Off-Topic Best place to retire in California?

Advertisement
That would be the last state in the country I would retire to. I lived in California for 6 years in the early 1970's and it was great. Today it is a third world county. Why do you think so many people are leaving California? IT SUCKS!
I get where you are coming from but if you have the money you no doubt can live the good life and avoid the issues.

Been out there a few times but no expert...Didn't care for LA but loved San Diego. Some beautiful places and people are the same anywhere just about

I get where you are coming from but if you have the money you no doubt can live the good life and avoid the issues.

Been out there a few times but no expert...Didn't care for LA but loved San Diego. Some beautiful places and people are the same anywhere just about
People really don’t realize how large of a State California is.

Everyone assumes all of Cali is like San Francisco or LA, when that’s really just the extreme examples because they’re large cities, but there’s so many really nice places in California in between SF & LA, it’s not even close to the perception that people have about it.

Advertisement

Everyone assumes all of Cali is like San Francisco or LA, when that’s really just the extreme examples because they’re large cities, but there’s so many really nice places in California in between SF & LA, it’s not even close to the perception that people have about it.
Yeah, I had a George Castanza moment in the Pacific down in San Diego. Water was cold and not like our water here in Forida lol.

I have never visited Northern California but will. I also want to see Redwoods. Wont let others or my views cheat myself out of the experience and like I said, I would imagine the people there are good people.

I Love San Diego as well. My former wife was from the Napa Valley area. Some beautiful places in California regardless of what people say.

Honestly, I love the water and mountains more than just water so that’s what I would prefer. Haven’t been to Tahoe or Oregon coast yet so hope to visit there soon.

Ah… California! The land of fruits and nuts! I moved to Cali right out of HS in 85 and set up shop in Huntington Beach. Traveled up and down the coast for about 8 months surfing and skateboarding as many spots as possible. Did that until I went completely broke and had to move my *** back to Florida. It was one of the coolest experiences of my life. I traveled as far north as Santa Barbara and all the way down to K38 in Baja California, Mexico. I spent a good amount of time in a lot of beach communities along the way but that Redondo Beach / Hermosa Beach area was probably my favorite spot. Everything about it was cool. If I were to retire in Cali, it would have to be without a doubt, in Avalon on Catalina Island.

Advertisement

People who have never been to Cali literally all think the entire state is like San Francisco and Hollywood, no joke. People want to **** on California and the costs all day long, but at the end of the day the average city in California is likely far nicer than most other states. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

It also has everything you could really desire within the state. Like literally anything you'd want to do on a little vacation trip you can find in California. Skiing/Snowboarding? Got that. Rivers/Lakes? Got that. Some of the best National Parks? Got that. Great beaches and weather? Got that. The Tech center of the universe Silicon valley and other major businesses. Wine Country and for the beer guys out there some of the best Craft Beer companies (Shout out to Russian River dropping Pliny the Younger tomorrow, which will have people literally traveling across the country and waiting in line for 6 hours to buy a case). Obviously Some of the best Schools in the country... And that's all available just generally in the bay area (well except for Snowboarding, gotta take the trek to Tahoe or something for that)...

California is just like anywhere else. You can find great places and there will be others that you wouldn't want to step foot in. The difference is the rules you have to live under. People and politics can ruin anything.

I live in LA, and retirement is coming up in 5-6-7 years. Won’t stay in LA, too crowded, but yes, there are some beautiful areas. I live the Big Sur area, Cambria. We’ll see. Or Portugal, but that’s another conversation.

Advertisement

I have been up and down Cali, and I agree with you, many parts of it are gorgeous. But part of what I do is help folks move from high tax states to low or no tax states and save a ****load of money, so someone willingly retiring to a high tax state is highly unusual, at least to me.

Advertisement
Back