Biggest recruiting needs

Advertisement
If Kevin Olsen gives me a John O'Korn type year 'll be stoked.

RB- (In response to earlier posts) Can't see why this would be a position of concern. If/ when Duke goes pro next year, we have a pretty dope stable right now Of Edwards (who is gonna blow up this year IMO), Yearby, Williams, Cronkrite, and please don't forget Walter Tucker. We straight.

OL- With the ever-evolving freaks developing throughout the country at DE, mean athletic lineman are always at a premium. Feder is a giant, Brown seems like a pretty solid guard, and not too sure about the Mahoney kid just yet. Intrigued to see how their senior years' pan out. I think 4/5 is a good number. At least 1 more Tackle for sure.

DT- Summed up perfectly by Hstokes on Page 1. Simple math really. Ryan Fines can't be it.

2015 DT Depth IMO

DT/3-4 DE
  1. Calvin Heurtelou SR
  2. Jelani Hamilton SR
  3. Anthony Moten SO

NT
  1. Michael Wyche SR
  2. Earl Moore SR
  3. Courtel Jenkins RFR

CB- This years class has too much talent to not tap into. I agree with the number 3. I wouldn't even begin to guess who, but there is solid talent in the tri-county area.

Punter?

Looking at what could be returning on defense for the 2015 season, we should finally see a season that a true freshman doesn't walk into the two deep simply because no one is on the roster.

2011 true freshman in the 2 deep on defense
  1. Denzel Perryman
  2. Gionni Paul
  3. Anthony Chickillo
  4. Olsen Pierre
  5. Thomas Finnie

2012 true freshman in the 2 deep on defense
  1. Raphael Kirby
  2. Rayshawn Jenkins
  3. Deon Bush
  4. Tracy Howard
  5. Antonio Crawford
  6. Jelani Hamilton
  7. Earl Moore
  8. Dequan Ivery
  9. Tyriq McCord

2013 true freshman in the 2 deep on defense
  1. Artie Burns
  2. Al-Quadin Muhammad
  3. Alex Figueroa

Possible 2015 two deep on defense
JACK/ WDE
  1. Al-Quadin Muhammad JR
  2. Chad Thomas SO
DT/3-4 DE
  1. Calvin Heurtelou SR
  2. Anthony Moten SO
NT
  1. Michael Wyche SR
  2. Earl Moore SR
SDE
  1. Ufomba Kamalu RSR
  2. Jelani Hamilton SR (If the staff does not land a JUCO SDE, I think Hamilton moves back to SDE full time)
WLB
  1. Raphael Kirby SR
  2. Jermaine Grace JR
MLB
  1. JaWand Blue RJR
  2. Juwon Young SO
SLB
  1. Tyriq McCord SR
  2. Alex Figueroa JR
CB
  1. Artie Burns JR
  2. Nate Dortch RJR
CB
  1. Antonio Crawford SR
  2. Corn Elder JR
FS
  1. Deon Bush SR
  2. Dallas Crawford RSR
SS
  1. Jamal Carter JR
  2. Rayshawn Jenkins SR

Earl Moore, JaWand Blue, and Nate Dortch all make me nervous seeing them in the two deep, but at least we have bodies now. So sure there are some major needs on defense in terms of continuing to bring in and upgrade talent, but no one will be needed right away. The 2015 defensive class will be the first class since Al arrived, to not be thrown into the fire before they have been properly developed.

Terrell's Pryor
Matt Barkley
Teddy Bridgewater
Robert Griffin III
Braxton Miller
Tom Savage
All started as true freshman and did fine. The ACC conference sucks. So, therefore Miami SHOULD go 9-3 or 10-2. If not, the coaching staff sucks

This just highlights the utter improbability of your hope/prediction. These are some of the greatest true freshman qb performances - which is the rare exception. And how did those teams w/ true freshman do?

MB - 9-4 win in Emerald Bowl
TB - 7-6 lost to NC State in Belk Bowl
BM- 6-7 lost in Gator Bowl
RGIII - 4-8
TS - 9-4 win in St Pete Bowl

Terrelle Pryor was the only one to lead his team to a BCS bowl. OSU lost to Texas in the Fiesta Bowl, and finished 10-3. But OSU had the 7th best scoring defense in the country. We're hoping to have a top 7 defense in the ACC.

Last edited:
Anyone else think Duke going pro isn't set in stone?

If we have a solid season with Olsen under center, proving that we have a realistic chance at a NC in 2015 behind Olsen (and potentially a Heisman for Duke), I think he stays to finish the job.

That kid is a true Cane, he came here to bring the U back. I don't think he'd leave if we're close, and he seems like the type of kid that wants his degree. With that said, single digit wins and not even an ACC title game appearance this year and I think he's gone.

"[R]ealistic chance" at a national championship in 2015? You can't be serious. We are nowhere in the discussion of a national championship in the next two years. It's a laughable homer proposition.

Even assuming Olsen has a "solid season" - however you define "solid" - we need far more than him being solid to "prov[e]" that we have a remote chance at a national title, much less a "realistic chance." Seriously, we are not on the radar for a national title in the next two seasons. ****, we are hoping that our defense improves to get in the top 50.

The few legitimate teams we've played in the last 3 years have completely embarrassed us.

I'm not saying if Olsen has a solid season. Olsen can have a solid season and we could still suck. Read what I wrote. I'm saying if we, the Miami Hurricanes as a whole, have a solid season with Olsen under center, maybe Duke stays because we could make a run.

Want my definition of "solid"? Something along the lines of 10-2 and playing for the ACC championship with our young quarterback showing some poise and our defense showing some toughness. Something that isn't beyond the realm of possibility whatsoever seeing as we were 9-3 last year, finished second in the Coastal, and expect improvement this year. Something that would prove that maybe, just maybe, we've got a shot at a title the following year. That's my definition of solid.

It's great that you're so confident about our slim national title chances over the next two years. I'm sure Auburn felt the same way coming off their 3-9 season a year before playing in the national championship game.

Auburn dumped Chizik for Malzahn who is in the discussion of top 5 coaches in the country. Is Golden in that discussion?

Advertisement
"[R]ealistic chance" at a national championship in 2015? You can't be serious. We are nowhere in the discussion of a national championship in the next two years. It's a laughable homer proposition.

Even assuming Olsen has a "solid season" - however you define "solid" - we need far more than him being solid to "prov[e]" that we have a remote chance at a national title, much less a "realistic chance." Seriously, we are not on the radar for a national title in the next two seasons. ****, we are hoping that our defense improves to get in the top 50.

The few legitimate teams we've played in the last 3 years have completely embarrassed us.

I'm not saying if Olsen has a solid season. Olsen can have a solid season and we could still suck. Read what I wrote. I'm saying if we, the Miami Hurricanes as a whole, have a solid season with Olsen under center, maybe Duke stays because we could make a run.

Want my definition of "solid"? Something along the lines of 10-2 and playing for the ACC championship with our young quarterback showing some poise and our defense showing some toughness. Something that isn't beyond the realm of possibility whatsoever seeing as we were 9-3 last year, finished second in the Coastal, and expect improvement this year. Something that would prove that maybe, just maybe, we've got a shot at a title the following year. That's my definition of solid.

It's great that you're so confident about our slim national title chances over the next two years. I'm sure Auburn felt the same way coming off their 3-9 season a year before playing in the national championship game.

Auburn dumped Chizik for Malzahn who is in the discussion of top 5 coaches in the country. Is Golden in that discussion?

And let's be real. Outliers do not add any value to this argument. The vast majority of mediocre or ****** teams do not suddenly reverse course and play in the National Title Game.

Advertisement
Back