Big Vince retires officially

58straight

Junior
Retirement in the internet age is nothing like the stuffy press conferences of old. So it should not come as a surprise that Vince Wilfork, one of the greatest nose tackles -- and personalities -- in NFL history, went out with a bang on Monday.

The 35-year-old run stuffer, who flirted with the idea of retirement after Houston was bounced from the playoffs this past season, made it official via a sponsored Kingsford Barbecue video hyping up his next career as a champion of smoked meats.

Follow
Vince Wilfork ✔ @wilfork75
Well y’all – it’s been a great run, but the time has come. @Kingsford #Sponsored
12:00 PM - Aug 7, 2017
685 685 Replies 6,718 6,718 Retweets 11,325 11,325 likes

Boiling down Wilfork's career to this would be a tremendous disservice and hopefully there is a chance to celebrate the scope of his on-field accomplishments.

A first-round pick by the New England Patriots in 2004, Wilfork won a pair of Super Bowls for Bill Belichick, made five Pro Bowl appearances and earned a first-team All-Pro nod in 2012 and three second-team All-Pro nods. He finishes his career with 16 sacks, 12 fumble recoveries, 24 pass breakups, three interceptions and five forced fumbles alongside 559 tackles.

Of course, the complicated aspect of Wilfork's legacy is the effect he had on opposing offenses -- something that cannot fit neatly into a box score.

Nose tackles are thought to be a dying breed in the NFL, but in Belichick's versatile, shape-shifting defense, Wilfork was a perfect centerpiece. From expertly swallowing up double-teams to creating five-car pileups in the backfield, there was often no answer for the 330-plus pound behemoth.

His legendary Hard Knocks appearance in Houston decked out with custom denim overalls introduced Wilfork to a new town full of adoring fans, but may have obscured the central takeaway that should be associated with his career: Wilfork was almost impossible to block for more than a decade and, in an NFL era when fans are becoming more knowledgeable about the plays that truly change a game, Wilfork should be given Hall of Fame consideration.

The competitive barbecue circuit won't know what hit it.

Vince Wilfork announces retirement with BBQ ad - NFL.com

Advertisement
1st ballot guaranteed.

I don't think he'll get a first ballot nod, but he'll be in for sure. Some of those numbnut voters look at box score info only. Vince allowed those LBs to look a lot better than they were. He collapsed the pocket dang near every time. Vince is one of my all time favorites, man. I hated he played for the Pats, but what he did couldn't be put in a box score and I hope voters see his on field impact vs. just numbers.

Advertisement
Congrats to Big Vince on a great career. I hope that means he visits Coral Gables more frequently. Great story for him to tell going from a 4-3 DT at Miami to a 3-4 NT in the NFL. Best of luck to him in his next career. If he opens a BBQ joint I'm going. Love me some BBQ.

Go Canes!

I agree he wont be first ballot, maybe not even 2nd but for sure he should be in. I will never forget that kill shot he put on Leon Washington in the Orange Bowl. That was beautiful.

Advertisement
1st ballot guaranteed.

I don't think he'll get a first ballot nod, but he'll be in for sure. Some of those numbnut voters look at box score info only. Vince allowed those LBs to look a lot better than they were. He collapsed the pocket dang near every time. Vince is one of my all time favorites, man. I hated he played for the Pats, but what he did couldn't be put in a box score and I hope voters see his on field impact vs. just numbers.

He's got as good as numbers as any other DT's there now.

Best player in the history of his position. Redefined NT.

It's amazing he actually has some national endorsements deals now. I think what may hurt his HOF chances is that NG is often-overlooked but I get the sense that getting the endorsement of guys like Belichick and being on a lot of winning teams will help his cause

If Im not mistaken, I believe this leaves Gore as the last remaining player from the 2001 team playing in the league

Advertisement
75wilfork0313-0061.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back