Best Non-Florida School Recruiting South Florida?

Ivan McCartney was one. Geno Smith was not. Geno didn't wanna come here because we got 3 QB's the year before. And as you stated WBG, Noel Devine would not have gotten into Miami or UF. And saying he could've gotten into LSU and FSU, isn't saying much, because both of them aren't that much higher than the NCAA minimum requirement.

lol. I never stated this.

You wanted a player that went to WVU because of that. Devine is that player. Both UF and Miami stopped recruiting him due to his grades and his off the field troubles. Getting out of Florida may have been the best for him and that may be his excuse for getting out, but he would not have left the state if his options weren't limited.

This anecdotal, post hoc explanation for Devine's recruitment is of new use here. When you're making the accusations that you've made in this thread, you should have something more concrete supporting your position. You admit yourself that Florida and Miami could have backed off Devine's recruitment due to off-the-field issues, as much as the reason could have been grades.

Sorry, but until presented with hard evidence suggesting otherwise, you're wrong on this tip.

Advertisement
I never said they possibly backed off because of one or the other. They DID back off because of BOTH. If you feel the need to think that isn't true to feel better about it, and act as if you stole someone from Florida, then fine. That's on you. It's no different then any other team fans who think the same ****. Like OSU fans thinking they actually "stole" Jamaal Berry from the Big 3. Or Louisville fans thinking they "stole" guys like Burgess, Brown, or Todd Chandler(for the little time they had him) to give them something to talk **** about. The fact is, none of that is true. But fans from schools outside of Florida love to hang their hat on any kid they get from here and believe because a kid says something in an article to one of their sites, that it automatically means its true. I can't tell you how many kids have used Miami as one of their finalist when they announce what school they are gonna attend, when the kid never had an offer from Miami to begin with.

None of us have transcripts available to us, and neither do you. All you have to do is say "prove it" and declare victory. WVU's been taking the marginal-grades kids who have spent their senior years sweating scores/report cards for at least 20 years (reference Osa Nosa above) after the Big 3 back off. Come on.

None of us have transcripts available to us, and neither do you. All you have to do is say "prove it" and declare victory. WVU's been taking the marginal-grades kids who have spent their senior years sweating scores/report cards for at least 20 years (reference Osa Nosa above) after the Big 3 back off. Come on.

Osa Nosa was recruited 15 years ago, at which time Miami was in the Big East. WVU, and the rest of the Big East, stopped taking Props/Partial qualifiers 5-7 years ago. I am not disputing that WVU had the ability to take marginal qualifiers during the Prop era. What I am disputing is the idea that this practice of taking suspect qualifiers has continued. It hasn't. And so long as I live in America, I expect some level of proof to substantiate any indictment of WVU to the contrary.

Last edited:
No one said anything about partial qualifiers but you. The fact of the matter is, that schools have different requirements, above the NCAA requirements, if they choose to do so. Miami does. WVU has not and has followed the minimum NCAA requirement. Maybe that has changed in the past couple of years, but I highly doubt your requirements are that far above it. And yes, other schools do follow the minimum as well. But you tried to make it seem like only those 6 or so schools that you listed do that. That is simply false, whether you wanna believe it or not. And while that may not be the only reason a kid chooses WVU, it has played a part in it and has helped you build a pipeline to Florida schools and opened you up to other recruits who may not have a problem getting into any of the Big 3. But to act like that hasn't helped you out is nothing more than homerism.

Advertisement
And so long as I live in America, I expect some level of proof to substantiate any indictment of WVU to the contrary.

Then all you've got to do is say "show me the transcripts" and walk away, so starting this thread was pointless other than you getting that out. There are some pretty solid context clues in place.

No one said anything about partial qualifiers but you. The fact of the matter is, that schools have different requirements, above the NCAA requirements, if they choose to do so. Miami does. WVU has not and has followed the minimum NCAA requirement. Maybe that has changed in the past couple of years, but I highly doubt your requirements are that far above it. And yes, other schools do follow the minimum as well. But you tried to make it seem like only those 6 or so schools that you listed do that. That is simply false, whether you wanna believe it or not. And while that may not be the only reason a kid chooses WVU, it has played a part in it and has helped you build a pipeline to Florida schools and opened you up to other recruits who may not have a problem getting into any of the Big 3. But to act like that hasn't helped you out is nothing more than homerism.

The issue without believing what one wants to believe here is on you. As in the words of dannyboycane, you've not given ONE IOTA of evidence that WVU admits football players that Miami, Florida, etc. would not. I asked you to name ONE PLAYER in the non-prop era that went to WVU because he couldn't get into a Florida school. And you couldn't list one. What does that tell you? It tells me that what YOU want to believe does not match up with reality. Not that what I believe is inconsistent with reality.

WVU has a handful of kids committed for the 2012 season from South Florida. Two of them have already enrolled early. The rest do not anticipate any qualifying issues. I cannot recall a SoFla kid that committed to WVU that has had grade issues since Noel Devine. And even he got admitted to the other schools that pursued him to the end. It's revisionist history. And you're better than that. At best, we beat you out for Ivan McCartney. Not like you need to come up with some post hoc justification for why we're stealing a handful of recruits from you each year. We're not. And we're also not promulgating any different admission standards for our top athletic targets than you are. Period.

And so long as I live in America, I expect some level of proof to substantiate any indictment of WVU to the contrary.

Then all you've got to do is say "show me the transcripts" and walk away, so starting this thread was pointless other than you getting that out. There are some pretty solid context clues in place.

I started this thread to ask where WVU ranked relative to other out-of-state schools when it comes to landing SoFla recruits. Someone took a shot, and I responded. My reason for starting this thread had nothing to do with "getting out" my position regarding WVU academics. Try following along with the thread, next time.

The issue without believing what one wants to believe here is on you. As in the words of dannyboycane, you've not given ONE IOTA of evidence that WVU admits football players that Miami, Florida, etc. would not. I asked you to name ONE PLAYER in the non-prop era that went to WVU because he couldn't get into a Florida school. And you couldn't list one. What does that tell you? It tells me that what YOU want to believe does not match up with reality. Not that what I believe is inconsistent with reality.

WVU has a handful of kids committed for the 2012 season from South Florida. Two of them have already enrolled early. The rest do not anticipate any qualifying issues. I cannot recall a SoFla kid that committed to WVU that has had grade issues since Noel Devine. And even he got admitted to the other schools that pursued him to the end. It's revisionist history. And you're better than that. At best, we beat you out for Ivan McCartney. Not like you need to come up with some post hoc justification for why we're stealing a handful of recruits from you each year. We're not. And we're also not promulgating any different admission standards for our top athletic targets than you are. Period.

I'm sure you're a good guy but I doubt anyone here is too worried that you don't believe us. I really don't mean any personal offense by that, I'm just saying that the grandiose "you have to prove it before I believe it!" defense isn't that effective here. Everyone that isn't a WVU fan believes it. We can't go review the transcripts so it's pointless to discuss with you.

Advertisement

I started this thread to ask where WVU ranked relative to other out-of-state schools when it comes to landing SoFla recruits. Someone took a shot, and I responded. My reason for starting this thread had nothing to do with "getting out" my position regarding WVU academics. Try following along with the thread, next time.

That's a fair criticism. Rather than "starting this thread" I should have said "posting demanding proof".

I never said they possibly backed off because of one or the other. They DID back off because of BOTH. If you feel the need to think that isn't true to feel better about it, and act as if you stole someone from Florida, then fine. That's on you. It's no different then any other team fans who think the same ****. Like OSU fans thinking they actually "stole" Jamaal Berry from the Big 3. Or Louisville fans thinking they "stole" guys like Burgess, Brown, or Todd Chandler(for the little time they had him) to give them something to talk **** about. The fact is, none of that is true. But fans from schools outside of Florida love to hang their hat on any kid they get from here and believe because a kid says something in an article to one of their sites, that it automatically means its true. I can't tell you how many kids have used Miami as one of their finalist when they announce what school they are gonna attend, when the kid never had an offer from Miami to begin with.

where is chandler now?

here's my top 5...obviously, it varies slightly year to year...but IMO...

1. WVU
2. L'ville
3. Clem
4. 'bama
5. l$u

WTF are you talking about? I already told you Noel Devine. If you don't wanna believe it, because one of your "insiders" told you different about how much the kid didn't wanna go to any schools in Florida or some ****, then that's on you. But it's bull****. I can't name every kid that all schools in Florida were after. McCartney is another one, but I don't think UF or FSU were after him.

And stop with your, "show me proof" bull****. You know **** well there won't be anything like that. But that doesn't stop idiots from going around beating their chest like they won some battle. We won't get kids transcripts, we won't get our coaches to talk about it, and not very often will you actually get a kid to admit what the truth is. But that doesn't stop all you out-of-towners from going off and spouting that nonsense like you know about South Florida recruits. You don't know ****. You only know what your insiders or recruiting sites tell you. Which will always be spun positively for you to make you feel like you're stealing kids from other big time schools.

Advertisement

where is chandler now?

I think he went and committed to UCF after. Don't remember if he actually ended up there though.

WTF are you talking about? I already told you Noel Devine. If you don't wanna believe it, because one of your "insiders" told you different about how much the kid didn't wanna go to any schools in Florida or some ****, then that's on you. But it's bull****. I can't name every kid that all schools in Florida were after. McCartney is another one, but I don't think UF or FSU were after him.

And stop with your, "show me proof" bull****. You know **** well there won't be anything like that. But that doesn't stop idiots from going around beating their chest like they won some battle. We won't get kids transcripts, we won't get our coaches to talk about it, and not very often will you actually get a kid to admit what the truth is. But that doesn't stop all you out-of-towners from going off and spouting that nonsense like you know about South Florida recruits. You don't know ****. You only know what your insiders or recruiting sites tell you. Which will always be spun positively for you to make you feel like you're stealing kids from other big time schools.

I have not gone around "beating my chest like I won some battle." You have. And just like you claim that I only "know what your insiders or recruiting sites tell you," your information is the same. Don't get butthurt when you make damning accusations and can't find a shred of evidence on the internet to even remotely substantiate them.

I have NEVER said we've stolen kids from other big time schools. That's you inventing my position as a result of personal insecurity. All I've said from the jump is that kids that have chosen WVU in the past have not done so because of academic reasons. You're really showing you intellect in your inability to both follow and respond to the argument.

WVU will rarely "steal" a kid from a Florida school. I have never said that they will. But it's the mark of a ***** to say that the ONLY reason WVU gets a kid out of SoFla is because the kid can't qualify to play at any state school, especially when you can provide NO evidence that academics ever entered the kid's decision.

Personal insecurity? You mean like starting a thread on a Miami message board asking who does the best job of taking recruits from South Florida, hoping that everyone says your school? That kind of insecurity?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back