Best player ever from the U?

Gore's college career is overrated. I do think he could have been better in college if it weren't for his injuries.

His NFL career is a lot more impressive than his college career was.
This entire post is a pile of steaming Sh*t....
You do think his College career would have been better without 2 ACLs on his knees???....Jesus H Christ....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gore's college career is overrated. I do think he could have been better in college if it weren't for his injuries.

His NFL career is a lot more impressive than his college career was.
Unbelievable that he didn't have any further knee problems while in the NFL after tearing his right ACL IN 2002 and his left in 2003. His only major injury in the NFL was a hip fracture toward the end of the 2010 season.

Both Reed and Taylor were tremendous players. I’ve seen the Sean Taylor strip in the Fiesta mentioned a couple times in this thread. Definitely sucked, but why bring that up when Ed Reed and every other player in the history of sports, including Michael Jordan, has a bad play in their career? Most have many. Ed Reed slowed down which caused him to have a bad angle and led to Chafie Fields’ game winning score against Penn State. Doesn’t take away from the fact Reed is an all-time great player.

ST blew coverages quite a bit because he was so physically gifted he thought he could get back with his range. He also had some pretty big boners in big spots , Osu being one and the muff against UT that set up their only td.

I usually don’t post that stuff because it’s over but it’s also the reason why I think the “ ST is the best “ talk is crazy. He had one unreal year his last year but at no point was he ever better than Reed. F ups is part of the judging process and ST had a lot more . People just get caught up in the physical traits when deciding this. But the actual play on the field is how it’s decided . ST started one season and it was an all time great season but if you’re having these debates everything is open for discussion. Even if the player is no longer with us.

Btw, how crazy is it the only knock we can find on Reed is a bad angle from his what Soph year ? That dude played about as much football as a guy can play while here.

Advertisement
Unbelievable that he didn't have any further knee problems while in the NFL after tearing his right ACL IN 2002 and his left in 2003. His only major injury in the NFL was a hip fracture toward the end of the 2010 season.
He also had a Torn Meniscus at UM as well

Not sure what injury you're speaking about. Academics is why alot of schools didn't go after him on top of competition. Recruiting was more about who you know at the time. Also just realized a few people said Sean was a 5 star. Not sure if u said that too. Someone said that's what seperates him And Ed. Ed was a 2 or 3 star. Sean to almost everywhere was a 3 star. He was just ranked high in Dade county

biggest reason for the lack of buzz was the Gulliver coaching staff had never had a real FBS-caliber recruit and then two transferred in. Gulliver wasn’t a football power at the time (at best they were losing in regional quarters or semis pretty much every year to Pace). It was much more common that a great Gulliver player would go to an Ivy, or the FAMU route (e.g. Geremy Hannah) because they just weren’t that elite.

Gulliver coaches at the time were really nice guys but had no college connections whatsoever. UM knew Buck — he was the QB MVP at their summer camp — but Sean really only had one year of varsity tape because he was academically ineligible at Killian (hence why his dad personally went to Marian Krutulis asking her to enroll Sean).

Sean was a 1000-yard rusher his junior year, but it wasn’t really until AFTER his senior year when he set the state touchdown record that he began getting recognized as the top “athlete” in Dade. Rolle and Gore were the two big fish in that class. I am fairly certain Sean’s only solid offers were Miami, Clemson and Iowa State (Chizik at the time I believe).

worked out great for us, but there were a couple other guys on that Gulliver team who probably lost out on some college attention because the coaching staff wasn’t in tune with that stuff.

ST blew coverages quite a bit because he was so physically gifted he thought he could get back with his range. He also had some pretty big boners in big spots , Osu being one and the muff against UT that set up their only td.

I usually don’t post that stuff because it’s over but it’s also the reason why I think the “ ST is the best “ talk is crazy. He had one unreal year his last year but at no point was he ever better than Reed. F ups is part of the judging process and ST had a lot more . People just get caught up in the physical traits when deciding this. But the actual play on the field is how it’s decided . ST started one season and it was an all time great season but if you’re having these debates everything is open for discussion. Even if the player is no longer with us.

Btw, how crazy is it the only knock we can find on Reed is a bad angle from his what Soph year ? That dude played about as much football as a guy can play while here.
I don’t remember Taylor making mistakes. Or Reed. They were two of the best we will ever see.

If your referring to the 99 Penn St game....it wasn't so much a Bad angle...but he was out of place to begin with...

Advertisement
If your referring to the 99 Penn St game....it wasn't so much a Bad angle...but he was out of place to begin with...
Way he used to explain it is he had to bait the QBs. He would take that baiting **** to an extreme sometimes. But he did it because he always felt they were still in his range. He also had that much confidence in the rest of the group.

Way he used to explain it is he had to bait the QBs. He would take that baiting **** to an extreme sometimes. But he did it because he always felt they were still in his range. He also had that much confidence in the rest of the group.
Similar to when he baited Manning, that Belichek said was one of the Greatest plays he ever saw....

Depends on the definition of "best player". Production? Titles? Awards?

I never thought I'd see a player I'd consider better than Marino. But Sean Taylor stands head and shoulders above any other player I have ever seen. His talent and impact on games was truly indescribable. He would have dominated anywhere, CB, DE, LB, RB, WR, TE.

This is one of my favourite ST videos, no music, just the redskins home broadcast commentary. Those guys gradually start to realise just how special the kid was during this one:

When did you ever see a defensive back destroy Lorenzo Neal?

Neal is one of the hardest hitting blocking backs in the history of the league.

Just WOW.

Advertisement
So underrated by so much of our fanbase. I take some solace in the fact that many might have been just a tad bit too young to appreciate how great he was.....or something..

OK, first off, I'm going to say something that hurts me to say b/c of my affinity of ST26:
2003 BCS bowl game: If Ed Reed makes that same interception, he doesn't get stripped by Maurice Clarett. ST26 is by far the most naturally gifted S we've ever seen, imo. Imo, he would've had a better overall career, statistcially, than ER20 b/c he was truly a manchild. BUT ER20's IQ and natural instincts for the game? Talk to any elite CFB or NFL coach and they'll tell you ER was second to none at baiting the best QBs to think a WR was wide open and once he got the ball in his hand, he goes from DB to RB immediately.

Now, as far as best at Miami? Imma have to go Dan Morgan, and the only reason why his career at Miami gets skipped, despite him being our most decorated player is b/c his NFL career was cut short due to injuries. But a healthy NFL Dan Morgan was a dominant Dan Morgan like he was at Miami. (See his most healthy campaign in 2004) I don't think Dan ever played more than 75% of any NFL season b/c he was always dealing w/ injuries and migraines. But that's why his career here get glossed over.

Yeah those concussions cut short what would have been a first ballot Hall of Fame career for Dan.

The way he read run plays was ridiculous. I have never seen a guy get to the ball carrier through traffic like that. He put up 15 tackle games like it was easy.

No wonder they can’t find Sasquatch.

Somebody shaved him, put him on a football field and named him Ted Hendricks.

Many many correct answers here and **** I probably agree with most but my answer is Ken Dorsey he was the perfect QB for us at the time, **** I could put 25 guys here and noone would be the wrong answer bottom line let's just enjoy the monumental amount of talent that has rolled through Coral Cables.🍺🍺🍺

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back