Best philly cheese steaks.

24/7canes

Recruit
Have a girl friend and her crew who's going to philly just to try cheese steaks out where should she go.

Advertisement
Advertisement
For touristy spots, Jim's or Ishkabibbles, both on South St. Avoid Pat's and Geno's (except for the cheese fries). Tell them to learn how to order beforehand, I've seen plenty of tourists cursed out by the staff lol.

Advertisement
I could go for a couple now that you mention it. Like most food questions/suggestions, you will get some varied responses and everyone has their favorites. A lot has to do with your individual tastes. Personally I prefer the ribeye slices whole and not shaved or chopped so I tend to lean towards places that do it that way, but can appreciate any style. Of course you can dig in some side street corners and find a gem or 2 which I have, but also been burned a few times and would rather have had dog****. If anyone is craving one and doesnt live nearby, a couple places do ship them through Goldbelly (great app for foodies)

Steve's Prince of Steaks = One of my absolute favorites
Sonny's = Im a fan
Ishkabibbles = This is where I disagree with some...a know a number of people that love it. I think they are terrible.
Dellasandros = They really chop up the meat super fine...almost like ground beef...but I keep going back once in a while, no wrong choice there and probably my favorite that chops it up
Campo's = Overated
John's Roast Pork = Dont sleep on them, pretty **** good Philly
Max's = Never been there but Ive heard good things from a number of people
Tony Luke's = Overated...they got skimpy on the meat.
Jim's= Not terrible. Personally not a big fan
Pats/Geno's = This is where I'll catch some flack. Its touristy and cliche, but they are consistent. I dont mind them at all..but probably in part goes back to liking my steak in whole strips. If she is going to bring a cooler and bring some home for you, Geno's travels better than Pat's. Geno puts the whiz on 1st, then the meat. Pat's puts it on last so by the time you get home, its stuck to the wrapper.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Weird variation. Grew up in Bethlehem. There a place called Tallaricos served them with steak sauce , alight spices red sauce. Thats how you get them in that area. Here in MA I order marinara. Some places call them pizza steaks

Last edited:
No one tagged me or @MainLineCane ? Shame.

Lol don't go to the traps. Dalessandro's in Roxborough on Henry Avenue, Max's on the corner of Germantown and Erie in north Philly, Jim's on South Street, Leo's in Sharon Hill and one of my favorite hidden gems in South Philly, Gooie Louie's off of this street called Moyamensing Avenue. Pagano's fell off, don't go there and I don't do jersey unless I'm down the shore so I don't know about their steaks.

Advertisement
Back