4. 2003 Fiesta Bowl OSU 31 Miami 24
5. 1991 FSU Miami 17 FSU 16
6. 1987 FSU Miami 26 FSU 25
7. 1984 BC BC 47 Miami 45
8. 1988 Orange Bowl Miami 20 Oklahoma 14
9. 2000 FSU Miami 27 FSU 24
10. 2003 UF Miami 38 BC 33

Honorary mention 1989 ND, 1998 UCLA

We won 6 of the 10 games I listed. 2 of the games (BC in 1984 and PSU in 1986) we rightfully lost and nobody complains about it. 2 of the games (1988 ND and 2003 OSU) we technically lost. I'm a little less ****ed off about the OSU game then most people are. If there had been replay back then, Chris Gamble probably would have been called in bounds on a catch with a little over 2 minutes left and we probably would have lost in regulation 17-14. This is one thing that Cane fans tend to conveniently overlook about that game. I guess in theory we could have stopped OSU on the next 3 plays, gotten the ball back with about 30 seconds left, and driven for a FG. But it's unlikely.

The ND game in 1988 on the other hand still ****es me off. I was very happy when we whipped them the next year. I was tempted to put 1989 ND in the top 10. But at the end of the day it's hard to justify calling a 17 point win an all time classic.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That 2001 BC game was HORRIBLE, and it took a lucky bounce to hold off BC. Even the Reed strip was a bad decision, as it darn well could have caused Walters to fumble, giving BC the ball back. Walters should have just gone down. So much wrong with that game it's disgusting. We should have rolled them, instead we played like complete crap.

Where is the 2003 Miami UF game?

Advertisement
49 Miami vs. #3 UCLA 45 on December 1998 in OB. I think this was a make-up game that was originally scheduled for the fall. This was the game that ended UCLA's 20-game win streak. Edge had the game of his life. He ran for like 300 yards and 3 TD's. QB for UCLA had 6 TD's. A back and forth affair in the 2nd half

Last edited:
On further reflection I'm replacing 2001 BC with 03 UF. By great games I mean games people remember and that can be found on ESPN Classic. Not games where we actually played the best.

The 1984 OB is one of my top 10 life events. Not only was it our first, but we won it as an underdog when Neb could have kicked for a tie. To this day I respect Osborne for being a real man.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If we're talking about great games, not necessarily great wins, the 1999 loss against Penn State in the Orange Bowl was a battle to remember. Penn State scored on a long pass to with like a minute and a half left. Mike Rumph got beat by some Penn State receiver I couldn't remember if you paid me. Sat in the west endzone and it rained from the opening kickoff until the end. Tough ending but a very entertaining game.

How about the asskicking of Houston, or Arkansas(longest TD pass in Miami history), Oklahoma in Norman(saving Aikmans career) crushing LSU in Baton rouge in a rainstorm, WVU in Morgantown with no time left, payback of Washington in the OB.

OP's list is a dumpsterfire

Advertisement
If we're talking about great games, not necessarily great wins, the 1999 loss against Penn State in the Orange Bowl was a battle to remember. Penn State scored on a long pass to with like a minute and a half left. Mike Rumph got beat by some Penn State receiver I couldn't remember if you paid me. Sat in the west endzone and it rained from the opening kickoff until the end. Tough ending but a very entertaining game.

Excruciating loss. Chafie Fields. I think Rumph was a freshman.

PSU and Miami 1999 were both hardly great teams.

I've been following UM football since the early 80's and I've been to some classics at the OB, JRS and on the road like Sugar Bowl and South Bend, among others. But the one game that always comes to mind when me and my boyz always talk about the good ol' days is the 27-24 FSU game in 2000. It was an instant classic. We sat in the West End zone and the action on the field and in the stands was non-stop. TD's. Chicks. Hard hits on the field and in the stands as well. We jumped out on them and I for one thought we were gonna blow them out, especially after that TD saving INT at the goal-line of the west end zone. However, FSU rallied in the 2nd half and regained all the momentum to take the lead late, but when Shockey caught that TD in the east end zone and got up with his arms raised over his head forming an "X" always comes to mind as a defining moment in UM football history. Many of us felt it was a turning point for the program. However after the TD, on the ensuing drive FSU drove down the field and looked like they were going to go in for a winning TD. Drive stalled. Bobby Bowden took his shot with a potential game tying FG, which became known as "WIDE RIGHT 3". We stayed in our seats for a good 15-20 minutes after the game just to soak in what we had witnessed. This was hands down the most entertaining UM game I'd ever watched in person.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back