Bigger coaching failure; Mario or Freeman

AtlAtty

Recruit
Maude
My good friend who is a ND fan and I have been having a debate all day about which coach showed greater ineptitude in coaching and math at the end of a game.
Freeman apparently can’t do arithmetic up to 11, and Mario can’t subtract the play clock from the game clock.

My position is that Mario was the bigger failure because UM had the win and just had to kneel, whereas OSU still had to score and barely scored on that last play.
Of course Tech still had to go 70+ yards even after the fumble in a matter of 26 seconds.

Ultimately they may be tied, not just as bad coaches, but (and I hate to write this because it is mean), as stupid people. I know smart people can make stupid decisions, we all do at some point whether smart or not. But in every profession, there are certain things that should happen with very, very little thought. In my profession this is like not having an illegal confession thrown out because you weren’t familiar with the Miranda case. Meaning, that what Mario and Freeman did respectively is akin to legal malpractice.
I am just not convinced that either of them have an IQ above 100, and possibly significantly lower. Anything under 80 is considered “special needs“ and that maybe what both ND and UM have as head coaches. Which presents its own problem because if special needs is considered a handicap, it will a lot more financially challenging to fire a handicapped coach (which is why you don’t hire a special needs coach in the first place).

So I see only 1 of 2 possibilities for why the mistake was made by UM at the end of the game. 1. Our coach is mentally challenged, 2. Our coach gets so nervous in important moments that his brain turns off. But in either case, it is really bad for UM to have this person leading the football program.

Advertisement
It’s not just Corch mario
It’s the entire corching staff
And TVD and Lee and the rest
Not one of them no what the **** to do!!!!

Lack of game situation awareness to the extreme

Stupid program
Stupid team

Advertisement
Mario by a mile. It’s not close. It’s the dumbest coaching decision in CFB history. Even worse than his last one. IIRC in 2018 he couldn’t have run the clock out to 0:00, just very very close or a run around on 4th down to close it out. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong on that.

Freeman played two downs with 10, correct?

I’ll go with Freeman because playing with 11 while attempting to stop an offense knowing 100% you are down a man is worse than losing track of the fact you can kneel to win.

Chip Kelly and Nick Saban did the same thing yesterday. They ran plays vs kneeling when not needing to.

For those of who (I maybe in that camp) who say Mario, and that it is the dumbest coaching decision in CFB history, @NC_Canes_11, then does that mean Mario is mentally challenged? A smart person cannot possibly do the dumbest thing in history.

So moving froward do we accept that we have a dummy as a head coach but we will cheer and support nonetheless?

Advertisement
My good friend who is a ND fan and I have been having a debate all day about which coach showed greater ineptitude in coaching and math at the end of a game.
Freeman apparently can’t do arithmetic up to 11, and Mario can’t subtract the play clock from the game clock.

My position is that Mario was the bigger failure because UM had the win and just had to kneel, whereas OSU still had to score and barely scored on that last play.
Of course Tech still had to go 70+ yards even after the fumble in a matter of 26 seconds.

Ultimately they may be tied, not just as bad coaches, but (and I hate to write this because it is mean), as stupid people. I know smart people can make stupid decisions, we all do at some point whether smart or not. But in every profession, there are certain things that should happen with very, very little thought. In my profession this is like not having an illegal confession thrown out because you weren’t familiar with the Miranda case. Meaning, that what Mario and Freeman did respectively is akin to legal malpractice.
I am just not convinced that either of them have an IQ above 100, and possibly significantly lower. Anything under 80 is considered “special needs“ and that maybe what both ND and UM have as head coaches. Which presents its own problem because if special needs is considered a handicap, it will a lot more financially challenging to fire a handicapped coach (which is why you don’t hire a special needs coach in the first place).

So I see only 1 of 2 possibilities for why the mistake was made by UM at the end of the game. 1. Our coach is mentally challenged, 2. Our coach gets so nervous in important moments that his brain turns off. But in either case, it is really bad for UM to have this person leading the football program.

Mario's situation was worse as this was his call whereas one could argue that not having enough or the right players on the field is on the coordinators or even the positional coaches as the head man has many things going on during game and they may not have time to count players.

Interestingly enough, I see alot coaches not do the "Victory" formation when they have the game won and I always wondered what if they needlessly fumbled the ball. In typical Cane fashion it was our coach who fugged around and found out.

Last edited:
With Mario they were on offense and not in a hurry; there was plenty of time for him (or anyone) to make the decision to kneel w/o any pressure. ND was on defense with OSU controlling the pace of play and pushing it, so any decision had to be made quickly. Both dumb decisions, but Mario gets the edge since Freeman was under the gun.

Mario by a mile. It’s not close. It’s the dumbest coaching decision in CFB history. Even worse than his last one. IIRC in 2018 he couldn’t have run the clock out to 0:00, just very very close or a run around on 4th down to close it out. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong on that.
You'd think this Bucket Head MFer would've learned.....
F741JU3WIAAx754.jpeg

Advertisement
If in a few years Freeman comes back and makes the same exact mistake then it can be a discussion.

Advertisement
ND has had a very tough schedule. We haven’t played anyone currently in the Top 25 and beat a bunch of cupcakes and lost to the worst team in the acc.

no one has failed more than Mario from those hired last year.

Unfortunately, Mario claims the title for being most asleep at the wheel. Being kind in not wanting to reference dumb, stupid or to question IQ - at least football version. My concern is his willingness to take advice or input from staff & support folks. With the army of folks around him - on the sidelines & in the box - hard imaging no one had the balls to pipe up and say, Hey, wow, got to take a knee here.
If nothing else, at least Manny could spit out the analytics tied to game situations.
Would love to see or hear what went into the decision explained by Mario, assistants as well as players, though probably will get an update on Zion’s situation before that happens.

For those of who (I maybe in that camp) who say Mario, and that it is the dumbest coaching decision in CFB history, @NC_Canes_11, then does that mean Mario is mentally challenged? A smart person cannot possibly do the dumbest thing in history.

So moving froward do we accept that we have a dummy as a head coach but we will cheer and support nonetheless?
Didn’t we accept it last year? We saw the guy take two timeouts, instead of taking the meaningless 5 yard delays (with Hedley who has a monster leg) on 4th down at midfield only to punt both times. And you could argue those weren’t even his worst uses of timeouts. And again he’s done this before and lost a game. There’s also no less than a thousand posts here talking about him being a bad gameday coach.

So yes the ones that pay attention accepted this long ago.

C’mon mod, you’re better than this. The only HC mistake bigger than Mario’s is Pete Carroll’s in the Super Bowl

This was worse, just not as big of a game. You can’t possibly make a bigger mistake than what you saw last night.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back