Biggest position group that needs to step up

Advertisement
Pressure off the edge issues will not lose us any games. Might not win them either like in years past but it's not a concern. Just a reality that we need to still improve there. Regardless, DL is upper tier when compared to other teams. WR & LB is a different story. They will lose us a few games..

Agude, Harvey, and Chantz aren’t it. Agude is disruptive but is a step too slow to make the play. If we had a big time DE opposite of agude it would be great but we’ve got major jags on the other edge. Going to kill us all year

Part of me thinks bend but don’t break works against this offense in particular. Haynes King is prone to make mistakes, so making him effectively drive down the field gives us more opportunities to take the ball. Limit the big explosive plays, and let’s see what happens.

Don’t know much, but that makes sense to me.
Exactly, you make this guy run 7-8 plays or more every series and increase the chances he makes mistakes.

Pressure off the edge issues will not lose us any games. Might not win them either like in years past but it's not a concern. Just a reality that we need to still improve there. Regardless, DL is upper tier when compared to other teams. WR & LB is a different story. They will lose us a few games..
The LB has been good though. We have one of the best rush defenses so far. They are filling the right gaps. Maybe they are just not as bad as they looked under Diaz. Should know more after playing the next 3 games.

Advertisement
Biggest position group that needs to step up?

everyone GIF

We knew going into season that the dline would be better against the run but they didnt have that true edge rusher to get to QB. They are playing exactly how we expected, unless the young kid breaks out there is no one who is going to get to QB and be a terror off the edge..

Advertisement
No it’s not the dbs… it’s actually the edge rusher positions. We are currently not getting enough of a pass rush. The interior guys are pulling their weight, linebackers are playing well and the dbs overall have been good outside a few lapses at cb. But I’m woefully underwhelmed with the edge rusher play of players not named Akeem mesidor

I know We were spoiled there with the likes of Rousseau, Philips , garvin, Trent Harris, roche and a few others over the last few years but we got to get back to being a force at that position

Our pass rush is average no matter who is in the game. The rotation of guys was too much really although they really had the energy advantage in the 4th. If this has been a trial run to see who gets more minutes I don't think anyone has outshined the others. Still hoping Mesidor is that dude but I need to see him against good comp. A lot of our big DLine plays where from bad OL play on the other side. LTs TFL on the RB was a missed assignment and he was left unblocked. His sack was a good play but it was a lucky play. The QB went to the worst part of the pocket and LTs double team was pushing him that way.

The issue I see is we don't have anyone that's really dynamic, who can beat dudes right off the snap. Its a bull rush or a beat around the edge rush every time. I do like when they put some of these DTs on the edge like they did with Elijah this past week, would like to see more of that. We better be holding back the blitzes on purpose or something cuz when we play good teams we are going to need them.

Bownlee exposed a weakness of ours and that's size and physicality at corner. He forced us to take Malik out real quick like and could out jump and our body all of our DBs. I see no reason why a good passing attack especially one with physical WRs wouldn't carve us up.

The biggest issue I see is the OL. Its pretty evident they don't understand the scheme. Almost every pressure or sack of TVD last week was from a guy who wasn't blocked or was one armed blocked by a guy who was looking the other way. You can tell the OL is not even looking around pre-snap for defensive alignments and are in their heads thinking. If they put a rusher far outside chances are a guard is gonna let some dude thru unblocked because he thinks the tackle has got him not seeing the guy on the outside. Multiple guys did this last week. TVD appears rattled to me as well. He is short arming throws and missing wide open reads. We saw this from him last year as well. If he doesn't trust the line he isn't the same. They had to take him out because of this and they likely ran the ball much more because of this. Good thing is running the ball worked against TAMU last week. I just really hope we can run the ball because I have no confidence in our pass protection.

Steele needs to be a bit more aggressive as it comes to the blitz if we can get pressure with 4 or 5. Hoping he was holding some of those blitz packages for this weeks game but we'll see. Run defense has been excellent but a combo of poor pass rush & corners struggling in 1 on 1 on the boundaries is a bad recipe for pass happy teams. Thankfully Jimbos squad isn't too dynamic through the air.
Came here to say the same. I really want to see more blitzing to manufacture pressure. Get some hands on WR at the line and help the CBs out by speeding the QB's process up.

The LB has been good though. We have one of the best rush defenses so far. They are filling the right gaps. Maybe they are just not as bad as they looked under Diaz. Should know more after playing the next 3 games.
Just for reference, a bad SC State team held Bethune to less points and yards than Miami did. We have looked much better against the run but the red Flaggs are still there. I think we will struggle against a real offense. JMO

Advertisement
Thomas Davis is the most explosive pass rusher, problem he is small not good in run game.

Kelly is most talented all around DE, future NFL guy, but young and does give up contain.

Agude can get pressure, but he is too stiff and upright the bend the edge.

Harvey is athletic, but seemingly can't finish.

Mesidor is very good and technical, but isn't the true long explosive body type at edge.

Chantz is a good athlete, but doesn't bend well and is too stiff. Straight line athlete.

Roberts is a solid jumbo athlete, he has a little flexibility to his game, but lacks true edge explosiveness.

Safeties.

We have shown a huge vulnerability over the middle in those LBer drop zones. Crossers seams and wr sitting in the voids are an issue.

The fix to this is obviously better LBer play. The reality is that we lack the developed talent to make that impact this week. We need 0&24 in particular to play out of their minds and shrink the deep part of that 8-15 yard downfield void the LBers allow.

Just for reference, a bad SC State team held Bethune to less points and yards than Miami did. We have looked much better against the run but the red Flaggs are still there. I think we will struggle against a real offense. JMO
Using who people played vs other teams is not always indicative. I judge our team based on what they need to do on each play. With the transfer portal, alot of lower level teams have D1, power 5 level talent. Simply putting a name on a team and saying you should holf them to this amount of points is not a good way to look at things. App St got lit up by UNC, Texas A&M could not move the ball against them at home. Our LBs are playing the run very well by being where they need to be. Our DTs are holding the point of attack. I have seen us get gashed for years against teams of the same caliber we played so far. Toledo, Central Michigan, said App St etc. Btw by what metric are u calling SC St a bad team? Teams are now bringing in 15, 20 more D1 level players in 1 offseason. You don't know.

Advertisement
The LBers have been good??...In what world??

The LBers have been good??...In what world??
Yes they have been good filling the gaps and defending the run. That's their main job. The team gave up some runs to the QB against Bethune on poor containment and that wheel route miscommunication TD v Bethune. Overall they have played well otherwise.

Been saying it. I see zero elite traits on the d-line currently. No one beats their man 1v1 from what I have seen.

Jackson is a monster at DT but still young and raw.

LT flashes but his big play against southern miss was just a missed assignment from them and he wasn’t blocked.

DE I just haven’t seen much at all so far.

We are going to have to blitz more I think but then that leaves us exposed. Steele is a bend don’t break defense. He isn’t going to send blitzes the way Mandy did and get gashed.
But But everyone said it could possibly be the best DL in the nation

Advertisement
Back