Best recruiter of all time

Karlnolits26

Redshirt Freshman
Who is the best recruiter we ever had? Part 1: head coach part 2: position coach

I have only been following recruiting since 2008 so I would say
1. CMR
2. Hartley or Clint Hurtt

Advertisement
1. schnellenberger. everyone else had something to build on. schnellenberger had a dumpster fire and convinced the best south florida athletes to stay home and create something (and before someone says butch davis, he was the best evaluator and developer of talent. not necessarily the best at getting the "top" recruits).
2. james coley. did it at fsu, did it here, and is doing it at uga. ****** oc, unbelievable recruiter. still can't believe some of the guys he got to come despite golden.

1. schnellenberger. everyone else had something to build on. schnellenberger had a dumpster fire and convinced the best south florida athletes to stay home and create something (and before someone says butch davis, he was the best evaluator and developer of talent. not necessarily the best at getting the "top" recruits).
2. james coley. did it at fsu, did it here, and is doing it at uga. ****ty oc, unbelievable recruiter. still can't believe some of the guys he got to come despite golden.

Believe it or not, one person I spoke to years ago told me Lou Saban was the best overall coach, said we would have won a NC even sooner had he stayed and could get any player he wanted, suggesting that Saban was a better recruiter, too.

Don't forget that a lot of Schnelly's early success was with Saban's players.

JJ had an eye for talent, would see the athletes playing BB and translate it to Football.

Advertisement
2. james coley. did it at fsu, did it here, and is doing it at uga. ****ty oc, unbelievable recruiter. still can't believe some of the guys he got to come despite golden.

This. I will say this though if Hartley continues his ruthless ways he will continue to rise the ladder to the top.

Advertisement
Butch and Schnells are my top two. Bobby Bowden, an excellent recruiter himself, once said that Butch Davis was the best recruiter he ever went up against. He said that while Butch was still an assistant coach under Jimmy. I don't have much of a handle on coaches from other schools because I have only really paid attention to UM.

Believe it or not, one person I spoke to years ago told me Lou Saban was the best overall coach, said we would have won a NC even sooner had he stayed and could get any player he wanted, suggesting that Saban was a better recruiter, too.

Don't forget that a lot of Schnelly's early success was with Saban's players.

Yeap Lou could recruit, but Howard put the hardware in the case so him. But truthfully, it has to be Butch. Recruited for Jimmy so as position coach, left fearsome amount of talent for Dennis and then did the greatest job ever afterward as HC. Total picture, I personally go with Howard. I know him from Dolphins days and then UM. His pedigree is unbelievable: The Bear, Allen at the Rams, Shula.

Advertisement
Advertisement
IMG_1090.jpg

Advertisement
Back