Best 10 Games involving Canes

2000 Miami vs FSU is the greatest Miami game ever.

In no order I would also say some of the greats are. (I'm mainly talking about games since I have been going in 94 so I can't talk about the 80's)
2004 UM v Louisville
2003 UM v UF
1998 UM v UCLA
2009 UM v FSU
2017 UM v FSU
2012 UM v GT

Advertisement
WTF???

1988 Miami at Michigan

**** with 5 minutes left the espn update guy breaks in and "says now that the top ranked hurricanes have lost" yada yada and we came back and won

also 1994 fsu at Miami, after we lost the streak, FSU came in undefeated and Ray Lewis guaranteed the Victory

shame yall youngbucks don't recall these games to mention them in the top 10 because they belong!

Headhunter is spot on. 1988 Miami at Michigan was an amazing game and an incredible comeback in the final minutes to win on the road against Michigan. The comeback had everything you could have wanted including recovering an onside kick. Those Miami teams refused to lose. The will they showed in the 4th quarter (particularly if we were behind) was a thing of beauty to behold (and a key component of winning consistently).

All of the Wide Right and Left games were nailbiters and classic games between Miami and FSU. 2000 was clearly a very special game.

The first game I ever watched live at the OB in 1988, Miami defeating #1 ranked FSU (with Deion Sanders & Sammie Smith) by a score of 31-0 was incredible. Think about that for a minute. We completely demolished an FSU team that started the season ranked #1 and was loaded with talent (including elite future NFL talent). Incredibly impressive and a real testament to just how great Miami football was in the late 80s and early 90s. Very special.

Including losses. I'd say in order they are
1. 1984 Orange Bowl Miami 31 Nebraska 30
2. 1988 ND game ND 31 Miami 30
3. 1987 Fiesta Bowl PSU 14 Miami 10
4. 2003 Fiesta Bowl OSU 31 Miami 24
5. 1991 FSU Miami 17 FSU 16
6. 1987 FSU Miami 26 FSU 25
7. 1984 BC BC 47 Miami 45
8. 1988 Orange Bowl Miami 20 Oklahoma 14
9. 2000 FSU Miami 27 FSU 24
10. 2003 UF Miami 38 BC 33

Honorary mention 1989 ND, 1998 UCLA

We won 6 of the 10 games I listed. 2 of the games (BC in 1984 and PSU in 1986) we rightfully lost and nobody complains about it. 2 of the games (1988 ND and 2003 OSU) we technically lost. I'm a little less ****ed off about the OSU game then most people are. If there had been replay back then, Chris Gamble probably would have been called in bounds on a catch with a little over 2 minutes left and we probably would have lost in regulation 17-14. This is one thing that Cane fans tend to conveniently overlook about that game. I guess in theory we could have stopped OSU on the next 3 plays, gotten the ball back with about 30 seconds left, and driven for a FG. But it's unlikely.

The ND game in 1988 on the other hand still ****es me off. I was very happy when we whipped them the next year. I was tempted to put 1989 ND in the top 10. But at the end of the day it's hard to justify calling a 17 point win an all time classic.
Hum, 17 point win against the undefeated top ranked defending national champ with your first year HC on prime time national TV with what many call the greatest 3rd down play ever, might just earn it honors. Although, like anything else, Miami, it is hard to list greatest anything if the list has a limit. But, since that game ended NDs brief return to fame, I’m putting in top ten, maybe 5.

What was great about us, was our games were exciting, win or lose. We gave life to college football that has been taken away now.

Advertisement
Headhunter is spot on. 1988 Miami at Michigan was an amazing game and an incredible comeback in the final minutes to win on the road against Michigan. The comeback had everything you could have wanted including recovering an onside kick. Those Miami teams refused to lose. The will they showed in the 4th quarter (particularly if we were behind) was a thing of beauty to behold (and a key component of winning consistently).

All of the Wide Right and Left games were nailbiters and classic games between Miami and FSU. 2000 was clearly a very special game.

The first game I ever watched live at the OB in 1988, Miami defeating #1 ranked FSU (with Deion Sanders & Sammie Smith) by a score of 31-0 was incredible. Think about that for a minute. We completely demolished an FSU team that started the season ranked #1 and was loaded with talent (including elite future NFL talent). Incredibly impressive and a real testament to just how great Miami football was in the late 80s and early 90s. Very special.

Let’s face facts, we hate about 50 or more top 10 games. For 20 years no game but urs mattered. When they did, it was only because of an earlier game of ours. That Michigan game was unreal but gets lost in the flood of great games.

2017 FSU game have to be on here. Crazy finish with a spectacular catch after not winning a game in the series in 7 years

We should add the game where Hendricks sacked Heisman winner Spurrier so many times Spurrier threw the ball at him in frustration. It was before my time, but can you imagine a guy sacking the Heisman winner like 7 times? Just unreal. Had that game happened in 1990, it would be on the list.

Advertisement
Surprised nobody mentioned the 1988 win over Michigan. We were out of it until late in the fourt qtr and came back and won it. I believe Harbaugh was their qb

Including losses. I'd say in order they are
1. 1984 Orange Bowl Miami 31 Nebraska 30
2. 1988 ND game ND 31 Miami 30
3. 1987 Fiesta Bowl PSU 14 Miami 10
4. 2003 Fiesta Bowl OSU 31 Miami 24
5. 1991 FSU Miami 17 FSU 16
6. 1987 FSU Miami 26 FSU 25
7. 1984 BC BC 47 Miami 45
8. 1988 Orange Bowl Miami 20 Oklahoma 14
9. 2000 FSU Miami 27 FSU 24
10. 2003 UF Miami 38 BC 33

Honorary mention 1989 ND, 1998 UCLA

We won 6 of the 10 games I listed. 2 of the games (BC in 1984 and PSU in 1986) we rightfully lost and nobody complains about it. 2 of the games (1988 ND and 2003 OSU) we technically lost. I'm a little less ****ed off about the OSU game then most people are. If there had been replay back then, Chris Gamble probably would have been called in bounds on a catch with a little over 2 minutes left and we probably would have lost in regulation 17-14. This is one thing that Cane fans tend to conveniently overlook about that game. I guess in theory we could have stopped OSU on the next 3 plays, gotten the ball back with about 30 seconds left, and driven for a FG. But it's unlikely.

The ND game in 1988 on the other hand still ****es me off. I was very happy when we whipped them the next year. I was tempted to put 1989 ND in the top 10. But at the end of the day it's hard to justify calling a 17 point win an all time classic.

Get this f*ckin list out of my face!

We should add the game where Hendricks sacked Heisman winner Spurrier so many times Spurrier threw the ball at him in frustration. It was before my time, but can you imagine a guy sacking the Heisman winner like 7 times? Just unreal. Had that game happened in 1990, it would be on the list.

1966, UM 21, UF 16 in that swamp hole.

1st down: Sack by Ted, 7 yd. loss.
2nd down: Spurrier is going to go down, so he throws the ball at Ted hitting him in his knee.
3rd down: 7 yd. completion to UM 30 yd. line, 4th and 10 with 2 min. to go in the game.
4th down: incompletion, and UM then runs the clock out.

Great ride back to the Gables with the top down in my chevy super sport.

Three of the best games I have seen are 2012 v GT, 2003 come back vs UF, 2016 against fsu and 2015 against Duke. I have been watching since 2001. None of those games had huge implications but all great games

Advertisement
I've been following UM football since the early 80's and I've been to some classics at the OB, JRS and on the road like Sugar Bowl and South Bend, among others. But the one game that always comes to mind when me and my boyz always talk about the good ol' days is the 27-24 FSU game in 2000. It was an instant classic. We sat in the West End zone and the action on the field and in the stands was non-stop. TD's. Chicks. Hard hits on the field and in the stands as well. We jumped out on them and I for one thought we were gonna blow them out, especially after that TD saving INT at the goal-line of the west end zone. However, FSU rallied in the 2nd half and regained all the momentum to take the lead late, but when Shockey caught that TD in the east end zone and got up with his arms raised over his head forming an "X" always comes to mind as a defining moment in UM football history. Many of us felt it was a turning point for the program. However after the TD, on the ensuing drive FSU drove down the field and looked like they were going to go in for a winning TD. Drive stalled. Bobby Bowden took his shot with a potential game tying FG, which became known as "WIDE RIGHT 3". We stayed in our seats for a good 15-20 minutes after the game just to soak in what we had witnessed. This was hands down the most entertaining UM game I'd ever watched in person.

One of my favorite memories of being a Canes fan. Asked for tickets to this game for my birthday. Still remember everything like it was yesterday.

Very good list. I'm surprised it received some grief. It wasn't titled, Greatest Canes Lopsided Victories During Glory Era, which is seemingly what some posters wanted it to be.

The 1988 Michigan game is an obvious omission, along with 2000 Florida State.

BTW, I had many of the listed games on my YouTube channel for years, until it was zapped due to International Olympic Committee complaints. I had lots of old famous Olympic events up there. That was okay until the IOC started its own channel and targeted anyone who had the most famous Olympic events already on YouTube.

The college football games seem to withstand scrutiny. I recently started a new channel under the name Wasted Century. I haven't had the energy to restore everything but I do have some Canes games up there, like the Orange Bowl 31-30 over Nebraska, 1991 Wide Right over Florida State, 1986 at Florida, 1987 hosting Florida, 1988 at Notre Dame, 1985 at Oklahoma, 1991 hosting Houston, plus the 1984 season Fiesta Bowl loss to UCLA.

I'll put some more up when I have a chance.

Thinking back, some great Canes games regardless of victor were 1975 hosting Oklahoma, 1973 season opening upset over Texas, a very high scoring last second defeat at Houston in '68 or '69, and that incredibly tense escape against East Carolina in 1983. Without all the late shifts of fortune that allowed the victory over East Carolina, the Orange Bowl versus Nebraska never happens.

Advertisement
Back