BIG TEN DONE

Did the decision come by some sort of virtual meeting and needed to be done in person for it to be official or something like that?

That is the only thing I can think of that kind of makes sense, but the Comish looks even more stupid if he did not look into the Conference bylaws of meetings and voting procedures.

Advertisement
If I were the commissioner of the ACC, I would call Penn State and see if they wanted to join ND in the ACC. The SEC invites OSU and the Big 12 adds Huskers again. Let Northwestern the Michigan schools and The I State schools play minor league football full time.

If I were the commissioner of the ACC, I would call Penn State and see if they wanted to join ND in the ACC. The SEC invites OSU and the Big 12 adds Huskers again. Let Northwestern the Michigan schools and The I State schools play minor league football full time.
I had that same thought about PSU & ND.

Wonder if they can play NCAA on PlayStation like NASCAR did? Then they can have a season with no virus fears.

Advertisement
There was a Big Ten vote but now they trying to back track all the BS they tried to pull. The commissioner is about to fall on the sword for all the Big Ten Presidents that thought they had enough power to stop CFB. I hope from now on the ACC & SEC give them a big "F*ck You" whenever they try to schedule a game.

On Sunday, Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields started a petition requesting that the Big Ten immediately reinstate the 2020 season, and by Monday morning, it had garnered more than 223,000 signatures. Parent groups from Ohio State, Penn State and Iowa also sent letters to Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren asking for more communication and an opportunity to discuss the decision with him.

The Big Ten has acknowledged receipt of the letters but hasn't had any further comment, including on Monday when reached by ESPN.

On Sunday, Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields started a petition requesting that the Big Ten immediately reinstate the 2020 season, and by Monday morning, it had garnered more than 223,000 signatures. Parent groups from Ohio State, Penn State and Iowa also sent letters to Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren asking for more communication and an opportunity to discuss the decision with him.

The Big Ten has acknowledged receipt of the letters but hasn't had any further comment, including on Monday when reached by ESPN.
Is there no minimum amount of time they need to practice in order to play a season, or is that pretty much thrown out the window with the truncated schedule and delayed start?

Is there no minimum amount of time they need to practice in order to play a season, or is that pretty much thrown out the window with the truncated schedule and delayed start?
Nah, there has to be a normal ramp up. That is actually dangerous not to do, and I can't imagine the NCAA rescinding those rules because the B10 did an oopsie.

Advertisement
Nah, there has to be a normal ramp up. That is actually dangerous not to do, and I can't imagine the NCAA rescinding those rules because the B10 did an oopsie.
Right. That's why I'm wondering what the timeframe for that ramp up is because this attempt to flip the B10 decision becomes strictly performative if they aren't within regulation.

I'm not criticizing your position, I'm just asking why people think that Ped State would suddenly make the ACC more desirable for Notre Dame than it already is. ND really doesn't have a history with Ped State that automatically makes the ACC more compelling.

Ped State has played ND 19 times in nearly 110 years and has no future games scheduled. So this is approximately one game every 6 years.

Miami has played ND 27 times in 65 years, and we have a game scheduled for 2024. So this is one game every 2.4 years. Miami is the TWELFTH most common game for ND.

Of the 11 teams who have played ND more frequently than UM (and the 16 total which have played ND 20 times or more):

Service academies:
1. Navy - 93 games
6. Army - 49 games
11. Air Force - 30 games (no future games currently scheduled)

Big 10:
3. Purdue - 83 games
5. Michigan State - 65 games
7. Michigan - 38 games
8. Northwestern - 37 games
13. Indiana - 25 games
15. Iowa - 24 games

Pac 12:
2. USC - 91 games
10. Stanford - 34 games

ACC:
4. Pitt - 68 games
9. GaTech - 35 games
13. BC - 25 games
16. UNC - 20 games

So what are the ACC's options that would make the ACC more palatable to ND?

A. Take Navy (fills in a "Maryland school" slot vacated by Maryland)
B. Take a Big 10 school - highly unlikely to get Michigan/MSU/Iowa. Indiana/Purdue/Northwestern would be appealing for local rivalry, but are probably net "takers" from Big 10. Long shot crazy idea could involve going after Maryland/Rutgers, though neither school has played ND more than 5 times, but would make some geographic/market size sense.
C. Wild *** hail mary - approach USC, given that the Pac 12 is unlikely to play.
D. Incredibly unlikely - Ped State/WVU

Some time back, didn't the NCAA say it was 4 weeks minimum of practice in order to play? I seem to remember that's how we got to the beginning of August.

Advertisement
Some time back, didn't the NCAA say it was 4 weeks minimum of practice in order to play? I seem to remember that's how we got to the beginning of August.

You're right. I haven't found the full finalized plan, but this is what was put forth two months ago as the proposal of which I assume the schools are now following.

Under the plan, normal “required” summer workouts, which includes coaching interaction, could begin for some as early as July 6......The required workouts would lead into what’s being termed as “enhanced” summer training, a two-week stretch constituting the first portion of the proposed six-week preseason practice plan.......In enhanced summer training, athletes are allowed 20 hours a week for activities. That includes eight hours of strength training and film review, an hour walk-through practice each day and an hour of daily team meetings. Enhanced training has been compared to NFL OTAs, but players cannot wear helmets or pads during walk-throughs. However, they can use a football, the plan says. A normal four-week preseason camp would begin after two weeks of enhanced training.

The start date of each of these activity segments—required workouts, enhanced training and preseason camp—is determined by a team’s first game. Those starting on Week 1, Labor Day weekend, could begin required workouts July 13, enhanced training July 24 and camp Aug. 7. For those starting a week before, on Week 0, activities can move up by a week. The final version of the plan could see slight adjustments in those dates, says Lyons.

Approval of plan 3 days later

Last edited:
twitter blocked at work but Minnesota president Joan Gabel said nobody voted lol this is gona be fun
The ironic thing is the commissioner Warren and his cronies basically took this stance to protect their jobs, and it might end up costing them their jobs in the long run

Advertisement
now this presents an interesting question. Can you crown a national champion this year without all P5 participating? I see our luck we roll the table and beat Clemson somehow and there’s no place to play the CFB championship.

Sure you can...just like any sports competition... if a team or athlete
cannot participate because of injuries, disciplinary action or choose not to participate... even if the powers at be chose for them they forfeit ....and by the way just because a team is ranked in the
top five ....doesn't mean they were guaranteed anything...they could
lose just as easily as win.

Well, I live in Chicago, and if parents come from other states that are on the list they better have some money to stay at a hotel for more then 2 weeks, since Chicago has a 2-week quarantine in effect.

I'm not criticizing your position, I'm just asking why people think that Ped State would suddenly make the ACC more desirable for Notre Dame than it already is. ND really doesn't have a history with Ped State that automatically makes the ACC more compelling.

Ped State has played ND 19 times in nearly 110 years and has no future games scheduled. So this is approximately one game every 6 years.

Miami has played ND 27 times in 65 years, and we have a game scheduled for 2024. So this is one game every 2.4 years. Miami is the TWELFTH most common game for ND.

Of the 11 teams who have played ND more frequently than UM (and the 16 total which have played ND 20 times or more):

Service academies:
1. Navy - 93 games
6. Army - 49 games
11. Air Force - 30 games (no future games currently scheduled)

Big 10:
3. Purdue - 83 games
5. Michigan State - 65 games
7. Michigan - 38 games
8. Northwestern - 37 games
13. Indiana - 25 games
15. Iowa - 24 games

Pac 12:
2. USC - 91 games
10. Stanford - 34 games

ACC:
4. Pitt - 68 games
9. GaTech - 35 games
13. BC - 25 games
16. UNC - 20 games

So what are the ACC's options that would make the ACC more palatable to ND?

A. Take Navy (fills in a "Maryland school" slot vacated by Maryland)
B. Take a Big 10 school - highly unlikely to get Michigan/MSU/Iowa. Indiana/Purdue/Northwestern would be appealing for local rivalry, but are probably net "takers" from Big 10. Long shot crazy idea could involve going after Maryland/Rutgers, though neither school has played ND more than 5 times, but would make some geographic/market size sense.
C. Wild *** hail mary - approach USC, given that the Pac 12 is unlikely to play.
D. Incredibly unlikely - Ped State/WVU
You're overthinking this, we just need 2 more teams to keep the Coastal and Atlantic equal in number of teams. Penn State is better than any of those teams for our other team to incorporate, aside from USC.

Advertisement
Back