Biggest position group that needs to step up

brock

All-American
No it’s not the dbs… it’s actually the edge rusher positions. We are currently not getting enough of a pass rush. The interior guys are pulling their weight, linebackers are playing well and the dbs overall have been good outside a few lapses at cb. But I’m woefully underwhelmed with the edge rusher play of players not named Akeem mesidor

I know We were spoiled there with the likes of Rousseau, Philips , garvin, Trent Harris, roche and a few others over the last few years but we got to get back to being a force at that position

Advertisement
Steele needs to be a bit more aggressive as it comes to the blitz if we can get pressure with 4 or 5. Hoping he was holding some of those blitz packages for this weeks game but we'll see. Run defense has been excellent but a combo of poor pass rush & corners struggling in 1 on 1 on the boundaries is a bad recipe for pass happy teams. Thankfully Jimbos squad isn't too dynamic through the air.

Well....one thing is for certain....we will all get to see what our OFF and DEF playbooks have to offer on Saturday.

If we don't win Saturday, I might take a CIS break until about Thursday of next week...because this place is going to sound like a woman in labor with no meds pushing out a 10lb baby

Advertisement
No it’s not the dbs… it’s actually the edge rusher positions. We are currently not getting enough of a pass rush. The interior guys are pulling their weight, linebackers are playing well and the dbs overall have been good outside a few lapses at cb. But I’m woefully underwhelmed with the edge rusher play of players not named Akeem mesidor

I know We were spoiled there with the likes of Rousseau, Philips , garvin, Trent Harris, roche and a few others over the last few years but we got to get back to being a force at that position

Been saying it. I see zero elite traits on the d-line currently. No one beats their man 1v1 from what I have seen.

Jackson is a monster at DT but still young and raw.

LT flashes but his big play against southern miss was just a missed assignment from them and he wasn’t blocked.

DE I just haven’t seen much at all so far.

We are going to have to blitz more I think but then that leaves us exposed. Steele is a bend don’t break defense. He isn’t going to send blitzes the way Mandy did and get gashed.

Advertisement
Been saying it. I see zero elite traits on the d-line currently. No one beats their man 1v1 from what I have seen.

LT flashes but his big play against southern miss was just a missed assignment from them and he wasn’t blocked.

We are going to have to blitz more I think but then that leaves us exposed. Steele is a bend don’t break defense. He isn’t going to send blitzes the way Mandy did and get gashed.
Hopefully if we blitz it’s disguised & with the right guys. Mostly Gilbert Frierson.

More discipline is what needs to be done. Perfect play calls are negated by people rushing in too far. Kelly did it first game, Thomas Davis last game. When we had Diaz it was design for everyone to just mindlessly chase the ball. Now you have spots you need to get to. The OL was pretty poor in the first half on rewatch, particularly in pass pro. Probably why TVD was kinda seeing ghost and being hesitant with the ball. Better wake up. I know Mirabal and Mario lighting into their *** this week. Southern Miss was faking pressure and getting home with 4 up our middle even.

Advertisement
The entire group has been giving up the edge way too much. They are getting caught inside way too much. Especially Agude. How many times have you seen Harvey having to pursue the QB all the way from the opposite side... Better containment would have resulted in at least 2 or 3 more sacks. The only time they should bull rush to the inside is if there is a stunt or they have backside support.

Time to let Kelly and Thomas Davis get more meaningful looks..

The starters are always close to getting the sack, but just can not finish for some reason.
When they get in they lose contain. Agude has to play because he pressures the QB a lot and keeps contain.

Advertisement
The entire group has been giving up the edge way too much. They are getting caught inside way too much. Especially Agude. How many times have you seen Harvey having to pursue the QB all the way from the opposite side... Better containment would have resulted in at least 2 or 3 more sacks. The only time they should bull rush to the inside is if there is a stunt or they have backside support.
Not Agude. He does his job.

Steele's philosophy is not bend but don't break. He is just giving his defense the best chance to succeed given the limitations we have at DE, LB and CB. Steele has a ton of blitzes in his playbook and I would expect him to break them out Saturday.

Part of me thinks bend but don’t break works against this offense in particular. Haynes King is prone to make mistakes, so making him effectively drive down the field gives us more opportunities to take the ball. Limit the big explosive plays, and let’s see what happens.

Don’t know much, but that makes sense to me.

Advertisement
Back