Best recruiting states for the U (outside of Florida)

Sooch

Redshirt Freshman
This site is always entrenched in FLORIDA football, and FLORIDA recruiting, and more about specific Counties than actually talking about any other states. The reality of University of Miami football is that some of the key players over the years did not come from the Sunshine state.... Testaverde, Kelly, Maryland, Shockey, Searcy, Stubbs, Olsen, Winslow II, Dorsey, Torretta, McKinnie, Romberg, ....Kaaya, Njoku, AQM, Jenkins, Berrios, Gus Edwards, Elder, Herndon, Willis, ....

Just curious, outside of Florida, what do you see as the next 3-4 key states to recruiting football at The U?

for me....

1) California - so many all time great have come from this state over the years. Not only is it a huge state but incredible skilled position players have emerged consistently.
2) Georgia - we are starting to make a push and Richt and staff should make this even more of a focus moving forward. Some big boys from this state.
3) New Jersey (NJ is small but very populated and is key to the U in the past and presently. There is great HS football in this state and The U should go even deeper into the talent pool. Don Bosco, St Joes, Paramus Catholic have played the FL teams tough over the years.
4) Louisianna? We have pulled from this state. Logically, the talent is in TEXAS and they should be tops BUT over the years, it is just not a place where the U can recruit.

What do you guys think?

Advertisement
establishing a pipeline to Louisiana and north florida/georgia would be huge because they produce so many guys in the trenches especially the DT's we have been missing

We were pretty good in Texas for a while. We haven't really been a player there since Butch left, but Mack Brown and Bob Stoops had more to do with that than anything else.

Miami has a strong history of recruiting talented kids from California and Texas.

Advertisement
Got some kids out a PA back in the day too -- Kelly for one. Also, OP left out the man who brought the FIRST NC to The U -- Kosar.

After Florida-CA, TX, LA, GA, NJ. The first four states are loaded, NJ kids are easy sells and they produce quality if not quantity.

You need to follow the demographic trends AND the climate to play 365...large populations or growing populations + year round competion = more athletes to choose from...its what made SoFla the powerhouse it became (and still is) starting in the late 70s (because population boom started in late 60s and our natural weather advantage)...

While declining, California still has a massive population AND the weather to play 365...

Texas...particularly San Antonio in the coming years (fastest growing metro in US)...Austin...Dallas..Houston too...

Georgia...Atlanta area...

South Carolina...Columbia metro...

North Carolina (fastest growing state in South..passed Florida by % of growth)...Charlotte and Raleigh areas..

and of course SoFla with Jupiter coming into more play in years ahead as population creeps north...

All other areas really offer onsey-twosey type selections...

Its math + weather for bang for the buck.

You need to follow the demographic trends AND the climate to play 365...large populations or growing populations + year round competion = more athletes to choose from...its what made SoFla the powerhouse it became (and still is) starting in the late 70s (because population boom started in late 60s and our natural weather advantage)...

While declining, California still has a massive population AND the weather to play 365...

Texas...particularly San Antonio in the coming years (fastest growing metro in US)...Austin...Dallas..Houston too...

Georgia...Atlanta area...

South Carolina...Columbia metro...

North Carolina (fastest growing state in South..passed Florida by % of growth)...Charlotte and Raleigh areas..

and of course SoFla with Jupiter coming into more play in years ahead as population creeps north...

All other areas really offer onsey-twosey type selections...

Its math + weather for bang for the buck.

Good points when you think about it that way. I still think you have to go outside of florida for the Trenches. Some of the great lineman should be stolen from PA, Texas, Ohio......

Advertisement
For me, I'd like to see a recruiting pattern like this each year:

* 1-2 from Cali. Been good to the Canes
* 1-2 from Texas/LA. We've slipped here recently.
* 2 from Georgia. Work the Richt connections
* 1-2 from NY/NJ.
* 1-2 from everywhere else, eg Ohio, I'll, Iowa, etc
* remainder from Florida

Miami's had success with some kids from California and Louisiana. As mentioned earlier, Texas used to be a hot spot but has dried up for Miami over the last decade or so. Maybe with Texas floundering, Baylor about to get the death penalty and A&M in a constant state of flux, they can start to make some recruiting inroads there again. I'm assuming Richt can use his background to help bring in more north Florida/ Georgia kids.

* 1-2 from NY/NJ.
* remainder from Florida

So you're say 50% of the class be OOS?

Advertisement
If you mean the best states across the history of Miami's run since the 80s, I wouldn't have Georgia on the list - we haven't gotten too many players from there over the years...

In recent years we've gotten some including Allen Bailey, who may have been the first big-time player we've gotten from the state...

I'd probably have Texas, California, New Jersey and Louisiana as the top 4 states that we've gotten the most solid players from (not in any order, just listing four of them....)

With Richt here, Georgia will likely be a state giving us solid players regularly which will be a major plus for us....

This site is always entrenched in FLORIDA football, and FLORIDA recruiting, and more about specific Counties than actually talking about any other states. The reality of University of Miami football is that some of the key players over the years did not come from the Sunshine state.... Testaverde, Kelly, Maryland, Shockey, Searcy, Stubbs, Olsen, Winslow II, Dorsey, Torretta, McKinnie, Romberg, ....Kaaya, Njoku, AQM, Jenkins, Berrios, Gus Edwards, Elder, Herndon, Willis, ....

Just curious, outside of Florida, what do you see as the next 3-4 key states to recruiting football at The U?

for me....

1) California - so many all time great have come from this state over the years. Not only is it a huge state but incredible skilled position players have emerged consistently.
2) Georgia - we are starting to make a push and Richt and staff should make this even more of a focus moving forward. Some big boys from this state.
3) New Jersey (NJ is small but very populated and is key to the U in the past and presently. There is great HS football in this state and The U should go even deeper into the talent pool. Don Bosco, St Joes, Paramus Catholic have played the FL teams tough over the years.
4) Louisianna? We have pulled from this state. Logically, the talent is in TEXAS and they should be tops BUT over the years, it is just not a place where the U can recruit.

What do you guys think?

First and foremost recruit the best players regardless of where they from. Since the discussion is states/areas then the entire Southeast and Cali. Miami has a special allure as a location as does the state (Orlando south). Being able to pluck top talent from Georgia, Louisiana, Texas and Cali will make for championship teams. With such a strong base for talent we have less of a need than say bama to get talent from OOS. That's not to say we don't need to, but bama will never field a championship team with skill players from OOS.

My bad.....that's not to say we don't need to, but bama will never field a championship team "without" skill players from OOS.

Advertisement
I think we need to forge ground in the "DMV" (DC Maryland Virginia) area.
They have a ton of talented kids who usually end up leaving state to go to school & having a pipeline in that region would give us an advantage on the rest of the ACC.
VA, Va Tech, Pitt, Syracuse, Oh St, Michigan, Penn st, Maryland, FSU & Bama all recruit that region and usually snag in some really good players.

* 1-2 from NY/NJ.
* remainder from Florida

So you're say 50% of the class be OOS?

Sigma, I'm not quite following your math. It would be 6-8 OOS kids in a class of 25. We are on this track right now as 5 of our 18 verbal commits for 2017 are from OOS.

Last edited:
Aside from florida, we must never just focus on certain states. We would easily overlook the talent in areas such as northen Vermont, Central Wyoming, and in Sasquatchian

For all th worthy mockery of Goldens NJ infatuation it's funny to see two of our best players are from there (njoku and aqm). Between those two corn and kaaya one could argue that are best players are all from OOS. I would say Grace and Coley are right up there too though.

Advertisement
Back