauge his interest in the Miami job first. Of course, this would not be an official conversation, just a hypothetical, if the Miami job was available, how interested would Billy be in the job. Of course, Billy would give the indirect direct answer, if the Miami job was availabe, I may be very interested or mildly interested or I have no interest. If Billy is very interested in Miami, then what becomes the next move.

I know by now, most people have stopped reading and have completely ruled this out but Billy Donovan is a big time coach with a big time name. Billy Donovan would create a different type of vibe around your program, like it or not. You have to think, after his run at OKC, he may be looking for a college job to close out his career but he is young enough to coach more than a decade at his last job. Billy is a big time recruiter in the state of Florida and nationally as he proved at the University of Florida during his time there. It would be an easy transition for most fans to accept if Coach L retired and Billy Donovan became the next head basketball coach at the University of Miami.

Yes, this is pure click bait until the next domino falls in OKC. Thank you for reading and let's keep an eye on OKC to see how the next domino falls. Most people expect Russell Westbrook to come to Miami (Heat) but Billy Donovan could also come to Miami (Hurricanes).

Again, thank you for reading and let me know what you think.

Advertisement
IF billy were to be fired from OKC, he would be scooped up by another NBA team or would land a high profile college job much bigger than Miami. Id say Louisville, Arizona, UCLA, etc.

Advertisement
IF billy were to be fired from OKC, he would be scooped up by another NBA team or would land a high profile college job much bigger than Miami. Id say Louisville, Arizona, UCLA, etc.

Not absolutely certain on the NBA front as I think he's now viewed as kinda average at best but absolutely on the college front. There would be a bidding war by the likes of the schools you mentioned.

No mention of recruiting whille Miami and Coach L under serious investigation that went absolutely nowhere... Of course they didn't have 13 players...
This isn't Kentucky, Kansas, or Duke where you get away with that crap...

Advertisement
Billy D's salary at OKC is $3.9 mil per year. L is making $1.3 mil per year.

I wasn't a math major, but the chances of Billy D becoming the next HC at UM is about the same as Mr. Blutarsky's GPA.

Advertisement
Billy Donovan wants to coach at a place that will give him the "Resources" to recruit and win at a high level. L does more with less, that's been his MO throughout his career, which is WHY he was such a great fit for Miami He can get the most out of guys who aren't surefire NBA stars. Donovan, if he even comes back to the college ranks will go to a traditional basketball power. I could see him ending up at Arizona, especially if Miller continues to underachieve.

Billy D's salary at OKC is $3.9 mil per year. L is making $1.3 mil per year.

I wasn't a math major, but the chances of Billy D becoming the next HC at UM is about the same as Mr. Blutarsky's GPA.

Where did you get that number?

Please see the filing below. Keep in mind, this isn't the most recent one. This is from 2016, they're behind.

Advertisement
Zero & I mean zero percent chance. Billy Donavan can basically name his job in the NCAA.

This is pure speculation with no "sources" close to the situation but let's look at the trend happening in OKC right now. Paul George and Jerami Grant have been traded to start an obvious rebuild. The front office is taking calls regarding Russell Westbrook and he along with his agent are open to him being traded. The next question is.
What will Billy Donovan do?

He could coach the team through the rebuild which rarely happens, normally the coach gets fired sometime during the process. Billy could resign after Russell Westbrook gets traded before the season to create a market for himself for his next job, the question then becomes will it be in the NBA or does he return to college basketball.

Let's say he resigns from OKC in October and takes a job at the SEC network for one year. This immediately makes him the best available coach on the market and puts multiple coaches on the hot seat even if the seat is not warm. Donovan can take a year to look at conferences, rosters, pick potential assistant coaches and also target potential recruits if he wants to return to college. Granted this is all hypothetical but it could happen.

I should have said this in the beginning but most of you know this by now. I am a firm supporter of Coach Larranaga, Coach Caputo, Coach Fischer and Coach Courtney. I think Coach L is the best coach in Miami basketball history. Yes, he is under contract until 2023 (if I am not mistaken) and he is expected to finish out that contract. The only issue I have ever had with Coach L and his staff is their failure to use all 13 scholarships. With that being said, the reality is, like it or not, college basketball is a business until it involves paying that "student athletes". Then it is an amatuer athletic competition. Sure, yeah right.

The new standard for Miami basketball is 20 plus wins, compete for the ACC championship and make the NCAA tournament. Especially in the Larranaga era. Yes, last season was a disappointment but you do have to ask yourself, was that a one time occurrence or is this the start of a trend. I believe it is a one time occurrence but if Miami does not make the NCAA tournament in 2020 and Donovan is available, then that presents an interesting situation.

To pursue Donovan or not pursue Donovan, that is the question?

No smart AD would fire or ask Coach L to retire without contacting Billy Donovan's agent to gauge his interest in the Miami job first. Of course, this would not be an official conversation, just a hypothetical, if the Miami job was available, how interested would Billy be in the job. Of course, Billy would give the indirect direct answer, if the Miami job was availabe, I may be very interested or mildly interested or I have no interest. If Billy is very interested in Miami, then what becomes the next move.

I know by now, most people have stopped reading and have completely ruled this out but Billy Donovan is a big time coach with a big time name. Billy Donovan would create a different type of vibe around your program, like it or not. You have to think, after his run at OKC, he may be looking for a college job to close out his career but he is young enough to coach more than a decade at his last job. Billy is a big time recruiter in the state of Florida and nationally as he proved at the University of Florida during his time there. It would be an easy transition for most fans to accept if Coach L retired and Billy Donovan became the next head basketball coach at the University of Miami.

Yes, this is pure click bait until the next domino falls in OKC. Thank you for reading and let's keep an eye on OKC to see how the next domino falls. Most people expect Russell Westbrook to come to Miami (Heat) but Billy Donovan could also come to Miami (Hurricanes).

Again, thank you for reading and let me know what you think.
C’mon man 👨

Advertisement
Back