Biggest NIL Fear

Screenshot_20220626-191212.jpg

16 deals for Khamauri Rogers since January. The Washington brothers will be fine once they enroll. This is the real reason we have an advantage in NIL, real metropolitan area with true opportunities. Ruiz is just a big fish, but there are tons of others down here that want our players repping them. And why we dont need an illegal collective like the SEC schools.

Advertisement
Just a heads up for the people who might not have known: The best players have been getting stuff that nobody else gets for decades. The really good players have always been getting free cars and money while the jags have been lucky to get a free meal. When I was at UCF, Daunte Culpepper drove a brand new Lincoln Navigator. I highly doubt a single other player on that roster was driving a free luxury car. I'm sure there's some occasional jealousy but some players making money while others don't is hardly a new issue.

Note: I'm not saying the Washington brothers aren't worthy of getting NIL money. They definitely are, it's more just for the people who think locker rooms are going to fall apart when one guy gets more than another.

If I wasnt aware of how the rules work and how it is different state to state and how basically UM has nothing to do with it..I would feel a little salty just like him. Where is my kids check? I got a top 50 kid too. Where is his money? Its not ignorant to be concerned. He just needed someone to inform him to relax. Nobody is going to short change his kids. Especially Robby. No harm, no foul here.

He’s the father of the Washington brothers who are committed. He’s wondering where their money is obviously after seeing the Rashada reports.
He's wondering where his money is.

Advertisement
View attachment 193111
16 deals for Khamauri Rogers since January. The Washington brothers will be fine once they enroll. This is the real reason we have an advantage in NIL, real metropolitan area with true opportunities. Ruiz is just a big fish, but there are tons of others down here that want our players repping them. And why we dont need an illegal collective like the SEC schools.
I'm glad you shared this. I saw this tweet the other day and I wanted to screen shot it for everyone who says "Ruiz is the only one paying NIL for Miami" and for the people who think playing in a big market doesn't mean extra opportunities to sell your image.

Correct. And before people argue that these kids are only 18-19 years old and not the same as pro athletes in their maturity, lets remember that tennis, gold, soccer and hockey players and deal with contracts and endorsements beginning at a much younger age than 18.
As you noted, schools will adjust. And so will the players.

Very smart response in highlighting the role of money and endorsements for younger athletes in other sports.

And before people start talking about how “all this money will ruin these young kids”, that can happen at any age from 15 to someone in their 30s.

There are always going to be situations where people don’t manage their financial situation well. That’s just human nature - and as you have noted, these won’t be the first athletes to get money at a young age. Far from it.

I see this whole NIL thing turning into the fuel of the old NFL rookie contracts where veteran players complained that someone just in the league is making ridiculous money and entitlement without earning it. You are going to start seeing veteran players and early commitments turn on these high school players. You will see these recruits holding out till the very end of signing period or not signing at all with a school. This whole NIL is a mess and there should have been a cap set by the ncaa before crap hitting the fan. Maybe something of a tiered system like freshman can only make lets say $200k and jr yesr and above $1 million. Maybe legislation should have stated you can't sign an NIl until after freshman year

Now here is a question. Is the irs going to treat these NIL deals like professional athletes contracts and have to pay taxes in each city they play a game in, endorsement is at city where these athletes are making money off their NIl
To your last question I believe the answer is no, but I am not a tax expert. The reason being that this is endorsement money and not salary. My understanding with pro athletes is that the salaries are taxed in every state in which they play as you noted, but not the endorsement money.

They deserve to get paid for what their worth, but I still thinks there will eventually be kids holding out of spring practice while they negotiate new deals and all that.

Advertisement
Yea the old system was working out really well for us the last 20 years.

The system wasn't the problem the last 15 and change years, but instead an investment in everything on our part compounded by bad coaching hires.

Guess what, when we turned the college football world upside down, those same schools that have been at the top were spending more than we were on everything. We hired the right guys and that's that.

The system wasn't causing us to lose to all those teams we lost to, but the coaching hires were. We out recruited them all in conference on paper, besides FSU and Clemson here and there, UNC maybe a time or two, etc. We weren't getting anything out of what little investment we were putting in.

The bigs always out spent us. Now, who knows, we'll see. Mario likely would've won here with or without NIL.

Sorry to single you out, and not to personally insult you, but this is a facile overreaction.
This is the first small instance of thousanda that are happening all throughout the country in every locker room

This is a small issue, we agree there.

I’m saying it’s however showing what college football is becoming and I think it’s clear to see the rabbit hole it’s going down

Just a heads up for the people who might not have known: The best players have been getting stuff that nobody else gets for decades. The really good players have always been getting free cars and money while the jags have been lucky to get a free meal. When I was at UCF, Daunte Culpepper drove a brand new Lincoln Navigator. I highly doubt a single other player on that roster was driving a free luxury car. I'm sure there's some occasional jealousy but some players making money while others don't is hardly a new issue.

Note: I'm not saying the Washington brothers aren't worthy of getting NIL money. They definitely are, it's more just for the people who think locker rooms are going to fall apart when one guy gets more than another.
During the Erickson years, a lot of our guys would coincidentally be driving the same cars that were in certain popular local showrooms..

The system wasn't the problem the last 15 and change years, but instead an investment in everything on our part compounded by bad coaching hires.

Guess what, when we turned the college football world upside down, those same schools that have been at the top were spending more than we were on everything. We hired the right guys and that's that.

The system wasn't causing us to lose to all those teams we lost to, but the coaching hires were. We out recruited them all in conference on paper, besides FSU and Clemson here and there, UNC maybe a time or two, etc. We weren't getting anything out of what little investment we were putting in.

The bigs always out spent us. Now, who knows, we'll see. Mario likely would've won here with or without NIL.
Sure. But guys like Rashada? Some of the other household name blue chippers? I don't know.

Advertisement
I see this whole NIL thing turning into the fuel of the old NFL rookie contracts where veteran players complained that someone just in the league is making ridiculous money and entitlement without earning it. You are going to start seeing veteran players and early commitments turn on these high school players. You will see these recruits holding out till the very end of signing period or not signing at all with a school. This whole NIL is a mess and there should have been a cap set by the ncaa before crap hitting the fan. Maybe something of a tiered system like freshman can only make lets say $200k and jr yesr and above $1 million. Maybe legislation should have stated you can't sign an NIl until after freshman year

Now here is a question. Is the irs going to treat these NIL deals like professional athletes contracts and have to pay taxes in each city they play a game in, endorsement is at city where these athletes are making money off their NIl
On the question of being paid per their games location I am not a lawyer but I would safely venture that the answer is no. The NIL is for "Name, Image, and Likeness", particularly how Miami is going about it. The only gray area is incentives, tied to performance in game. But I still think the response is no.

I've ventured elsewhere that NIL salaries could eventually be brought under control through state or national level legislation. All that would need to be done is a version of a maximum wage law targeted at all college students, taxing any earning above 5x the earnings of the average college student at 100%.

Advertisement
Sure. But guys like Rashada? Some of the other household name blue chippers? I don't know.

I hear you and I can't say one way or another with any certainty in either direction.

Mario though, he wasn't my first pick (I'm man enough to admit that he was the right pick at this time to get us moving in the right direction), but he's youthful, energetic, speaks emphatically about his vision, is tireless and connects.

We're in a talent rich area. There's a serious case to be made that it's the richest recruiting grounds in the country. Due to who and what he is, he would've gotten his. It might not have been enough to turn it overnight, but he'd get there. National championship, maybe half a decade or even more down the road as things existed prior to NIL.

His staff, one of the finest in the land. Start showing results, not just in college but the draft as well, and some of those guys taking 309k bags in the SEC turn a cold shoulder and pick us. They see the big picture, put in for the home team who everyone is suddenly excited about again, but more importantly is getting kids drafted.

Then the national recruits see it, come feed off the energy of events like this last weekend and we've got skin in the game for anyone.

So no NIL, it could be the same. Rashad who you mention turned down more money. Why? Look above, there's your answer. If we can be competitive with NIL and the above is true, maybe we're building a championship faster. Make no mistake, we did it before and we weren't competitive besides we had guys who could sell dreams. Ultimately they could back those dreams up with results.

Yep. We were disruptive to the CFB of the time, but not by outspending the dominant programs. Instead we out innovated them and fully tapped into the South Florida pipeline of talent.

They deserve to get paid for what their worth, but I still thinks there will eventually be kids holding out of spring practice while they negotiate new deals and all that.
Or even worse, holding out at the start of the season. Just as you used to see in the NFL before free agency. I remember one season opener for the Dolphins in 1991 where they had around a dozen players out for their game against the Bills due to contract holdouts.

Advertisement
Back