Best Developmental programs since 2012.

supacane

Senior
Are we shock with the canes or what? You can interpret this a bunch of ways. I personally think one of our big issues is such terrible takes on the eval picks and that prevents us from building any depth. Yes the 4 and 5 stars turn out fine, but when they need a breather we play like Bethune.

I remember when Manny made that mass sub against Michigan St and they just drove down the field.

If Zo and Mario can rectify that, its the foundation of turning us around. When the tv announcers ask how was this guy a 3 star and 700 in the country.

Oh and also we have not gotten enough of the 4 and 5 stars.

Thoughts.

Advertisement
Some of you may not like this answer. That’s fine - I’ll keep it short.

I think we get so enamored with the Zay Flowers/Tutu Atwell/Calijah Kancey or any SFLA 3-star that has a modicum of success outside Miami and go desperate trying to make sure we don’t miss out on the next one…when in reality there are thousands of three stars and for every single one that hits, a f^ck ton don’t. You think you’re going to find the perfect one every year? **** no, most will miss.

Stars matter, Miami is better when they get four and five-star players, and they develop them better. Shocking stuff that if you land higher-rated players, you usually end up having a better team.

Some of you may not like this answer. That’s fine - I’ll keep it short.

I think we get so enamored with the Zay Flowers/Tutu Atwell/Calijah Kancey or any SFLA 3-star that has a modicum of success outside Miami and go desperate trying to make sure we don’t miss out on the next one…when in reality there are thousands of three stars and for every single one that hits, a f^ck ton don’t. You think you’re going to find the perfect one every year? **** no, most will miss.

Stars matter, Miami is better when they get four and five-star players, and they develop them better. Shocking stuff that if you land higher-rated players, you usually end up having a better team.
Why would that make someone not like the answer. I pointed out u could go a few ways with interpretation. One of them is we need alot more 4 and 5 stars because we seem to do well from the numbers getting them drafted. But since we are not getting the level of the elite right now, the problem is the terrible eval pick ups. So u either preferrably get more 4 and 5 stars, or do better on the eval picks. Which is kinda what Michigan has done.

Imo we can use one to lead to the other since we are down the food chain now for the top top elite players until results turn in our favor.

Why would that make someone not like the answer. I pointed out u could go a few ways with interpretation. One of them is we need alot more 4 and 5 stars because we seem to do well from the numbers getting them drafted. But since we are not getting the level of the elite right now, the problem is the terrible eval pick ups. So u either preferrably get more 4 and 5 stars, or do better on the eval picks. Which is kinda what Michigan has done.

Imo we can use one to lead to the other since we are down the food chain now for the top top elite players until results turn in our favor.
You’d be surprised how many people will defend SFla til their face turns purple.

Give it a few hours and this thread will be popping.

Advertisement
I don’t like to just excuse the new guy by blaming the previous guy (politics 101 right?)

But the returns on Mannys classes have been astonishingly bad
Not to mention the massive amounts of them that declared early, often way early under Golden & Manny. I remember scratching my head at quite a few of them.

Them declaring early just hurt most of their chances to develop into an NFL player.

Advertisement
Now of that list, they should break down % drafted by each round (1-7). We’re probably pretty low

Finally! Thank u. These are blank #’s w/ zero context. I said in the Chance Robinson thread, but GTFOH w/ Stanford developing 83% of their 5* into NFL draft picks. That’s deceiving af, b/c they’ve only had six 5* recruits since 2012.

Finally! Thank u. These are blank #’s w/ zero context. I said in the Chance Robinson thread, but GTFOH w/ Stanford developing 83% of their 5* into NFL draft picks. That’s deceiving af, b/c they’ve only had six 5* recruits since 2012.
Kinda like the people that post PFF stats right after we watch our team get their asses kicked

I for one am shocked. Especially how many different staffs we have had during that time. It just shows how @WeBallinBoyz said above, we have been getting too many low three/four stsr players and very few difference makers.

We have also had a high rate of "blue chip" dudes transfer: bust. So yeah we might develop some of these dudes but we dont have thr savage different makers that take teams to the next level. The 23 class is going to change that.

I for one am shocked. Especially how many different staffs we have had during that time. It just shows how @WeBallinBoyz said above, we have been getting too many low three/four stsr players and very few difference makers.

We have also had a high rate of "blue chip" dudes transfer: bust. So yeah we might develop some of these dudes but we dont have thr savage different makers that take teams to the next level. The 23 class is going to change that.
Nobody misses as bad as we have the last 15 years yet other programs find/develop lower rated guys and they turn into gold. I wonder why? Is it bad luck ? We pick all the wrong guys or we‘ve been awful in evaluating and developing?

Advertisement
Nobody misses as bad as we have the last 15 years yet other programs find/develop lower rated guys and they turn into gold. I wonder why? Is it bad luck ? We pick all the wrong guys or we‘ve been awful in evaluating and developing?
I've always suspected we're not really evaluating well. We take a kid who has decent highlights, has a good enough rating, maybe an offer or two from some good schools, that might not necessarily be committable, and then when he gets on campus, we find issues with motivation, work ethic, mechanics, etc. and we're just not able to develop from a bad starting point. Look at Jeff Thomas, Jarren Williams, or Lorenzo Lingard. We were overjoyed to get them. They had a play or two where they looked to be the goods, but in the end, they never got any better than when they set foot on campus and in reality, weren't as good as they looked at first appearance.

There’s stats then there’s numbers. Bama hitting at almost 70 percent with the endless amount of five stars tells you more. There’s a reason recruiting sites bump players when they commit there. They know they’ll be developed and likely be in the NFL, which makes their recruiting sites look legit.

I mean If we both bang 70 percent of the girls we holler at but you've hollered at 12 , and I’ve hollered at 300 who’s more impressive? Odds are your numbers will keep dropping as you holler at more girls lol. Stats / numbers.

Yep doing this percentage based is dumb. Along the lines of your Stanford comment, we’ve only had 6 5 star recruits since 2012 that could’ve been draft eligible. So 4 of our 6 were drafted? It means nothing having so few. Show me somewhere that’s had 20 and 19 drafted first three rounds. Anyone can just luck into 4/6 5 stars taken somewhere in the draft.

Advertisement
I've always suspected we're not really evaluating well. We take a kid who has decent highlights, has a good enough rating, maybe an offer or two from some good schools, that might not necessarily be committable, and then when he gets on campus, we find issues with motivation, work ethic, mechanics, etc. and we're just not able to develop from a bad starting point. Look at Jeff Thomas, Jarren Williams, or Lorenzo Lingard. We were overjoyed to get them. They had a play or two where they looked to be the goods, but in the end, they never got any better than when they set foot on campus and in reality, weren't as good as they looked at first appearance.
Manny had zero vision and no type. He was a recruiting rankings guy. Then after he missed on all the top guys the game was over. He was taking blind stabs in the dark ( no need to name names).

Mario and Zo have a plan and know what they want here, they have a type. If you know what you want and what tangibles / intangibles you‘re looking for odds are you’ll find it. Even if it’s not the five star you had at the top. Evaluation / developing will never go instinct.

The primary issue we've had as a program over the last decade plus has been COACHING.

We've had enough talent to not be as bad as we've been. Pastor Strict proved that & his recruiting during his tenure was terrible.

Winning 8+ games a year isn't as hard as we make it.

The primary issue we've had as a program over the last decade plus has been COACHING.

We've had enough talent to not be as bad as we've been. Pastor Strict proved that & his recruiting during his tenure was terrible.

I remember when losing one game in a season was reason for mutiny.

Now we beg for no more than 4 losses.

This program can't get out if its own way

At least the AD is building big shiny buildings.

U know the kick to the nuts for those who like that chit as some sick fetish?

So first, I was absolutely attacked by a certain caliber of fan who defend the program at all cost to NOT pay attention to these 247 and other recruiting service nerds. Why were we told that? B/c of the point u just made; it fit their narrative that players have been the problem & we’re too busy being “star whores” from these nerd sites.

YET, these same caliber of fans r using this tweet to justify our development acumen; guess where they are getting this intel from? Chit, nothing gets past u; that’s right, these nerd sites that don’t know wtf they r talking about.

Interesting conundrum, if I say so. Don’t trust these sites, but trust them when they fit a narrative.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back