X's and O's Better Hire: Cristobal at Miami or Venables at Oklahoma

Screenshot_20221007-130149_Kiwi Browser.jpg

Advertisement
The HC is only one piece of the larger puzzle. 1) Will Mario get the financial support via NIL to land and retain top talent? 2) Will Mario be able to overcome almost 20 years of bad results before Miami fans fly banners? 3) Can Brent recruit? 4) Can Brent get along with offensive minds and let them run that part of the show without conflict? Tons and tons of additional questions but you get the picture (not an Anal Banger)
Um....um.....how did we get to an anal banger reference?

This ain't that kinda party. However ypu might want to check out the numerous nun **** threads.

Has this thread, like most others on CIS, taken its dark inevitable turn??

I think venables walked in to a similar situation as Mario. He walked in to a mutiny and players not sure of their future with the team. Both situations are tough. I pick Mario because he has a personal interest in the program and it goes beyond business and contracts.

Um....um.....how did we get to an anal banger reference?

This ain't that kinda party. However ypu might want to check out the numerous nun **** threads.

Has this thread, like most others on CIS, taken its dark inevitable turn??
Whoops... it just slipped.

I thought I stayed on topic excluding the last reference.

It's no guarantee Venables fields an elite defense as HC. He could easily end up like Manny Diaz, who if you don't know was the HC at Miami the past 3 years, but prior to that he was their DC. He was a first time HC at Miami and his defenses were his downfall ironically enough.

I’d be willing to take that bet

Advertisement
I think venables walked in to a similar situation as Mario. He walked in to a mutiny and players not sure of their future with the team. Both situations are tough. I pick Mario because he has a personal interest in the program and it goes beyond business and contracts.
You could say Venables has a similar interest in OU as he coached there, including DC for years early in his career, so his too was a sort of homecoming.

Both Mario and Venables have changes make.

Lincoln Riley did not leave a good defense, so this makes it difficult for Venables to transition to his scheme. Will take solid recruiting and coaching. He was smart to hire an top OC and already has offensive talent. Riley poaching Caleb Williams left the QB room a little bare.

Mario has a more difficult job. Neither side of the ball is up to Mario’s desire for physicality. The mistake was an OC hire to transition to a ‘power spread’ without having the roster to implement one. Injuries to the RB room have not helped. TVD’s struggles are disappointing. He put up big numbers the second half of the season but lost his two top receivers with no one stepping up to replace them.

Right now I’d say Venables has to rebuild his defense, whereas Mario has to rebuild both sides of the ball.

We will need to revisit this question when both teams finish the season.

I would not trade a good recruiter with HC experience for a defensive coordinator in year 1 as HC.

Advertisement
Get blown out by Texas in their biggest game of the year and yeah he might not even make it through year 3

49-0 Jesus. No excuses for that, just like no excuses for Mario losing to MTSU. But imagine if Mario lost 49-0 to FSU this year? CIS would run him out Miami. Venables is in way over his head.

Yes, let's foolishly blame the state of the current roster on the newly hired head coach who is in his first full recruiting season.
Yes, because Rick Stockstill at Middle Tennessee St coaching circles around and kicking Cristobal's *** up and down the field is somehow everyone's fault but Mario's.

Advertisement
Yes, because Rick Stockstill at Middle Tennessee St coaching circles around and kicking Cristobal's *** up and down the field is somehow everyone's fault but Mario's.
What's worse, losing by 14 points to a Sun Belt school or losing 49-0 to your biggest rival?

Advertisement
What's worse, losing by 14 points to a Sun Belt school or losing 49-0 to your biggest rival?
its not even close...your team should be prepared and motivated to play your biggest rival. And since we talking about MTSU, is not even close to worse loss I remember..that was losing at home to UVA 48-0.

The former, because at least with the latter its a conference game and a school that's on your level in a sense. And that 14 point victory wasn't as close as the score indicated.
You're wrong. You're thinking too small. Losing 49-0 to your biggest rival and team you primarily recruit against is much worse. No excuse for either of those losses happening but rivalry games mean more. It's what makes college football, college football. Miami fired Diaz after losing to the worst FSU team in probably the history of their program. It's unacceptable to lose like that to your rival.

Advertisement
Back